Real Love

Vel

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
Tennessee
How would you describe the true love that one human can have for another to someone? I'm not talking the romantic, heart pounding , sweaty palm type love. I mean the type of love that bonds a family.

A quote from a book I read, "The Gargoyle", I believe:

Any man who believes he can describe love understands nothing about it.

But I know what you mean - it's the love that carries you through, that stays strong, even when you don't agree with them, you see their failings or imperfections - you still love them. You'd still stand by them through hell and back.

A tolerance... Sort of like when I pull the old Dutch oven prank on the wife. Instead of killing me, she just rolls over and says something like "Best check your coffee for arsenic in the morning..." That natural combination like "carrots and peas".

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
How would you describe the true love that one human can have for another to someone? I'm not talking the romantic, heart pounding , sweaty palm type love. I mean the type of love that bonds a family.

A mother's unconditional love, is real love for another.

When you know the worst there is about someone, all of the darkness and still love them. When you see beyond what you can see on the outside and know them for who they are. When you would triad you life for theirs.

The feelings associated with infatuation are more common among adolescents and younger adults. There are plenty of young women who are so taken by their feelings, and their hormones, that they give themselves away prematurely. They then wonder, and seek to answer the question; If he had sex with me does that mean he loves me? The answer to that question is no, having sex with you does not mean that he loves you. It means that he lusts you, and you lusted him, you had sexual feelings, not love feelings. Unfortunately, our society and it’s cultural teachings associate sex to love, when in reality, sex outside of the context of marriage is generally lust driven. It’s generally a self absorbing physical desire to selfishly meet ones own physical mania. Sex alone does not meet loves criteria, because love is not self seeking. Love feelings follow love actions, sexual feelings often follow reactions to lust driven desires. We are all human, and we all experience the desires of our flesh, however true love feelings are associated with a deep relational bonding, not just physical intimacy.

The feelings associated with infatuation are more common among adolescents and younger adults. There are plenty of young women who are so taken by their feelings, and their hormones, that they give themselves away prematurely. They then wonder, and seek to answer the question; If he had sex with me does that mean he loves me? The answer to that question is no, having sex with you does not mean that he loves you. It means that he lusts you, and you lusted him, you had sexual feelings, not love feelings. Unfortunately, our society and it’s cultural teachings associate sex to love, when in reality, sex outside of the context of marriage is generally lust driven. It’s generally a self absorbing physical desire to selfishly meet ones own physical mania. Sex alone does not meet loves criteria, because love is not self seeking. Love feelings follow love actions, sexual feelings often follow reactions to lust driven desires. We are all human, and we all experience the desires of our flesh, however true love feelings are associated with a deep relational bonding, not just physical intimacy.

Copy and pasting without providing a link is against the board's rules.

True Love Feelings, Emotional Feelings Of Love FlowingLove.com Engraving Your Love Promise

You're welcome.

Infantile love follows the principle: "I love because I am loved."
Mature love follows the principle: "I am loved because I love."
Immature love says: "I love you because I need you."
Mature love says: "I need you because I love you." Erich Fromm

Love changes with time and with age. Today our granddaughter's smiles or grandson's loud grandpa's here, hits in a place that is both biological and family and really incomparable to all the trivial nonsense that occupies so much of our lives. A complex subject and one I puzzled over young, as youth knows little, even though it thinks it knows all. I read Fromm young but today few things mean the same. Edge is always a good place for thought.

"In faith, I do not love thee with mine eyes, For they in thee a thousand errors note; But 'tis my heart that loves what they despise." Shakespeare

Edge: FALLING IN LOVE By Marvin Minsky

"I look at relationships. What's different about what I do, compared with most psychologists, is that for me the relationship is the unit, rather than the person. What I focus on is a very ephemeral thing, which is what happens between people when they interact. It's not either person, it's something that happens when they're together. It is like a structure that they're building by the way they interact. And I think of it that way, almost like a fleeting architectural fluid form that people are creating as they talk to each other, as they smile, as they move." John Gottman Edge: THE MATHEMATICS OF LOVE: A Talk with John Gottman

"JILL I'm upset you are upset
JACK I'm not upset
JILL I'm upset that you're not upset that I'm
upset you're upset
JACK I'm upset that you're upset that I'm not
upset that you're upset that I'm upset,
when I'm not." RD Laing

Last edited:

Forum List

Back