REALITY COMPETITIONS - Love 'em or hate 'em, they're a really big deal these days

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
Every year there seems to be more and more progressive competition shows on TV and year by year they are claiming a larger market share. Networks dare to pit their 'big money makers' against such huge favorites as American Idol or Dancing With the Stars but generally use their 'filler' material during those time slots.

The themes for this genre widely differ, but the concept is the same. Game shows have different contestants every week. What I call the 'voyeur' shows like "Hoarders" has you looking in on some person or family in crisis and how they solve it within a single episode.

But the reality competitions introduces you to an interesting or unusually talented cast of characters who compete for the season. Over several weeks, you have time to become acquanted with (and attached to) the participants. Each week one or more or judged off or voted off by the television audience. In "Survivor" the contestants themselves boot somebody out each week. In "The Bachelor" the 'star' the women are competing for rejects one each week.

Just some of these shows off the top of my head, all with impressive ratings:
American Idol
Dancing with the Stars
So You Think You Can Dance
America's Got Talent
Hell's Kitchen
Survivor
The Apprentice
Biggest Loser
Master Chef
The Bachelor/Bachelorette
Project Runway
America's Next Top Model
Last Comic Standing

I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of right now.

I know some folks simply can't stand this kind of programming and don't believe any of it is real. And of course it all is staged for the television audience so what we see isn't the way it actually is. Yet many of the contestants have testified that it in fact what they were experiencing is real.

And I'll admit to enjoying the competition, choosing and pulling for my favorites, and preferring these to sitcoms and dramatic programs that just don't seem to be as good as they used to be.

And I wonder why? What is the fascination that pulls so many folks into watching this kind of program?

There has been a lot on the internet re the celebrity line up for "Dancing with the Stars" in the coming season--who has accepted; who turned them down; who wanted to be on the show but got turned down; etc.

It has been suggested, however, that we won't be seeing this on television this fall:

ObamaandPalin.jpg

Great photoshop work though. :)

The line up for Dancing with the Stars includes some interesting picks and at least one that really raises my eyebrows:

The 12 celebrities chosen:
Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino, from MTV’s Jersey Shore

David Hasselhoff, best known for his roles on Baywatch, Knight Rider, and America’s Got Talent

Rick Fox, retired pro basketball player from the Los Angeles Lakers.

Bristol Palin, daughter of ex-Alaska governor Sarah Palin.

Kurt Warner, retired NFL quarterback

Florence Henderson, best known for her role TV’s long-running comedy The Brady Bunch

Audrina Patridge, from MTV’s The Hills.
Michael Bolton, singer-songwriter

Brandy Norwood, singer-songwriter and star of the old UPN comedy Moesha

Margaret Cho, comedienne and current co-star of Lifetime’s Drop Dead Diva.

Kyle Massey, best known for starring in Disney Channel’s That’s So Raven

Jennifer Grey, actress best known for starring in Dirty Dancing.

QUESTION:
Isn't Jennifer Grey a professional trained dancer? How is that fair pitting her against those who aren't professional trained dancers? The contestants are all celebrities yes, but I thought they were supposed to be amateur dancers.

It was interesting too that Melanie Griffith has been wanting on that show for years and they keep turning her down. Why?

Two who were asked this year and turned down the show were Condoleeza Rice and Ann Coulter. :) (I bet Coulter would have increased their ratings threefold.)

Look at all those shows you listed.

It's amazing that the people of America live and die for these things. They talk about the people on them like they know them, and get upset if one of their "favorites" don't win.

Instead of actually going out and DOING SOMETHING, lazy Americans sit on their sofas and watch strangers do it instead, and call it entertainment.

I just don't get it!

REALITY COMPETITIONS - Love 'em or hate 'em, they're a really big deal these days
Every year...

they are not a big deal. they are popular for right now. they have very little value. they will be a flash in the pan.

you need to
get out more
often

Well indeed I might need to get out more often, but 'flash in the pan?" American Idol is now wrapping up auditions for Season 10. I think Survivor is also starting its 10th or 11th year and has 20 sucessful series under its belt. Dancing with the Stars and Hells Kitchen have been going for several years now and both pull massive market share.

Flash in the Pan? I don't see it. I see more and more trying to put together new shows in that genre.

Look at all those shows you listed.

It's amazing that the people of America live and die for these things. They talk about the people on them like they know them, and get upset if one of their "favorites" don't win.

Instead of actually going out and DOING SOMETHING, lazy Americans sit on their sofas and watch strangers do it instead, and call it entertainment.

I just don't get it!

I don't know if I get it either EZ, but I do know that I get really REALLY bored with the crop of sitcoms and drama programs they're putting out these days. Every now and then I enjoy an especially good episode of "House" or "CSI" or "The Mentalist", but mostly I find my mind wandering and go find something else to do. The gratuitous course language, violence, sex, and contrived plots just become tedious and empty after awhile.

