Real thing: anyone actually MET a politician, of any fame or power level?

I met Reagan the first time he ran for office.

I wasn't impressed. I still thought of him as a B rated actor.

I did have a change of heart the next time he ran. I really listened to what he had to say. I voted for him twice. Best votes I ever cast.

I met Jeb Bush when he was campaigning for governor of Florida. I couldn't believe it when I first laid eyes on him. He was standing in a social hall at a church in Orlando. He was surrounded by people and was so easy to immediately spot because he stood about a foot taller than everyone else! He very patiently met others one by one and gave a bit of personal attention to each. When I shook hands with him, his two hands engulfed mine and I think I only came up to his navel (small exaggeration:eusa_liar:, but it felt like he was a giant). Jeb Bush is very personable, extremely humble and seemed alot different from what I would have expected ... nothing like George W. or their dad (except he got the tall genes).:cool:

Both the Clintons (at Camp David)... Norman Schwarzkopf (though not really any sort of politician, but the favorite officer I ever met)... Barbara Mikulski... Roscoe Bartlett... and quite a few at the local level

Setup a dinner and town meeting for Senator Wayne Morse in Eastern Oregon. Talked to him for about 5 minutes one on one concerning his views of Vietnam. He impressed me as a thoughtful and very intelligent man.

and what views on Vietnam did he share? Did he exhibit any re-Morse? :lol:

Yeah, you got that right...good looks and good speeches, we are suckers for them.

I'm also wondering if it counts if I didn't actually meet Bob Dole but I was asked to chauffeur him around for the day. An attorney I worked for back in the 80s offered me the opportunity. Unfortunately, was also getting my PhT (that's not a typo) at the time and couldn't afford to take the day off. Geez, my ex husband was a slave driver, I'm not bitter or anything :eusa_shhh: I did get to work on a campaign for a local mayor who won :lol: Was one of those people you honk at who stood on a corner with a sign at 7 am and who comes knocking on your door the week before the election! :cuckoo: back when i was young and foolish:tongue:

President George W. Bush, Laura Bush, Jeb Bush, Karl Rove, Marco Rubio, Charlie Crist, Tom Rooney, Joe Wilson, Vern Buchanan, Connie Mack IV, Sen. Connie Mack, Mary Bono, Mark Foley, Katherine Harris, Mitt Romney, Fred Thompson, John McCain, Rudy Guliani, Rick Scott.

These are just the ones off the top of my head.

I happily have:

Sarah Palin. October 18, '08. She came to Lancaster, PA (right down the road from me) to shore up our ticket's support in Lanc. county and the region, which was/still is crimson red, but I digress.

After pwning some wacko lefty "protesters" outside the stadium, I listened to her speech, it was quite good, she made sense, was articulate, passionate, etc. She looks and sounds just the same in person, better if anything.

BEST PART:
When the speech was done, she began mingling with the burgeoning crowd. I fought my way up to her, snapped a pic of her on my old Razor phone, and THEN shook her hand. I then said "Sarah, you're amazing!" She replied "Thank you!"

It was too awesome.:cool: After the rally, hyped up as I was, I refrained from other rally goers in kicking parking signs and pylons (the Lanc. County Obama HQ was right across the street and their parking lot was right next to the stadium lol)

State Senator Mike O'Pake, June, '08. I was working as a Field Office Clerk for the PA Dept. of Revenue, and being my state sen. he popped in to check on us then state employees. The big LOL part was that he was being dogged by gay rumors for the longest, and he comes right up and starts talking to me.:lol:

I tried as hard as I could to keep a straight face as he asked bout my pops, etc.

Those are mine. Yall?

