Real bad day at TESLA! Oooops!

Why is the electric car so troublesome for Right Wingers? The concept, the use, the entire notion of non fossil fueled transportation seems to worry them something awful. If a low cost, long range, affordable mass produced electric car was introduced to the market, why would Right Wingers still look askance at it?

Surely Right Wingers support free markets. Surely Right Wingers would embrace a reduction in air pollution. Surely Right Wingers are not afraid of other emerging technologies. Why does the electric car make them so skeptical, goofy and angry?

Because battery cars are not the future hydrogen fuel cell cars are

I hope that improvements in hydrogen fuel cells can, one day, provide a unit about the size of a water heater that would provide electricity to a house. I hope that hydrogen fuel cell could power all our transportation. But I don't root against a battery powered car. I hope both technologies can compete in the market place.

Beta vs. VHS. Plasma vs. LED. 8 Track vs. cassette. All technologies develop and the market decides.

Why is the electric car so troublesome for Right Wingers? The concept, the use, the entire notion of non fossil fueled transportation seems to worry them something awful. If a low cost, long range, affordable mass produced electric car was introduced to the market, why would Right Wingers still look askance at it?

Surely Right Wingers support free markets. Surely Right Wingers would embrace a reduction in air pollution. Surely Right Wingers are not afraid of other emerging technologies. Why does the electric car make them so skeptical, goofy and angry?

I hope that improvements in hydrogen fuel cells can, one day, provide a unit about the size of a water heater that would provide electricity to a house. I hope that hydrogen fuel cell could power all our transportation. But I don't root against a battery powered car. I hope both technologies can compete in the market place.

Beta vs. VHS. Plasma vs. LED. 8 Track vs. cassette. All technologies develop and the market decides.

That was the other problem Obama picked batteries over fuel cell development..

I posted a thread here on it a few years ago .

Norelco vs Gillette

Technology only sometimes determines the market. The electric razor has been around forever and still nobody uses it. Because it sucks. It's all Gillette all the time. Lots of factors.

When you can can get a battery charge on an electric car that goes 500 miles. People will take interest. Not until then....and only if the cost is equivalent of course.

Last edited:
That was the other problem Obama picked batteries over fuel cell development..

EV -- Use electricity directly.
Fuel cell -- Turn electricity into hydrogen, somehow get the hydrogen to the car, then turn the hydrogen back into electricity.

That's basically why batteries won the contest running away. Fuel cells are much more inconvenient, the fuel cell cars cost much more, and the hydrogen fuel costs much more per mile. Fuel cell cars have a longer range, but batteries have passed 50% of that and are still climbing, while fuel cells are stuck. There's really no way to compress hydrogen even more.

The answer is in their name..."Conservative".
It means that they're resistant to change.

Also, in their minds change means "Progressive" so their Pavlovian response is to hate it.
It's really as simple as that.

Also, in their minds change means "Progressive" so their Pavlovian response is to hate it.

Ahhhhhh but WINNING s0n! Too much change freaks folks. Simple as that!

Hydrogen explodes. And where are you planning on getting it?
Bad idea.

Bad idea.
You drive around with 20 gallons of gasoline strapped behind you rear bumper. Hydrogen is the most plentiful element on earth.

Bad idea.
You drive around with 20 gallons of gasoline strapped behind you rear bumper. Hydrogen is the most plentiful element on earth.

You drive around with 20 gallons of gasoline strapped behind you rear bumper.

Yup. But hydrogen is much more explosive than gasoline.

Hydrogen is the most plentiful element on earth.

But where are you going to get molecular hydrogen?

Only to a simpleton. I am a conservative, and I have many friends who are also conservative. None of us are afraid of change in technology, politics, or any other subject. We do resist change that has no logical benefit to the country we love. If electric cars are the vehicles of the future, then so be it. Just quit trying to force it on us, and we can both be happy.

Bad idea.

So do gasoline cars, where am I going to get it?? I already posted a thread on it here.

Australian hydrogen car breakthrough could go global

Last edited:
Fuel cell -- Turn electricity into hydrogen, somehow get the hydrogen to the car, then turn the hydrogen back into electricity.

Actually, Israeli companies have had success on a small scale working with algae that emit hydrogen when exposed to sunlight instead of oxygen,

Bad idea.

So do gasoline cars, where am I going to get it?? I already posted a thread on it here.

Btw I always read elecoteck.com along with pop sci

where am I going to get it?? I already posted a thread on it here.

We should get hydrogen from ammonia?
Okay, where are you going to get the ammonia?

Actually....we dont care much because we see that nobody is caring about the electric car. Those on the right or left. Nobody is buying them. In fact Ford sold more Focus's last year than all electric vehicles combined. I mean how laughable is that?:2up:
I'm asking why is the very idea of an electric car so troublesome.

No technology emerges wholly formed like a potted geranium. Technology develops over time. Should a viable electric car be developed, why would it pose a problem?
Let's convert the postal service to electric, to help our environment.

Actually....we dont care much because we see that nobody is caring about the electric car. Those on the right or left. Nobody is buying them. In fact Ford sold more Focus's last year than all electric vehicles combined. I mean how laughable is that?:2up:
I'm asking why is the very idea of an electric car so troublesome.

No technology emerges wholly formed like a potted geranium. Technology develops over time. Should a viable electric car be developed, why would it pose a problem?
Let's convert the postal service to electric, to help our environment.

How would that help the environment?

Bad idea.

Ammonia is used to make fertilisers (as a source of nitrogen for plants), explosives, dyes, household cleaners and nylon. It is also the most important raw material in the manufacture of nitric acid. Ammonia is manufactured by combining nitrogen and hydrogen in an important industrial process called the Haber process.
BBC - GCSE Bitesize Science - Making ammonia : RevisionBBC › schools › gcsebitesize › science › tri

Bad idea.

Soooo typical how he replies to your questions, where do you get the ammonia?...answ.: from hydrogen question where do you get the hydrogen? answ.: from ammonia in oversized & bold font.
Having no idea what it really takes to get the hydrogen to make ammonia and then dissociate the hydrogen from NH3 he glosses over the engineering & logistic problems for each of these steps as if they don`t exist.

Bad idea.

Ammonia is used to make fertilisers (as a source of nitrogen for plants), explosives, dyes, household cleaners and nylon. It is also the most important raw material in the manufacture of nitric acid. Ammonia is manufactured by combining nitrogen and hydrogen in an important industrial process called the Haber process.
BBC - GCSE Bitesize Science - Making ammonia : RevisionBBC › schools › gcsebitesize › science › tri

So we should use natural gas to make ammonia, use ammonia to make hydrogen to use in fuel cells?

Or, we could skip 2 steps that waste energy and just use the natural gas to power the cars.

Forum List

Back