Reagan's First 2 Years - 2.5 Million Jobs Lost

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
fredgraph.png

I guess if we are going to conclude that Obama is just awful because of all the job losses on his watch thus far, I guess we can also conclude that Reagan sucked far, far worse!

St. Louis Fed: FRED Graph[1][id]=PAYEMS

fredgraph.png

I guess if we are going to conclude that Obama is just awful because of all the job losses on his watch thus far, I guess we can also conclude that Reagan sucked far, far worse!

St. Louis Fed: FRED Graph[1][id]=PAYEMS

How many jobs has Obama lost in 9 months? Employment Situation Summary

Obama has lost 2.5 million jobs.

Total nonfarm ...................| -824,000 | -0.6
Total private ..................| -855,000 | -.8
Mining and logging............| -23,000 | -3.2
Construction .................| -152,000 | -2.5
Manufacturing ................| -67,000 | -.6
Trade, transportation, and | |
utilities...................| -282,000 | -1.1
Information ..................| -36,000 | -1.3
Financial activities .........| -9,000 | -.1
Professional and business | |
services ...................| -111,000 | -.7
Education and health services.| -57,000 | -.3
Leisure and hospitality.......| -76,000 | -.6
Other services ...............| -42,000 | -.8
Government .....................| 31,000

EDIT: Ok Ok I was a tiny bit off, Obama has lost 2,503,000 jobs since taking office. I hope he turns it around like reagan did.

Last edited:
What's truly interesting is the way the media has reported the problems now as compared to how they reported them back then.

It took a little more than a year after passing the ERTA and the boom only ended recently with the election of the Marxist with his own Politburo

It took a little more than a year after passing the ERTA and the boom only ended recently with the election of the Marxist with his own Politburo

having a political opinion is one thing.

lying compulsively is another.....

you need to get a life.

What is the engine that will drive the ObamaEconomy?

You need to get a clue

Care to post the facts which support your statement, Jill?

Of course not. I suggest you need to get a life, yourself.

In the late 90s, the Republicans began the "Reagan legacy Project", which basicly rewrote history. They hadn't had a "hero" for years, so the just invented one.

I remember when Reagan was president. He was considered about as smart as George Bush. He used to say things like, "Trees cause air pollution". and fall asleep in front of the Pope or at international meetings. He wasn't even popular among Republicans.

All that changed with the "Ronald Reagan Legacy Project". Now, so much of that crap has been repeated, people actually believe it as truth.

This has been an enormous success for the Republicans. Give it another 10 years and you will see, the "George W. Bush Legacy Project". I can't wait to see what they come up with. Wonder if I will still be alive?

Reagan on Currency:

USATODAY.com - Reagan backers want hero on U.S. currency

JEFF SHESOL seems to sum it up pretty good.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/22/books/review/22SHESOLL.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

as numerous accounts have suggested -- he seemed to go a bit fuzzy, tuning out and even falling asleep in meetings. This is the Reagan whose pose at press conferences -- head cocked, eyes unfocused, lips pursed in puzzlement -- launched a thousand parodies. This is the Reagan whose inattention engendered budget chicanery, vicious staff squalls and Iran-contra.

Will Bunch Hits the Replay Button to Revisit the Real Reagan Legacy. Americans, It's Time to Give Up the Celluloid Version | BuzzFlash.org

In fact, there's little evidence that Reagan's tax cuts caused the economic recovery of the mid-1980s -- that was more the result of fiscal policies pursued by Jimmy Carter-appointed Fed chairman Paul Volcker, a steep drop in global oil prices and the normal bounce-back of the business cycle. What his tax cuts did accomplish was to initiate the period of a rising gap between the rich and poor in America, as well as the era of runaway CEO pay and unfettered greed on Wall Street.

I'm starting to think that I might have briefly dated Jill in the 70's and it ended badly.

In the late 90s, the Republicans began the "Reagan legacy Project", which basicly rewrote history. They hadn't had a "hero" for years, so the just invented one.

I remember when Reagan was president. He was considered about as smart as George Bush. He used to say things like, "Trees cause air pollution". and fall asleep in front of the Pope or at international meetings. He wasn't even popular among Republicans.

