Reality check on economic policies

taichiliberal

Rookie
Aug 11, 2010
Something for all the voters in 2012 to consider:

The final nail in the supply side coffin

Broken recovery: Taxes are low and corporate profits are high, but nothing is trickling down to the American worker

In the first quarter of 2011, aggregate U.S. GDP -- the total value of all the goods and services produced in the United States -- was higher than the peak reached before the recession began in 2007. During the six quarters since the recession technically ended in the second quarter of 2009, real national income in the U.S. increased by $528 billion. But the vast majority of that income was captured as profit by corporations that failed to pass on their happy fortunes to their workers.

The final nail in the supply side coffin - How the World Works - Salon.com

Last edited:
There are the Democrats economic policies.

Republicans have one. Cut taxes. We cut taxes early in the Bush Administration. We extended those tax cuts when Obama was blackmailed into going along with it. Nearly half the stimulus package was tax cuts. We are paying the lowest taxes in decades. The 12 largest companies in the US didn't pay any taxes. In fact, Republicans made sure they got billions for nothing, just like the oil subsidies. After all that, it's obvious their ONE economic policy doesn't work. Their answer? "Give it time". 13 years hasn't been enough time.

Wages are moribund, unemployment is stuck at 9 percent, and the corporate bottom line is doing just fine. You could be excused for thinking that if ever there was time to put the stake through supply-side economics, it would be now. Wall Street and big corporations are doing just fine, but absolutely nothing is trickling down. And yet Republicans are still pushing the same old song and dance, passionately holding the entire creditworthiness of the United States hostage in return for even lower taxes on corporations, adamantly refusing to countenance even the slightest revenue increase to help cushion the hard times for the Americans who are getting a raw deal out of the current recovery.

Indeed and well-said.

Of course the fact that ‘trickle-down/supply-side’ – whatever – is a failure won’t have an impact on rightist dogma.

And yet Republicans are still pushing the same old song and dance, passionately holding the entire creditworthiness of the United States hostage in return for even lower taxes on corporations,

Am I the only who sees this statement as, uhm, disingenuous.

• Banned
hold that thought ...

9.2%,:eusa_think:

Why don't you try and THINK for a change? The vaunted private sector won't create jobs in the US because they want to hold onto their tax breaks, the rich want to hold onto their tax cuts...both enjoy the profits of outsourcing, down sizing and deregulation while getting financial support from yours and mines tax dollars to do so. And all the while their bought and paid for representatives in the Party of NO (alias the Republican Party) in the Congress and Senate are willing to tank the country to have their way.

Hold THAT thought, chuckles...if you're man enough to.

• Banned
Wages are moribund, unemployment is stuck at 9 percent, and the corporate bottom line is doing just fine. You could be excused for thinking that if ever there was time to put the stake through supply-side economics, it would be now. Wall Street and big corporations are doing just fine, but absolutely nothing is trickling down. And yet Republicans are still pushing the same old song and dance, passionately holding the entire creditworthiness of the United States hostage in return for even lower taxes on corporations, adamantly refusing to countenance even the slightest revenue increase to help cushion the hard times for the Americans who are getting a raw deal out of the current recovery.

Indeed and well-said.

Of course the fact that ‘trickle-down/supply-side’ – whatever – is a failure won’t have an impact on rightist dogma.

Because the little dummies that vote against their interest will just lie to themselves and gladly accept another round of "stimulus checks" should their GOP gods take control again...and blame their unemployment on Obama and Clinton while swearing Reagan and the Bush family were the golden years! :cuckoo:

hold that thought ...

Why don't you try and THINK for a change? The vaunted private sector won't create jobs in the US because they want to hold onto their tax breaks, the rich want to hold onto their tax cuts...both enjoy the profits of outsourcing, down sizing and deregulation while getting financial support from yours and mines tax dollars to do so. And all the while their bought and paid for representatives in the Party of NO (alias the Republican Party) in the Congress and Senate are willing to tank the country to have their way.

Well, first, the private sector has been creating jobs.

But why wouldn't they create jobs to hold onto their tax breaks? That makes no sense.

• Banned
And yet Republicans are still pushing the same old song and dance, passionately holding the entire creditworthiness of the United States hostage in return for even lower taxes on corporations,

No, there's a whole lot of people just as willfully ignorant and insipidly stubborn as you Trajan...they call themselves new conservatives, tea party members, oathers, birthers, threepers, etc. You know...morons! :razz:

No, there's a whole lot of people just as willfully ignorant and insipidly stubborn as you Trajan...they call themselves new conservatives, tea party members, oathers, birthers, threepers, etc. You know...morons! :razz:

Trajan is one of the best posters here.

No, the BS quotient in this thread is just too high to bother responding to. I don't mind discussing diferent views with people who have some idea of the truth and how economics work, but these guys aren't even close.

hold that thought ...

But why wouldn't they create jobs to hold onto their tax breaks? That makes no sense.

Really? Where? And how many from 2000 to 2008? And the tax breaks were to give them the means to CREATE jobs, NOT as a permanent situation...which is why the tax cuts were initially signed on with a sunset clause...because eventually it would be detrimental to trying to balance the economy.

No, the BS quotient in this thread is just too high to bother responding to. I don't mind discussing diferent views with people who have some idea of the truth and how economics work, but these guys aren't even close.

Translation: Wiseacre isn't wise enough to logically or factually fault the information presented in the link I provided, nor can he logically or factually defend the neocon mantras of imbeciles like Trajan....so Wiseacre just bluffs and blusters.

No. I simply don't have time to deal with nonsense like this today.

Translation: This mentally Shackled libertarian clown isn't wise enough to logically or factually fault the information presented in the link I provided, nor can he logically or factually defend the neocon mantras of imbeciles like Trajan....so the shackled one just bluffs and blusters.

Really? Where? And how many from 2000 to 2008? And the tax breaks were to give them the means to CREATE jobs, NOT as a permanent situation...which is why the tax cuts were initially signed on with a sunset clause...because eventually it would be detrimental to trying to balance the economy.

Oh, I see. You think that the private sector is deliberately not creating jobs to blackmail the politicians into making the tax cuts permanent. Correct?

If so, that's pretty silly.

you could address what I said...has it occurred to you that the tax rate for corps world wide ala the top 20 are all significantly lower than ours?

how about those free trade agreements? talk about losing market share, which = jobs here for exports?

drop the rate drop the deductions and loopholes. pass the free trade agreements AND; get the dept of energy to approve the Keystone XL pipeline. that alone ala the pipeline would create 30K jobs in less than 3-4 months right off the bat.

Co's spend when they see a reasons too, ala customers and long term outlook, ala 5 years. they don't know what to expect next right now.

Last edited:
No. I simply don't have time to deal with nonsense like this today.

Translation: This mentally Shackled libertarian clown isn't wise enough to logically or factually fault the information presented in the link I provided, nor can he logically or factually defend the neocon mantras of imbeciles like Trajan....so the shackled one just bluffs and blusters.
No, honestly, I really just don't feel like it. And why would I defend neoconservatism if I am a libertarian? That doesn't even make sense. I am simply agreeing that saying Republicans are holding the nation hostage to get lower corporate tax rates is more or less demagoguery and dramatic rhetoric. What is holding this nation hostage is the size and expansion of government. And neither major party is close to doing anything meaningful about it. It appears you are a victim of the whole process, under the illusion that the parties are really that much different. The underlying philosophy in the mainstream of both is still big government, judging by actions.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back