Mr. Foxfyre and I watch very little television compared to most folks, and we are both heavily involved with family, friend, church, and volunteer activities.

But we and several of our family and friends get a kick out of the reality shows. It's something you can watch with a group and kibitz and comment and enjoy each other while watching. And it is easy to get caught up in the pure competition aspect of it too and I appreciate the talent or effort or shrewdness or skill or creativity or ability to beat the competition each week and continue on until there is one left standing.

I have always enjoyed friendly competition in sports, games, ability tests in music, spelling, writing, etc. etc. etc., so I guess I relate to the contestants in that way and understand that they really are competing and they really do want to win.

I would LOVE to be on the Amazing Race!!

That's one I haven't followed Sherry, but I just checked the synopsis and yes, it looks like a lot of fun. And something I would very much have enjoyed doing when I was a bit younger. So now I'll probably have to tune in an episode or too dang it. As if I didn't have enough capturing my attention as it is. Thanks a lot. :)

On another thread re reality shows somebody mentioned "Project Runway" and especially appreciating the skill and creativity that went into the fashions created in that competition. I had never watched, but I hunted up an episode. And I can certainly appreciate the allure for those who appreciate fashion and what goes into it.

Our daughter, a big time big deal professional in her field, has been a survivor fan since Episode one. So when she was here for a visit we watched a couple of episodes with her and got hooked. Now wouldn't miss it. It's kind of like an escape into a fantasy world for an hour a week. You wonder if you would be able to tough out the worst they have to endure. Would you be a help or hindrance to your tribe? Would you be good at the various competitive tests they have to win? Would you be voted out early or would you be a valued member they would want to keep around for awhile? Would you be able to out maneuver your comrades without making too many enemies and win? It's fun to speculate.

I hated them, until a few months ago. I take care of a guy who watches a few, so I have gotten into the Apprentice, Hells Kitchen, and Big Brother. I thought Brett Michaels was a punk before, but I ended up being for him on Apprentice. I couldn't stand Big Brother, but now I don't miss an episode.
And I love Gordon Ramsey.

I hated them, until a few months ago. I take care of a guy who watches a few, so I have gotten into the Apprentice, Hells Kitchen, and Big Brother. I thought Brett Michaels was a punk before, but I ended up being for him on Apprentice. I couldn't stand Big Brother, but now I don't miss an episode.

I haven't ever watched Big Brother either Luissa so dammit, now I guess I need to catch an episode. :)

I agree. I had operated for years under the illusion that Bret Michaels was a total jerk, bad boy punk, low talent also ran, etc. etc. etc. But on that season of The Apprentice I began to see him as somebody entirely different, somebody with a pure creative soul and ability to see and implement what sells, etc. The man is brilliant. And personable. And I found myself liking him. And by the end, I wanted him to win. Which he did. :)

Mr. Foxfyre can't stand Gordon Ramsey and won't watch Hell's Kitchen. But when you see how much the contestants on that show adore him, you have to rethink the 'tyrannical maniac' image he projects on the show and I really REALLY appreciate the skill and creative ability it requires to win that competition. I have a niece who went to culinary school and has worked for some great chefs and asked her how realistic Hell's Kitchen is. She says pretty damn realistic during a high stress period where the kitchen has to turn out some major products for some big deal affair. The head chef can get pretty excited.

Then you see Ramsey on Kitchen Nightmares and Master Chef and know that for him Hell's Kichen is more theatrics than the way he normally is. :)

I was excited when he won, and thought he was dirt before, mostly because of Rock of Love. Anytime he was in group they would usually win. I think he did the best job, and put in the most. He even showed up for the last episode, that showed a lot to me. He also seemed to care a lot about his charity. The Donald also really liked him, and any time they had a guest judge, he usually won them over too.
I do have to say the episode where they raised all that money and no one was sent home, was awesome. I am glad The Donald didn't send anyone home. How much did they raise? And It was in something like 24hrs.
I also want to marry the guy who is the cook, can't remember his name right now, but man he is hot.

I haven't ever watched Big Brother either Luissa so dammit, now I guess I need to catch an episode. :)

I agree. I had operated for years under the illusion that Bret Michaels was a total jerk, bad boy punk, low talent also ran, etc. etc. etc. But on that season of The Apprentice I began to see him as somebody entirely different, somebody with a pure creative soul and ability to see and implement what sells, etc. The man is brilliant. And personable. And I found myself liking him. And by the end, I wanted him to win. Which he did. :)

Mr. Foxfyre can't stand Gordon Ramsey and won't watch Hell's Kitchen. But when you see how much the contestants on that show adore him, you have to rethink the 'tyrannical maniac' image he projects on the show and I really REALLY appreciate the skill and creative ability it requires to win that competition. I have a niece who went to culinary school and has worked for some great chefs and asked her how realistic Hell's Kitchen is. She says pretty damn realistic during a high stress period where the kitchen has to turn out some major products for some big deal affair. The head chef can get pretty excited.