All that changed with the "Ronald Reagan Legacy Project". Now, so much of that crap has been repeated, people actually believe it as truth.

This has been an enormous success for the Republicans. Give it another 10 years and you will see, the "George W. Bush Legacy Project". I can't wait to see what they come up with. Wonder if I will still be alive?

Reagan on Currency:

as numerous accounts have suggested -- he seemed to go a bit fuzzy, tuning out and even falling asleep in meetings. This is the Reagan whose pose at press conferences -- head cocked, eyes unfocused, lips pursed in puzzlement -- launched a thousand parodies. This is the Reagan whose inattention engendered budget chicanery, vicious staff squalls and Iran-contra.

Will Bunch Hits the Replay Button to Revisit the Real Reagan Legacy. Americans, It's Time to Give Up the Celluloid Version | BuzzFlash.org

In fact, there's little evidence that Reagan's tax cuts caused the economic recovery of the mid-1980s -- that was more the result of fiscal policies pursued by Jimmy Carter-appointed Fed chairman Paul Volcker, a steep drop in global oil prices and the normal bounce-back of the business cycle. What his tax cuts did accomplish was to initiate the period of a rising gap between the rich and poor in America, as well as the era of runaway CEO pay and unfettered greed on Wall Street.

Yeah, this must be part of all that favorable treatment I keep hearing the media gave Reagan

If you dated Jill, it certainly ended well for her in that she escaped from you, CF.

Reagan on Currency:

Yeah, this must be part of all that favorable treatment I keep hearing the media gave Reagan

Ah yes, blame the media.

The last refuge of a person who has no argument.

Bush and Reagan both had millions of brain neurons on Obama.

And trees ARE the largest culprits of CO2 release into the atmosphere. It's only the fucking technodweebs who live in the cities drinking bottled water and living in air-conditioned bliss who don't get it.

I voted for Reagan, and his presidency was the shining light of all presidencies before and since. People prospered, in fact they prospered off the books. Worthless commie hippies from the 60s started raking in the bucks because of the huge upswing in entrepreneurship, and the opening up of industry. We rebuilt our military, decimated by Carter, from the ground up, and once again became a force to be reckoned with in the world.

Reagan's policies ended up creating 16 million jobs.
Gimme a call when Obama gets there.....

So you are saying a short time period is too early to make any judgments? I agree.
It is too early.

Still, I do not have much confidence in Obama's economic leadership. Obama made the mistake of claiming that the stimulus was working and we still lost jobs. He owns the economy now. Blaming Bush won't work in 2012, so he'd better hope that the economy improves or he's gonna be a failed one-termer like his buddy Jimmy Carter.

I don't understand why people think presidents cause jobs. And look at the Republicans. What are they qualified for? They are anti education. They want to teach "mysticism" in public schools. I'm just not getting it.

During the last administration, with all the tax cuts for the rich and businesses moving jobs overseas with Republican support why does anyone believe there will suddenly be all these new jobs? And from where?

Not feeling this argument. Obama believes in education, Bush and the Republicans do not.

Republicans are going to stay a party of extremes. An unscrupulous wealthy business class who uses a poor, uneducated underclass. They are right there now. It's no secret. They are proud and proud to be rich, whatever the means, and proud to be poor and ignorant and want to stay that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why people think presidents cause jobs. And look at the Republicans. What are they qualified for? They are anti education. They want to teach "mysticism" in public schools. I'm just not getting it.

During the last administration, with all the tax cuts for the rich and businesses moving jobs overseas with Republican support why does anyone believe there will suddenly be all these new jobs? And from where?

Not feeling this argument. Obama believes in education, Bush and the Republicans do not.

Republicans are going to stay a party of extremes. An unscrupulous wealthy business class who uses a poor, uneducated underclass. They are right there now. It's no secret. They are proud and proud to be rich, whatever the means, and proud to be poor and ignorant and want to stay that way.

The Reagan Boom faded with the election of the Pelosi Politburo and formally ended with the election of a Marxist President.

Forum List

Back