Reality spells doom for GOP healthcare plan.

taichiliberal

Rookie
Aug 11, 2010
Recently my 78 yr. old father, a retired NYC homicide detective, spent 1 week in the hospital for a bladder infection. He was diagnosed, treated, fed, nurses monitored him, and released on a short out patient status.

thank God he's okay now.

The cost, $23,000. With his insurance set up through his UNION, his out of pocket was $300! $2300 for an elderly couple with medical issues (Mom has a condition for the last 16 years that requires routine check-ups and occasional hospitalization due to flare-ups) would put them in dire straights.

Now, picture someone WITHOUT a union pension and medical coverage given an $8K voucher and told to shop around for an insurance company (sans the AHCA) that will give them equal coverage!

Somebody needs to hip Romney/Ryan that their corporate flunky BS dog just isn't going to fly.

Recently my 78 yr. old father, a retired NYC homicide detective, spent 1 week in the hospital for a bladder infection. He was diagnosed, treated, fed, nurses monitored him, and released on a short out patient status.

thank God he's okay now.

The cost, $23,000. With his insurance set up through his UNION, his out of pocket was $300! $2300 for an elderly couple with medical issues (Mom has a condition for the last 16 years that requires routine check-ups and occasional hospitalization due to flare-ups) would put them in dire straights.

Now, picture someone WITHOUT a union pension and medical coverage given an $8K voucher and told to shop around for an insurance company (sans the AHCA) that will give them equal coverage!

Somebody needs to hip Romney/Ryan that their corporate flunky BS dog just isn't going to fly.

Of course GOP goal is to get rid of Medicare, but we can't overstate the obvious to Republicans too many times

Anyone who has been hospitalized recently understands the costs involved. A five day stay with a minor operation is going to run $40,000. Even if your insurance pays 80% you are on the hook for $8000.

If you are fairly well off you can withstand the $8K. But to a family struggling to get by that is devastating

Republicans are trying to substitute a voucher system where you get a set amount to shop around with. Anything above that is your problem

What happens in five or ten years when you have to ask republicans to vote on increases to the voucher amount? is Grover Norquist going to help you out?

Fact from the Government budget office. Medicare is going broke in 12 years.
Dem's New Health Care plan keeps Medicare solvent for 8 years. Then something else must be done.
Repubs plan is to reform Medicare and to keep it solvent for future generations.

Anyone who has been hospitalized recently understands the costs involved. A five day stay with a minor operation is going to run $40,000. Even if your insurance pays 80% you are on the hook for $8000.

If you are fairly well off you can withstand the $8K. But to a family struggling to get by that is devastating

Republicans are trying to substitute a voucher system where you get a set amount to shop around with. Anything above that is your problem

What happens in five or ten years when you have to ask republicans to vote on increases to the voucher amount? is Grover Norquist going to help you out?

The raises in vouchers was already put into the bill.
Seniors are paying monthly premiums right now.
The premiums for Senors are going up faster under the New Health Care Plan.
Under the New Health Care Plan the price paid to Doctors is capped. When you cap prices your have to raise the service fees in order the get payments for the cost of the service.
A simple example would be- If your Dr. charges 25.00 for an office visit, and Medicare pays only 5.00 of that, then the Doctor needs to charge Medicare 75.00 for that office visit in order to get even close to the 25.00 office visit. It raises the cost dramatically.
The problem with the new Health Care plan is that there is no competition, under the GOP's there would be competition.
When you have competition the prices are lowered.

Under the New Health Care Plan the price paid to Doctors is capped. When you cap prices your have to raise the service fees in order the get payments for the cost of the service.
A simple example would be- If your Dr. charges 25.00 for an office visit, and Medicare pays only 5.00 of that, then the Doctor needs to charge Medicare 75.00 for that office visit in order to get even close to the 25.00 office visit. It raises the cost dramatically.
The problem with the new Health Care plan is that there is no competition, under the GOP's there would be competition.

Competetition does not work very well in the health care industry.
When is the last time you shopped around for the cost of a medical procedure?

"Doctor shopping" is against the law in some cases.

how I wish the republicans would just give up the stupid.

I understand why the corporate whores all want these types of plans but why in the hell are there so many regular joes who vote republican and defend the corporate whore stupidity?

The cost of medical care is going to do nothing but go up.

Leaving in profit in the insurance industry and in care is just going to make it impossible to manage.

How can anyone be so stupid as to think there is any way to make it affordable to average people?

thank God he's okay now.

In a system where there is competition among insurance companies you would get better coverage using your voucher than in a system where the government pays, and if it doesn't there is no recourse.

Government insurance presupposes that there will be coverage available when the government itself says that coverage will be on the basis of a cost/benefit analysis with a panel determining whether or not your procedure is covered at all.

I was talking about the cost in insurance premiums and different insurance plans.

I was talking about the cost in insurance premiums and different insurance plans.

Competition doesn't work well in the health care industry! Have you noticed how elective plastic surgery has dropped in cost due to competition! It works just like it does everywhere else.

Now lets be truthful about doctor shopping. The term doctor shopping doesn't refer to comparitive shopping to obtain a lower cost. It refers to the practice of getting prescriptions for certain classes of narcotics from multiple prescribers.

What YOU call doctor shopping is generally considered a fully legal second opinion.

if you took the insurance company profits out of healthcare would the costs go down?

Dem's New Health Care plan keeps Medicare solvent for 8 years. Then something else must be done.
Repubs plan is to reform Medicare and to keep it solvent for future generations.

you can't get that through peoples heads..
that why all the fear mongering by Democrats

Apparently, even 'reality' is relative now.

No sweetheart, FACTS are FACTS! If you can show me an insurance company that can give my parents the EXACT same hospitalizaton coverage for $8K, I'm all ears. If not, then you're just blowing stubborn smoke.

That is a lie, my friend. Currently, the Obama administration is moving money from the wasteful costs in Medicare to the other aspects of the AHCA so that Medicare WILL REMAIN SOLVENT well beyond 8 years.

The GOP is simply going to strangle Medicare to the point were very few (if any) states can offer it....and NOT at the current form, as the neocon/teabaggers want to eliminate ANY choice from the public and make EVERYTHING an HMO on steriods.

Again, please show me an insurance company that can match the coverage I referred to on an $8K voucher. I'll wait.

Apparently, even 'reality' is relative now.

No sweetheart, FACTS are FACTS! If you can show me an insurance company that can give my parents the EXACT same hospitalizaton coverage for $8K, I'm all ears. If not, then you're just blowing stubborn smoke.

I don't discuss family on this board. Too many drooling morons. But, yea, I could. Still, it's of no real interest to me... other than I am glad you dad got what he needed and is now well. Long may his health continue.

Forum List

Back