Real Americans

I really do like America, but I nearly always regard our actions with cautious pessimism. To some that makes me un-American, but I really don't care because that isn't the case.

"I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." - James Baldwin.

I really do like America, but I nearly always regard our actions with cautious pessimism. To some that makes me un-American, but I really don't care because that isn't the case.

"I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." - James Baldwin.

We sure do like to debate a lot of words lately and it always comes down to a fine line. Dissent is not unamerican. It is in fact protected by the Constitution.

Where you reach a grey area is if that dissent aids and abets an enemy.

Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as: "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]." In many nations, it is also often considered treason to attempt or conspire to overthrow the government, even if no foreign country is aided or involved by such an endeavour.

Treason - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Synonyms:
1. Treason, sedition mean disloyalty or treachery to one's country or its government. Treason is any attempt to overthrow the government or impair the well-being of a state to which one owes allegiance; the crime of giving aid or comfort to the enemies of one's government. Sedition is any act, writing, speech, etc., directed unlawfully against state authority, the government, or constitution, or calculated to bring it into contempt or to incite others to hostility, ill will or disaffection; it does not amount to treason and therefore is not a capital offense.

Treason Definition | Definition of Treason at Dictionary.com

"Treason" and "traitor" are words people like to sling around as well. The definition is SPECIFIC. Note in the second definition, the use of the term "unlawful" in defining sedition.

What is not specific and appears to be quite subjective is what can be defined as "giving aid or comfort to the enemies of one's government.

But to sit here on a message board and criticize the government or specific politicians and/or their policies? I think not.

A "real American" KNOWS he has a right to dissent just as a "real American" repsects that person's right to dissent, even if he/she disagrees with the reason for dissent.

Forum List

Back