Reagan Was A Shitty President

I liked Carter but I'd agree, he was not an especially effective president. Whether Obama is or not remains to be seen..it's a bit early to make that call. As of today, both the left and the right seem hypercritical of him, and I think time will need to pass before we can evaluate his policies.

I expect (and I think Obama does as well) that he will be a one-term president, and that the next guy will be a conservative. I'm not necessarially evaluating Reagan (or Obama) on their popularity -- in fact, the opposite it true. I'm looking at what problems did they solve, how they affected the poor and middle class, and what costs were associated with their policies.

So far, in my view, Obama's big success has been the health care law. Mark my words, even if it is repealed, people are no longer as mystified as to the issues and will no longer be willing to accept the abuses of the insurance industry of past years. We may never get to nationalized health care in my lifetime, but we are far closer to universal coverage -- and in my view, that's a huge success.

Toro I respect your opinion and yeild to your superior knowledge on these matters but I would love some reading from you to proove to me the facts behind this matter.

I am unaware of any benifits to anything other than corporations in his deregulation march.

If anyone can convince me here it would be you and I am willing to read what ever you present.

The stuff that I have read I read a long time ago and is industry research. I don't know where it is on the Internet.

For example, the deregulation of the natural gas industry lead to a boom in natural gas drilling. Prior, gas was often just burned off at the tip because it was uneconomical to transport.

It also led to people spending a higher percentage of their income for natural gas.

Of course it has.

When there wasn't much of it, how could they?

Is this going to be the next strategy since running against W won't work again?

I am hopeful, by examining the bias and hero worship we all tend to engage in, that we will not choose another Reagan to succeed Obama. This country needs to stop pandering to the stupid and the hysterical. We need someone who is smart as well as inspiring to lead us...and when I see the folks on here suggesting Palin as a viable Republican candidate in 2012, my skin crawls.

I don't want my government to "bring back family values" or "remember this is a christian nation". I want to streamline the bloated federal payroll. To ensure the food supply is safe. To face the problem of clean air and rotting infrastructure and the fact that every crazy dictator on Planet Earth seems to be working on gaining nuclear weapons power.

If we choose again to spend our energies focusing on the bullshit, we are going to lose for good any chance we have to bring a decent public education system back to life. We will see bread lines and hobo camps again. I don't know who to suggest as a candidate -- but this distrust Republicans have developed for smart people who are capable of calm, reflective thought is so destructive, nothing worries me more.

Allie, in case it has escaped your notice, I'm a Republican. Many very smart people in this party have been fearful of appearing so because they do not want to alienate the voters. It's the "gee golly, I'm just a plain old country boy" routine...and it is not getting us where we need to go.

We cannot have the Democrats assume a public persona as the Party of Smart People Who Can Handle Complex Issues and become the Party of Knee Jerk Reactionaries. The GOP needs candidates like Palin (or Gingrich, or Angle) like it needs another Watergate controversy.

Though no man is perfect, my opinion is, Reagan was a great president.

No offense Madeline; but if your card says Republican, your words say RINO.

:lol: And if Reagan was around today, so would his.

I lived through Raygun, and he was considered a joke back then. I love revisionist history. Next thing you know, idiots will be spouting out that Drunk Joe McCarthy was an American Hero.

....stranger things have happened...

:lol: And if Reagan was around today, so would his.

Bullshit. You weren't even alive when he was president, dood, so don't go trying to educate me, okay?

I lived through Raygun, and he was considered a joke back then. I love revisionist history. Next thing you know, idiots will be spouting out that Drunk Joe McCarthy was an American Hero.

Considered a joke by whom?

And by no means do I think Reagan was a flipping hero.

The truth means nothing to the left. They're still trying to tell us how we feel about Bush, as well.

Considered a joke by whom?

And by no means do I think Reagan was a flipping hero.

Most people I know, and the press.....

Forum List

Back