Reagan Warned Us About Obama

Nova78

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P3hY1eagq88]Reagan Warned Us About Obama - YouTube[/ame]

All true............

I would have much rather listened to Reagan's speech minus the propagandized editing. The speech demonstrated two things about Reagan that I've always admired.

a) He could unite. The section where he talked about there being no left or right, but up or down, that the surrendering of the rights and freedoms intended for us by our founders was a path downward.

b) He didn't pander to religious fundamentalism. He talked about the greatest threat to mankind since we emerged from the swamps. If a GOP Presidential hopeful said something like that today there's no way he would make it halfway through the primary process.

As for the rest of it, Meh. Anybody can make anybody or anything look a certain way with proper editing. Look how positive Michael Moore made socialized healthcare look in his film Sicko. Well, of course me made it look good. He's Michael Moore.

As predicted at the time, Reagan's massive $749 billion supply-side tax cuts in 1981 quickly produced even more massive annual budget deficits. Combined with his rapid increase in defense spending, Reagan delivered not the balanced budgets he promised, but record-settings deficits. Ultimately, Reagan was forced to repeatedly raised taxes to avert financial catastrophe, including the last major bipartisan tax code overhaul in 1986. By the time he left office in 1989, Ronald Reagan nonetheless more than equaled the entire debt burden produced by the previous 200 years of American history.

During his presidency, Republicans in Congress voted seven times to raise the debt ceiling, the last to $11.3 trillion. By the time George W. Bush ambled out of the White House, he left his successor a $1.2 trillion budget deficit for 2009.

Reagan Proved Deficits Don't Matter* | Crooks and Liars

As predicted at the time, Reagan's massive $749 billion supply-side tax cuts in 1981 quickly produced even more massive annual budget deficits. Combined with his rapid increase in defense spending, Reagan delivered not the balanced budgets he promised, but record-settings deficits. Ultimately, Reagan was forced to repeatedly raised taxes to avert financial catastrophe, including the last major bipartisan tax code overhaul in 1986. By the time he left office in 1989, Ronald Reagan nonetheless more than equaled the entire debt burden produced by the previous 200 years of American history.

During his presidency, Republicans in Congress voted seven times to raise the debt ceiling, the last to $11.3 trillion. By the time George W. Bush ambled out of the White House, he left his successor a $1.2 trillion budget deficit for 2009.

I'm not going to argue that point. That Reagan ran up the deficit is easily verifiable. Reagan was not a perfect President. I simply admired his ability to lead, and his general outlook on freedom. I believe he was perfectly sincere in his speech, and right, but he did make some fiscal blunders that were not in line with his intentions. His significant increases in military spending are undeniable, but keep in mind that the Carter-era military was almost non-existent.

I'm not going to argue that point. That Reagan ran up the deficit is easily verifiable. Reagan was not a perfect President. I simply admired his ability to lead, and his general outlook on freedom. I believe he was perfectly sincere in his speech, and right, but he did make some fiscal blunders that were not in line with his intentions. His significant increases in military spending are undeniable, but keep in mind that the Carter-era military was almost non-existent.

ok...

and i blame reagan for letting the far right insane asylum have a seat at the GOP table... and his hatchet man lee atwater for starting the changes of tone in DC to what you see now.

Yeah....he used to talk about....

....too.

323.png

I would have much rather listened to Reagan's speech minus the propagandized editing. The speech demonstrated two things about Reagan that I've always admired.

a) He could unite. The section where he talked about there being no left or right, but up or down, that the surrendering of the rights and freedoms intended for us by our founders was a path downward.

b) He didn't pander to religious fundamentalism. He talked about the greatest threat to mankind since we emerged from the swamps. If a GOP Presidential hopeful said something like that today there's no way he would make it halfway through the primary process.

As for the rest of it, Meh. Anybody can make anybody or anything look a certain way with proper editing.

....Except GENOCIDE!!!

Ronald Reagan was first and foremost an actor. Everything he did was in accordance with the script written for him by the corporate king-makers who financed his presidency. Reagan was The Man From General Electric who successfully set the course of this Nation for a methodically gradual return to the Gilded Age, the manifest effects of which we are witnessing today.

