Reagan vs Obama: Raw Numbers of the 1st two years

Sorry pal

Reagan was responsible for the entire period of office including the 10.8 percent unemployment. Arbitrarily cherry picking only the period once the recession ends is deceptive

obama has blown it = arbitrarily, because you know, economics is measured only in a linear calender fashion, when I say it is because, I don't have an argument, got it.

Look at two years of Obama vs two years of Reagan and Obama wins hands down. If you want to look at three years or four years ...we can do that to..when the time comes

I see so once again economics means shit = I need more time for my loser to make up ground...

5.3M new jobs > 121K new jobs

And that is why Reagan was a much better President than Obama can ever hope to be.

Reagan created 5.3 million new jobs in his first 2 years in office?

Now that's an interesting figure. Please feel free to send us a link.

sorry, you don't get to define the debate to make yourself right or give yourself an out...its been 18 months since the recession ended, where is the growth? wheres the jobs? wheres the dollar? wheres inflation?

and you apparently have not read my prior posts , gee surprise surprise do I need to repost them all? No where did I ignore the economy in 81 and 82, I SAID it was Reagans recession, he owned it. You see, unlike you, I don't gloss over the inconvenient and factual to back my dog in a fight, it is what it is......try it some time.

gee how much time would like, oh say lets use your heros benchmark, FDR, so, what?another 5 years of this? oh sure why not. Obama will be successful one day. just give him more timmmmeeee.......

do you want to explore the Krugman commentary on Reagan then, when he made it?? using his yardstick then obama should be king of the world and we should be zipping along at plus 6% growth and unemployment ( wiht nio loss of labor participation) should be dropping, and inflation flat-lined with record federal revenue........

Umm, not for nothing, but "18 months" after the Carter recession ended, we had...

Another recesssion...

Just saying.

Last edited:
Obama is No Reagan.

Begin with the economy. Reagan and Obama both inherited deep and brutal recessions. But the first six recovery quarters look completely different for each president.

So far, real gross domestic product has averaged only 3 percent annually for Obama. Employment as defined by nonfarm payrolls has increased by a paltry 121,000.

On the other hand, going back to Reagan's first six recovery quarters, real GDP averaged 7.7 percent annually, while nonfarm payrolls rose by 5.3 million.

No two situations are exactly alike. Reagan inherited massive double-digit inflation with 20 percent interest rates. Obama was left with a colossal financial meltdown. But Reagan's economic vision put private-sector free enterprise at the center. Obama has chosen a massive expansion of government power.

These are huge differences. One succeeded, while thus far the other has not.

While Obama's first act was an $800 billion government-spending package, one of Reagan's first decisions was a near $50 billion domestic-spending cut ($100 billion in constant dollars today). Obama went for a nationalized health care plan, energy cap-and-tax-and-trade and pro-union card check. Reagan ended wage and price controls, deregulated all energy prices, terminated the Synthetic Fuels Corp. and fired the striking air-traffic controllers. Big differences.

Drawing from the work of Arthur Laffer and Robert Mundell, Reagan saw the economic-growth benefits of limited government, lower tax rates and a dollar as good as gold. Gold prices plunged as Reagan and Paul Volcker worked to vanquish inflation. Ever-soaring inflation was the cruelest tax hike of all. But in the Reagan years, the inflation rate dropped from near 13 percent to as low as 2 percent -- a huge disinflation tax cut. Accompanied by lower marginal tax rates, the Reagan policies sparked a powerful recovery in business and jobs.

Reagan slashed tax rates across the board for individuals, investors and businesses. At the margin, his reforms lowered the top personal rate from 70 percent to 28 percent. And he left a simple two-bracket tax code that cut thousands of pages of IRS rules and regulations.

And while the top individual tax rate was slashed under Reagan, individual income-tax revenues increased from roughly $300 billion to $450 billion. In other words, the Laffer curve worked. With surging economic growth, the incentives from lower tax rates actually raised tax revenues.

Obama Equal Reagan? So Far, It Ain't Even Close - Rasmussen Reports™

What are you defining as "Recovery Quarters"???

Are you conveniently omitting the fact that the country was launched into a second recession long after Reagan took over? Are you counting from the end of THAT recession?

Really?

That is what is commonly referred to as a hell of a lot of spin.

Reagan, February 1981 (beginning of 1st Term):

Unemployment: 7.4%
Approval Rating: 55% (the 66% approval ratings were in March)

Reagan, February 1983:

Unemployment: 10.4% (+3.0%)
Approval Rating: 35% (-20%)

Obama, February 2009 (beginning of 1st Term):

Unemployment: 8.2%
Approval Rating: 68%

Obama, February 2011:

Unemployment: 9.0% (+0.8%)
Approval Rating: 50% (-18%)

Sources:

Presidential Popularity Over Time

The United States Unemployment Rate

Just the numbers. Let the spin begin.
The 2008 recession was the worst recession since the Depression. Neither of the two Reagan recessions compare to the current recession.

