Real cowboy hats

A little past the timeline but:

Susan Anderson, MD

anderson.jpg

1870-1960

Susan Anderson, M.D. was born in 1870 and moved to Cripple Creek, Colorado, with her family in 1891 during the gold rush. She graduated from the University of Michigan in 1897. In one of her first cases as a physician, Anderson rejected a surgeon's recommendation to amputate and saved the arm of a boy who had accidentally exploded dynamite in a mine.

After encountering difficulties building a practice in Denver, Greeley and Eaton, Anderson found her services appreciated in Fraser, where she treated lumberjacks, ranchers, railroad workers and even animals. Townsfolk referred to her as "Doc Susie." Although most of her practice involved house calls, she never owned a horse or car. When her services were needed, and the patient was distant, relatives or friends of the patient would provide her with transportation. She often accompanied patients to Colorado General Hospital in Denver to admit them for treatment. Usually paid in firewood or food, she was poor most of her life.

More

Colorado Women's Hall of Fame - Dr. Susan Anderson
No hat. :lol:

One presumes that if a REAL cowboy is a wearing a hat?

It must logically BE a real cowboy hat.

@Ringel05

lol, i didnt know about this youtube until yesterday! this is the place i was talking about...it shows the thing i was talking about that goes on your head for fitting!!! Who knew it dated past the civil war! And yes, a new hat is on order.

and...lol they have a fish tank like a hat.

Tanked: Reveal: D Bar J Hats : Video : Animal Planet

Last edited by a moderator:
The Plainsman

08.hat.jpg

The Boss of the Plains

02.hat.jpg

The Vaquero

100_0003.jpg

The Sombrero

$T2eC16JHJIIE9qTYI5T8BQlFzKedcw~~60_35.JPG
Mind if I bump your old thread rather than start a new one? It's crazy you NEVER see anyone in Michigan wearing a Cowboy hat. I was thinking about getting one. I drive a truck so I'd probably look cool wearing a cowboy hat. But I don't want the old style big one.

images

images

Maybe a Fedora is better
600b19553e15614862583bd2_SCALA_BRISTOL_DF109.jpg

William S. Hart was a major western silent film star and producer noted for his insistence on historical accuracy in costumes and sets. He actually grew up in the post-Civil West. Just about anything worn in one of his movies would be historically accurate.

William S. Hart was a major western silent film star and producer noted for his insistence on historical accuracy in costumes and sets. He actually grew up in the post-Civil West. Just about anything worn in one of his movies would be historically accurate.

I didn't know Cowboys wore makeup.

1685710081122.png

I buy hans made Panama hats when IN Panama. Tight weave with holes, Light color to help tropical sun . Not much brim OK in rain. $100 or so. Lasts a year or two unless you paint or work on cars. Great for beach , hikes, go out to dinner without combing hair. Mostly all own
MS-4719_1_tn1100.jpg

I buy hans made Panama hats when IN Panama. Tight weave with holes, Light color to help tropical sun . Not much brim OK in rain. $100 or so. Lasts a year or two unless you paint or work on cars. Great for beach , hikes, go out to dinner without combing hair. Mostly all own
MS-4719_1_tn1100.jpg
Tourists in Panama who wear these hats wake up in a bathtub full of ice water missing a kidney.

New Topics

Forum List

Back