Reality Check...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
<center><h1><a href=http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0426/p02s02-usfp.htm>Reality intrudes on US vision for Mideast</a></h1></center>

<center><b>Arab hostility to Iraq war and Bush's support of Sharon raises doubts about broader democratic reforms in region.</b></center>

By Howard LaFranchi | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

<blockquote>WASHINGTON - National Security adviser Condoleezza Rice says that if there's one thing she sees President Bush become passionate about, it is reform in the Middle East. For the president, political and economic progress in a vast region of Arab and Muslim population he calls the "greater Middle East" is one of the keys to winning the war on terror.

But just weeks before the Bush administration plans to roll out its greater Middle East initiative at a series of international summits, the plan is in trouble.

Three factors - worse-than-expected violence in Iraq, the president's surprise alignment last week with Israeli leader Ariel Sharon on West Bank settlements and other sensitive issues, and the continuing deterioration of America's image among Arabs - have thrown the plan off and punctured enthusiasm for pursuing it.

For many experts and foreign diplomats involved in the Middle East - and even some US officials skeptical of what they see as the plan's we-know-what-you-need tone - it has become the incredible shrinking Mideast vision. "We've had so many setbacks from so many different directions to what were some fairly radical projects that the prudent response might be to file this initiative in the wastebasket or at least scale it back - and in fact we're seeing some signs of that," says Michael Hudson, an expert at Georgetown University here.

"The rhetoric is still there," adds a European diplomat in Washington, referring to continued administration talk of Middle East democratization. "But on the underlying levels where policy is made, the sentiment is a lot less enthusiastic than it was just some weeks back."</blockquote>

The welcoming throngs have vanished...America's credibility as an honest broker in the Middle East is in ashes...Moderate Arab leaders are turning their backs on US ME policy. Dubbyuh needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

A couple of weeks of hostility and you are ready to throw in the towel?? It's called perserverance, and Bush seems to have plenty of it. The Left and the UN, on the other hand, do not, as evidenced by the UN's leaving Iraq after a homicide bombing and Spain leaving Iraq after the horrid 3/11 attacks.
While I think there are some things Bush could be doing better in Iraq, for the most part I believe he has the vision to complete a very difficult undertaking - disposing of a dictator and establishing a working economy and government in just over a year.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
A couple of weeks of hostility and you are ready to throw in the towel?? It's called perserverance, and Bush seems to have plenty of it. The Left and the UN, on the other hand, do not, as evidenced by the UN's leaving Iraq after a homicide bombing and Spain leaving Iraq after the horrid 3/11 attacks.
While I think there are some things Bush could be doing better in Iraq, for the most part I believe he has the vision to complete a very difficult undertaking - disposing of a dictator and establishing a working economy and government in just over a year.

Perserverance...? No just plain, ignorant, unthinking, mindless, bullheadedness. And his vision is limited to the next set of poll numbers.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Perserverance...? No just plain, ignorant, unthinking, mindless, bullheadedness. And his vision is limited to the next set of poll numbers.

Naw, man! You're thinking about the guy on my avatar, not yours. My guy was the spineless, poll-driven reprobate. Your guy is courageously staying the course in the face of savage criticism. Understandable mistake.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit

Thats funny. If Bush cared about poll numbers he wouldnt have done half the stuff in his administration did.

Originally posted by musicman
Naw, man! You're thinking about the guy on my avatar, not yours. My guy was the spineless, poll-driven reprobate. Your guy is courageously staying the course in the face of savage criticism. Understandable mistake.

Naw...Goatboy is an amoral womanizing, piece of white trash. White-trash wouldn't even claim Dubbyuh.

Ah, I see that this bit of wisdom comes from "The Christian Science Monitor." Way to get a reputable news source, Bully. Maybe the next one will be from "Republicans are Evil Aliens Weekly" or "The 'Bush is Actually Belial' Post," or even, God help us all, "The New York Times."

I generally try not to attaack people's character but you have displayed your's so blatantly Bully that it bears pointing out.

By what you have said i can only suspect that you are a typical American in that you feel entitled to instant gratification. You want everything in the world to be perfect and you want it now.
That is simply not possible in Iraq. change takes time. Always has, always will and it usually gets worse before it gets better. It took 8 years for Germany to get back on its feet.

Forum List

Back