Reagan spent his way out of his recessiion. So did Obama

Both pumped money into a struggling economy to artificially prop it up. Reagan spent his on Defense, Obama spent his on infrastructure. Both cut taxes while increasing spending

Reagans economy rebounded faster than Obama's. But Reagan also tripled the existing deficit to do so

Different times and circumstances. Just like comparing Oscar Robertson to Michael Jordan, the rules changed over time. In the real world, the big bear is dead and we are faced with packs of jackels nipping at out heels.

Different times and circumstances. Just like comparing Oscar Robertson to Michael Jordan, the rules changed over time. In the real world, the big bear is dead and we are faced with packs of jackels nipping at out heels.

Does this mean Reagan is Oscar Robertson?

LMAO @ taking a Far RW hack media outlet like Rasmussen serious.

:lol:

Those of you who are saying that such comparisons inevitable make ZERO sense have got it, I think.

They faced very different economic problems, folks.

Why?

Because the nature of our economies changes so damned much in the last three and a half decades, that's why.

sorry, you don't get to define the debate to make yourself right or give yourself an out...its been 18 months since the recession ended, where is the growth? wheres the jobs? wheres the dollar? wheres inflation?

and you apparently have not read my prior posts , gee surprise surprise do I need to repost them all? No where did I ignore the economy in 81 and 82, I SAID it was Reagans recession, he owned it. You see, unlike you, I don't gloss over the inconvenient and factual to back my dog in a fight, it is what it is......try it some time.

gee how much time would like, oh say lets use your heros benchmark, FDR, so, what?another 5 years of this? oh sure why not. Obama will be successful one day. just give him more timmmmeeee.......

do you want to explore the Krugman commentary on Reagan then, when he made it?? using his yardstick then obama should be king of the world and we should be zipping along at plus 6% growth and unemployment ( wiht nio loss of labor participation) should be dropping, and inflation flat-lined with record federal revenue........

Umm, not for nothing, but "18 months" after the Carter recession ended, we had...

Another recesssion...

Just saying.

just sayin...I know that, I acknowledged that back on page 2 or 3.....and have said it 3 times now aside from that.....just sayin' ...

AND, its right above in the post you quoted above, that I have NOW added emphasis to in bold, underline and italicized........just sayin'...

and it wasn't 18 months ......... just sayin'..............it was 1 year........just sayin'

Jan–July 1980

July 1981 –Nov 1982

from the NBER link I gave you back on page 2...just sayin'....

just sayin...I know that, I acknowledged that back on page 2 or 3.....and have said it 3 times now aside from that.....just sayin' ...

AND, its right above in the post you quoted above, that I have NOW added emphasis to in bold, underline and italicized........just sayin'...

and it wasn't 18 months ......... just sayin'..............it was 1 year........just sayin'

Jan–July 1980

July 1981 –Nov 1982

Yeah... If the first recession ended in July of 1980, and the second recession lasted until Nov 1982, then we would have still been in a recession 18 months after the end of the first recession...

I didn't say the recession STARTED 18 months after the end of the last one, I said we had one going on 18 months afterwards.

And all I've been doing is comparing overall performance so far. I'm not going to make any predictions on future failure or success.

Obama sucks.

Comparing him to Reagan is comical and yet people always want to do it..........notably, Reagan haters.

Who's a Reagan hater?

I don't hate Reagan. My point was that people who are the loudest Obama critics are the same people who idolize Reagan, yet just by the numbers alone, Obama is doing better economically than Reagan.

Sorry if you feel that saying someone did something better than Reagan is some kind of heresy, but that's just the way it seems to be, by the numbers alone.

Those of you who are saying that such comparisons inevitable make ZERO sense have got it, I think.

Why?

Because the nature of our economies changes so damned much in the last three and a half decades, that's why.

Then by saying this, you completely invalidate any comparison at all, and make Obama's high unemployment numbers completely meaningless.

Which in turn means that no-one can criticize the Obama administration based on unemployment data, because there is no basis for comparison with other unemployment data.

I personally don't believe this to be the case, but that is the end result of this line of logic.

Jan–July 1980

July 1981 –Nov 1982

Yeah... If the first recession ended in July of 1980, and the second recession lasted until Nov 1982, then we would have still been in a recession 18 months after the end of the first recession...

I didn't say the recession STARTED 18 months after the end of the last one, I said we had one going on 18 months afterwards.

:eusa_eh:my emphasis in bold, ....thats exactly what you said *shrugs*, you just had your dates wrong, it was NOT 18 months after one ENDED, but a year after, there was no other recession you can be referring to..........

this is what I answered-

Another recesssion...

And all I've been doing is comparing overall performance so far.

okay then.....*shrugs*

I'm not going to make any predictions on future failure or success.

uhm, ok, I never asked you to(?)

Last edited:

Why?

there are some salient differences in obstacles, low inflation to none vs. very high, very low interests rates, very high, both had a shitty dollar to start with.......high unemployment etc...

but the "economy" is not different, that is the principles that govern them and what influences economies to produce 'success' or not, are the very same.

at the end of the day; we pay and vote for presidents to be successful, one gauge of thier success is the economy, we shall see how it all turns out.....from where I sit? One has got some very serious ground to make up and is already over a year late......*shrugs*

Forum List

Back