Then you see Ramsey on Kitchen Nightmares and Master Chef and know that for him Hell's Kichen is more theatrics than the way he normally is. :)
I love his crazy side. :lol: But you could tell he actually cared, or at least pretended to.
I was really happy when Holly won. :D

I was excited when he won, and thought he was dirt before, mostly because of Rock of Love. Anytime he was in group they would usually win. I think he did the best job, and put in the most. He even showed up for the last episode, that showed a lot to me. He also seemed to care a lot about his charity. The Donald also really liked him, and any time they had a guest judge, he usually won them over too.
I do have to say the episode where they raised all that money and no one was sent home, was awesome. I am glad The Donald didn't send anyone home. How much did they raise? And It was in something like 24hrs.
I also want to marry the guy who is the cook, can't remember his name right now, but man he is hot.

Curtis Stone....LOVE his accent.

P_CurtisStone+chef.jpg

You mean Curtis Stone?
curtis.jpg

I don't think he has his own show but is frequently a judge or guest or consultant or whatever on a lot of other shows and he is becoming well known. I think Apprentice really put him on the map. BUT, he has already been listed as one of the sexiest men alive in People magazine in 2006. (He shared the honors with George Clooney and Brad Pitt.)

And I'll admit to enjoying the competition, choosing and pulling for my favorites, and preferring these to sitcoms and dramatic programs that just don't seem to be as good as they used to be.

And I wonder why? What is the fascination that pulls so many folks into watching this kind of program?

I will confess that I don't watch sit coms or reality TV.:lol:

My viewing habits consist of History Channel and History I, National Geo, Ovation, Science, SciFi, channels that run old movies, and news. I can't stomach the star quality of competitions, or the stupidity of sit-coms.

Maybe the reality competition interest results from the lack of real competition and the pc invasion of our society, where everyone tends to be gray and conventional.

I will confess that I don't watch sit coms or reality TV.:lol:

My viewing habits consist of History Channel and History I, National Geo, Ovation, Science, SciFi, channels that run old movies, and news. I can't stomach the star quality of competitions, or the stupidity of sit-coms.

Maybe the reality competition interest results from the lack of real competition and the pc invasion of our society, where everyone tends to be gray and conventional.

Maybe. I don't know. We watch some of the educational stuff too--I have always had a passion for history. Mr. Foxfyre is an expert on WWII and that era. But even on those channels there is sometimes so much repetition or sameness to some of the programming, or it is presented in such a tedious academic manner than I get tired of that too. Sometimes I just want it to be here and now and involve live people.

We also much prefer old movies to almost any of the stuff Hollywood is churning out these days. (Ditto for music and fiction.) I enjoy almost any well developed and well execuited story line, but I have an especial affection for those movies in which the 'hero' beats the odds, overcomes all obstacles and difficulties, and wins in the end. The attorney wins his case in court. The dog team wins the race. The underdog triumphs. You're on your feet cheering somebody on to victory at the end.

So maybe that accounts for my enjoyment of sports and the reality shows. I am a competitive person by nature but only when it can be fun for all. All those reality shows are first and foremost a competition. And they are competitions that I could see myself having a ball doing, win or lose.

Love the cooking ones. MasterChef, Top Chef, Iron Chef, and Hells Kitchen. I've even watched Ramsay's F-Word, in the UK, on youtube. Now that is an incredibly well done show.

It's also interesting seeing how Master Chef varies around the world. I tend to like the New Zealand version best, since they actually take you inside of some of those master classes the cooks are taking. I didn't realize how comprehensive they were until I read Sheetal's blog (I'm rooting for that woman). Anyone but Dave and his bromance, Sharone.

Love the cooking ones. MasterChef, Top Chef, Iron Chef, and Hells Kitchen. I've even watched Ramsay's F-Word, in the UK, on youtube. Now that is an incredibly well done show.

It's also interesting seeing how Master Chef varies around the world. I tend to like the New Zealand version best, since they actually take you inside of some of those master classes the cooks are taking. I didn't realize how comprehensive they were until I read Sheetal's blog (I'm rooting for that woman). Anyone but Dave and his bromance, Sharone.

I've only watched Hell's Kitchen for the last several seasons and this summer have been following Master Chef. I have always loved to cook, always loved to prepare a 'wow' meal with superb presentation which unfortunately is rarely appreciated by my mostly redneck-ish family who love good food but don't care a flip about presentation or creative effort. So I always thought I would love being in that kind of competition where I could really experiment and do something outside of the more mundane meat and potatoes fare. I don't have the culinary education for Hell's Kitchen, but I could do Master Chef. :)

It has been interesting to me though that I think more guys like those shows than the gals do.

Forum List

Back