Those who were seduced by Ronald Reagan, and who continue to revere this artful con-man, are as naive, impressionable, and politically delusional as those who believe in vampires, wolfmen, and Santa Claus. Ronald Reagan was a fraud and what he did to America is analogous to what cancer does to the living organism.

If Ronald Reagan warned us about Obama, Dwight Eisenhower warned us about Ronald Reagan. But we didn't listen.

As for the rest of it, Meh. Anybody can make anybody or anything look a certain way with proper editing. Look how positive Michael Moore made socialized healthcare look in his film Sicko. Well, of course me made it look good. He's Michael Moore.
Would you agree that socialized healthcare is better than no healthcare? Or would you prefer to live in a nation where half the population have access to medical care and half are left to get sick and die?

How do you feel about the fact that your country is the only country in the developed world which does not have a socialized healthcare system?

Stop listening to Limbaugh and other multi-millionaire corporatist propagandists. They have a job to do and you are proof they are doing it.

Many of the cut Carter made was due to the winding down of the Vietnam war. To be sure however his belief in Detante played a part. But history shows he had a change of heart before the USSR invaded Afghanistan. In 1979 he called for a significant increase in the military budget for fiscal 1979, a substantial strengthening of NATO forces, and the development and deployment of a new weapon, the neutron bomb. And then there was the RDF which some people don't think was such a good idea.

The Rapid Deployment Force: The Few, the Futile, the Expendable

Ronald Reagan was first and foremost an actor. Everything he did was in accordance with the script written for him by the corporate king-makers who financed his presidency. Reagan was The Man From General Electric who successfully set the course of this Nation for a methodically gradual return to the Gilded Age, the manifest effects of which we are witnessing today.

Those who were seduced by Ronald Reagan, and who continue to revere this artful con-man, are as naive, impressionable, and politically delusional as those who believe in vampires, wolfmen, and Santa Claus. Ronald Reagan was a fraud and what he did to America is analogous to what cancer does to the living organism.

If Ronald Reagan warned us about Obama, Dwight Eisenhower warned us about Ronald Reagan. But we didn't listen.

Would you agree that socialized healthcare is better than no healthcare? Or would you prefer to live in a nation where half the population have access to medical care and half are left to get sick and die?

How do you feel about the fact that your country is the only country in the developed world which does not have a socialized healthcare system?

Stop listening to Limbaugh and other multi-millionaire corporatist propagandists. They have a job to do and you are proof they are doing it.

I'll be happy to answer your question regarding healthcare, but we will be derailing the thread if we go too far. Also, if you're going to start calling me delusional and naive as you are already suggesting, I'll probably choose to come to a close pretty quickly, but I understand you were probably just making a point.

Of course socialized healthcare is better than no healthcare. That is a silly question. If you are a rational being you will acknowledge that there are pros and cons to just about every solution. Socialized healthcare, when applied well, does indeed provide more universal routine healthcare. I've never refuse to acknowledge that, and only a truly delusional extremist would do so.

On the other hand, for medical breakthroughs and more advance medical procedures, systems that favor doing things for profit tend to fare better. My wife is from the UK, and she tends to have a shinier disposition of socialized healthcare, but she also tells me stories about members her family having to have some kind of major procedure done and them having to wait and wait, or having some kind of horror story involved with the matter. So, yes, she tends to favor socialized healthcare more so than myself, but she is also realistic enough to acknowledge that when such a thing may be beneficial in some ways, there are always downsides.

My primary point was not to establish a position on socialized healthcare, it was about the video posted, by using Moore as an example. Michael Moore is a well-known liberal. He also has an agenda. With the film Sicko, he had something he had to prove. If there were anything negative about the systems he was choosing to cover, do you think he would have included it? Of course not. It's not so much about his position, I just think he is an immature and dishonest filmmaker.

As for the rest of it, Meh. Anybody can make anybody or anything look a certain way with proper editing.

....Except GENOCIDE!!!

Good one. Props for that.

However, I will stop just short of Godwin's Law and say this: it's been made to seem like a good thing to an entire nation before, who's to say it couldn't happen again?

Forum List

Back