Puny! Very puny!
~~~

I met Nixon as a kid. He was taking a Jeep painted with the Stars and Stripes, through small towns. He gave me the creeps

I got to Meet Arlen Spector while waiting for a bus in Allentown. After talking to him for about 15 I walked away a little disapointed that I was repped by a dem. Imagine my surprise to find out he was a rep.

I don't know if it's sad or just coincedence, but that entire time I was the only one that was talking with him. It was like the locals that had lived there, much longer than me, didn't want anything to do with him or didn't know who he was.

Thank GAWD for Toomey.

I happily have:

Sarah Palin. October 18, '08. She came to Lancaster, PA (right down the road from me) to shore up our ticket's support in Lanc. county and the region, which was/still is crimson red, but I digress.

After pwning some wacko lefty "protesters" outside the stadium, I listened to her speech, it was quite good, she made sense, was articulate, passionate, etc. She looks and sounds just the same in person, better if anything.

BEST PART:
When the speech was done, she began mingling with the burgeoning crowd. I fought my way up to her, snapped a pic of her on my old Razor phone, and THEN shook her hand. I then said "Sarah, you're amazing!" She replied "Thank you!"

It was too awesome.:cool: After the rally, hyped up as I was, I refrained from other rally goers in kicking parking signs and pylons (the Lanc. County Obama HQ was right across the street and their parking lot was right next to the stadium lol)

State Senator Mike O'Pake, June, '08. I was working as a Field Office Clerk for the PA Dept. of Revenue, and being my state sen. he popped in to check on us then state employees. The big LOL part was that he was being dogged by gay rumors for the longest, and he comes right up and starts talking to me.:lol:

I tried as hard as I could to keep a straight face as he asked bout my pops, etc.

Those are mine. Yall?

Puny! Very puny!
~~~

I met Nixon as a kid. He was taking a Jeep painted with the Stars and Stripes, through small towns. He gave me the creeps

I got to Meet Arlen Spector while waiting for a bus in Allentown. After talking to him for about 15 I walked away a little disapointed that I was repped by a dem. Imagine my surprise to find out he was a rep.

I don't know if it's sad or just coincedence, but that entire time I was the only one that was talking with him. It was like the locals that had lived there, much longer than me, didn't want anything to do with him or didn't know who he was.

Thank GAWD for Toomey.

Darlin' Arlen ain't exactly personality plus.

Smart as a whip, or was 10-15 years ago anyway, but stubborn, hotheaded and the epitome of the word "curmudgeon".

Shannon OTOH used to be a great guy, but I haven't seen him in probably 15 years and don't like what I've heard in recent years. Sounds like he's morphed more and more into his old man. Pity.

Toomey? Jury's still out, but I remember him from his days as the foaming at the mouth culture warrior before his current "fiscal con" incarnation. Might even be genuine. Then again, pigs might fly. ;)

I happily have:

BEST PART:

Those are mine. Yall?

Puny! Very puny!
~~~

Thank GAWD for Toomey.

Smart as a whip, or was 10-15 years ago anyway, but stubborn, hotheaded and the epitome of the word "curmudgeon".

Shannon OTOH used to be a great guy, but I haven't seen him in probably 15 years and don't like what I've heard in recent years. Sounds like he's morphed more and more into his old man. Pity.

Toomey? Jury's still out, but I remember him from his days as the foaming at the mouth culture warrior before his current "fiscal con" incarnation. Might even be genuine. Then again, pigs might fly. ;)

How many of us live in PA?

Me, you, Righteous, Newby? and someone else :eusa_think: And not just in PA but on the east side.

meh

Toomey was the better choice. PA is what, $3 billion in the hole, thanks to these jackwagons.

oh, hold on. let me get of my soap box before I get started :eusa_silenced:

Puny! Very puny!
~~~

Thank GAWD for Toomey.

How many of us live in PA?

Me, you, Righteous, Newby? and someone else :eusa_think: And not just in PA but on the east side.

meh

Toomey was the better choice. PA is what, $3 billion in the hole, thanks to these jackwagons.

oh, hold on. let me get of my soap box before I get started :eusa_silenced:

Damn! How could I forget Pat!? I worked his '04 primary campaign against said sellout/traitor/fossil Specter (who does seem that lame in person)

He was polite, humble, charismatic, etc. I also met Barbara Bush, even tho she don't really count.

I saw Obama in person when he came to his Reading campaign HQ in April '08, but aint get to shake his hand or say anything.

And yea crazy huh, most of us on the east side, even the southeast side like me. Reading's a dump tho thanks to lefty policies, so Philly's my 2nd home.

Portland has an at large system for city commissioners. Two of them lived within a block of me.

One was a notorious wife beater (she divorced him after he lost re election for mayor) and the other (also mayor for short while) was a notorious alcoholic. The alcoholic was very nice and did a great job as mayor till voted out. And replaced by the wife beater.

We elect them, we deserve them

Forum List

Back