Reagan Was A Shitty President

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
I am fed up with all this revisionist history in which Reagan was the best president since George Washington. It's all bullshit folks, and here's why:

* "Trickle down economics" -- the basis for the infamous Reagan tax cuts -- was utter bullshit and did not work. At all.

* He expanded the national debt in unprecedented amounts. Yes, so have others since, but his was a Great Leap Forward.

* He and his wife relied on astrologists to help them make decisions about the country. WTF Nancy was even involved, no one knows...but to use a horoscope is inexcusable.

And my personal favorite:

* By embracing the Moral Majority, Reagan opened an era of religious lunacy in American politics, especially in the Republican Party. We are still paying for this. Pols in America have to pander to the Very Stupid to get elected...and that is almost entirely Reagan's fault.

Knock it off with the Great Communicator horseshit.

Reagan ushered in the era of the Neocons.

the one thing that convinced me that Reagan was a teflon president was his wifes use of astrologers and ZERO backlash from the religious right.

He ruined manufacturing jobs. He sided with big corporations, while hurting the middle class.

The only trickle down under the Reagan rule was from increased government spending.
the same way Bush2 kept the economy artificially pumped up.

not sure we have had a decent president that hasn't fucked something up or done something stupid in 100 years.....

every president makes some mistakes.

Reagan didnt make many mistakes he did his shit on purpose.

They want this economy we have right now and worked hard to get us here.

Last edited:
I am fed up with all this revisionist history in which Reagan was the best president since George Washington. It's all bullshit folks, and here's why:

* "Trickle down economics" -- the basis for the infamous Reagan tax cuts -- was utter bullshit and did not work. At all.

* He expanded the national debt in unprecedented amounts. Yes, so have others since, but his was a Great Leap Forward.

* He and his wife relied on astrologists to help them make decisions about the country. WTF Nancy was even involved, no one knows...but to use a horoscope is inexcusable.

And my personal favorite:

* By embracing the Moral Majority, Reagan opened an era of religious lunacy in American politics, especially in the Republican Party. We are still paying for this. Pols in America have to pander to the Very Stupid to get elected...and that is almost entirely Reagan's fault.

Knock it off with the Great Communicator horseshit.

Well, that's all certainly your opinion, and as such, means and proves fuck-all. But thank you for sharing it with us totally unsolicited and unwanted. Believe it or not, your opinion does not equal objective reality.

My opinion is, Reagan was a shitty president. But the facts I gave to back up my opinion are not "made up". If you are a Reaganophile, let's hear why you worship this man.

In my view, he failed America and we have been paying for it for over thirty years.

lets see...reagan normalized relations with the big bad soviet union ....set the economic engine in motion which payed off in the dot com era.....and created the political environment for germany to be unified....

does make one wonder why obama admires the man though doesn't it....

1. President Reagan’s economic policies stimulated the economy, creating 17 million new jobs. One-fourth of the new jobs were created in 68 consecutive months. Black unemployment was cut in half.

2. We were given incentives to save our money, to work, and to invest because of Reagan’s tax reforms.

3. The inflation rate decreased to less than 4.4%. Family income rose 12%.

4. We are now experiencing the longest and strongest peacetime prosperity in the history of the nation.
Please refrain from posting an entire article, post just a tidbit of the article then link up, for the rest....refresh yourself with the copyright policy of this board....Care

Reagan Administration Accomplishments 1981-1989 — The Forerunner

Last edited by a moderator:
Ronald Reagan's economic achievements were among the most important of his presidency. When he took office in January 1981, the U.S. economy was suffering from many ills, including slow growth, high inflation, rising unemployment and unprecedented interest rates. Economists commonly believed that it would take decades to fix all these problems, if they could be fixed at all, and that the political cost of doing so was impossibly large for a democracy. Yet, well before the end of Reagan's presidency in 1988, he had succeeded in reversing all of the problems he inherited, putting the U.S. economy on the path of sound, noninflationary growth that continues to this day.

To appreciate the magnitude of Reagan's achievement, it is important to recall just how bad the economic situation was in 1980.....

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/2004/06/14/editorial3.html

Allie .. please review the copyright policy of this board. Thank You. Gunny

Last edited:
Reagan is considered great for the real CHANGES that were made as a result of his policies, namely the downfall of the USSR. Yes, that came at a big cost (the deficits created), but at least we got a real-world result that the entire world benefited from. He also had to work with a bi-partisan Congress, a Dem controlled House especially. And YES dems back then had half a brain and supported most of his policies.

Reagan's greatest quality is that he was able to surround himself with smart guys. George H.W. Bush is probably the smartest man to hold the VP or Presidential spot in the last few generations. Reagan's State and Defense guys were top notch folks.

The problem with Reagan is that his actions to win the Cold War pretty much laid the seeds for the problems we face now. You can trace a lot of the roots of Islamic terrorism back to his time, along with the roots for the current deficit, massive spending, etc. His actions won the War, but may have lost the battle in the long run.

I have a feeling history isn't going to be very kind to Reagan.

What I don't understand is the deification of Reagan by Cons. Reagan literally couldn't get elected today in the GOP. His willingness to work with Democrats in the Congress, his massive spending, some of his more liberal stances... just strange.

Reagan was a far better president than most in what matters for the vast majority of Americans: jobs and inflation.

Posted in another thread, but relevant here.

What Ronnie left us:

A 9.6 point DECREASE in the Misery Index (inflation plus unemployment). Contrast that with Carter's 7 point and Obama's (in 17 months) 2.8 point INCREASE in the Misery Index.

Carter and Obama = More Misery

Reagan = Much Less Misery

And the only reason Obama's isn't much worse is because of the near free money policy being enforced by the Feds with their zero interest rate lending. The 1982 recession was necessary to bring down inflation (which was 13.6% when Reagan entered office), and was done via tight money. The current recession is flush with a big money supply - once the Feds are forced to tighten in order to roll over all of the foreign borrowing, we'll see inflationary pressure and high unemployment. Obamanomics = Epic Fail.

The United States Misery Index By President

Forum List

Back