Reagan: Killer, Coward, Con-man

Greg Palast

"In 1987, I found myself stuck in a crappy little town in Nicaragua named Chaguitillo. The people were kind enough, though hungry, except for one surly young man. His wife had just died of tuberculosis.

People don't die of TB if they get some antibiotics. But Ronald Reagan, big-hearted guy that he was, had put a lock-down embargo on medicine to Nicaragua because he didn't like the government that the people there had elected.

Ronnie grinned and cracked jokes while the young woman's lungs filled up and she stopped breathing. Reagan flashed that B-movie grin while they buried the mother of three."

TB killed 177 people in Singapore in 1987. Are all of those people, and the rest of the people that died around the world, also the fault of Ronald Reagan?

You almost gotta admire lefties for the way they keep their anger at a peak for decades. You have to have a tenuous grip on reality to operate on an emotional level like that. An anecdotal account of a visit to Central America in the 80's is hardly justification for calling President Reagan a killer. Left Wing democrat senator Boland inserted a amendment into a Military appropriations bill that prevented the US from helping the poor people in Nicaragua overcome communist infiltration. Anybody who calls a brave man who once saved 77 lives as a lifeguard, a coward needs their head examined.

The right wing didn't have a problem calling Kerry a coward..now did it.

Personally..I don't think Reagan was a coward. In fact..he handled the assassination attempt in a very brave and admirable fashion.

However..dealing with an enemy while not having an mandate to do so and circumventing the Constitution to support pet causes..is despicable.

I am not sure what you mean by dealing with an enemy without a mandate, but are you condemning Carter for talking to terrorist groups? As for circumventing the Constitution, it doesn't seem to bother you that Obama is doing it.

Greg Palast?

Oh, yeah, he's the raving moonbat who said in 2007 that the 2008 elections were already stolen.

So, how'd that assertion work out? :lol:

Obama did a good job of stealing those elections. I can point out quite a few Hillary supporters that have a real beef about what happened. When I went to the caucus and saw the outnumbered Obama delegates walk out with the local nomination I have to admit I thought they had a point.

Greg Palast » Reagan: Killer, Coward, Con-man

gregpalast.com

"I remember Nancy, a skull and crossbones prancing around in designer dresses, some of the "gifts" that flowed to the Reagans — from hats to million-dollar homes — from cronies well compensated with government loot. It used to be called bribery.

And all the while, Grandpa grinned, the grandfather who bleated on about "family values" but didn't bother to see his own grandchildren.

The New York Times, in its canned obit, wrote that Reagan projected, "faith in small town America" and "old-time values."

"Values" my ass. It was union-busting and a declaration of war on the poor and anyone who couldn't buy designer dresses. It was the New Meanness, bringing starvation back to America so that every millionaire could get another million.

"Small town" values? From the movie star of the Pacific Palisades, the Malibu mogul? I want to throw up.

And all the while, in the White House basement, as his brain boiled away, Reagan's last conscious act was to condone a coup d'état against our elected Congress. Reagan's Defense Secretary Casper the Ghost Weinberger with the crazed Colonel, Ollie North, plotted to give guns to the Monster of the Mideast, Ayatolla Khomeini.

Reagan's boys called Jimmy Carter a weanie and a wuss although Carter wouldn't give an inch to the Ayatollah. Reagan, with that film-fantasy tough-guy con in front of cameras, went begging like a coward cockroach to Khomeini, pleading on bended knee for the release of our hostages.

Ollie North flew into Iran with a birthday cake for the maniac mullah — no kidding — in the shape of a key. The key to Ronnie's heart.

Then the Reagan roaches mixed their cowardice with crime: taking cash from the hostage-takers to buy guns for the "contras" — the drug-runners of Nicaragua posing as freedom fighters."

good grief, reading this Palast fellow is like reading something that was written by someone in High school.

maybe if he grew up I'd give a shit about what he had to say.

Greg Palast?

Oh, yeah, he's the raving moonbat who said in 2007 that the 2008 elections were already stolen.

So, how'd that assertion work out? :lol:

Obama did a good job of stealing those elections. I can point out quite a few Hillary supporters that have a real beef about what happened. When I went to the caucus and saw the outnumbered Obama delegates walk out with the local nomination I have to admit I thought they had a point.
Possibly, but that's not what Palast was feverishly predicting. :lol:

And where I live..there are no shortage of businesses offering minimum wage employment.

So shoot.

My questions are pretty binary.
Sure, there aren't a shortage of businesses offering minimum wage employment, that's not the point. There are no shortage of businesses offering $100K jobs either. That's not the point. The point is regarding those not worth minimum wage. I own three businesses in the Triangle of North Carolina. Not a low wage area. Two of them hire minimum wage workers. We are inundated with applications and we let many go who aren't worth it. We'd gladly pay minimum wage and up if we could find enough people who are worth it, but so many aren't and we're not going to pay that for people who are unreliable.

You haven't answered the question, you evaded it. And that is the big lie of the minimum wage. It's not a tide, it's a hurdle. No business pays someone wages they aren't worth. The minimum wage says if you are not worth $7.25 an hour, you are prohibited from working. And lots of people were in fact laid off when it went up. So, is Obama a Criminal and a Con-Man? I can give you the names of people who don't work for me because I can find people who are worth $7.25 an hour and I'm not paying someone that who isn't worth $7.25 an hour.

I didn't "evade" it in the slightest. The answer was spot on and included a link. Your silly and ridiculous ruminations are just that. No citizen is "prohibited" from working a minimum wage job. And there are tons of them.

Although the question I posed is pretty simple to answer..it's hard for a right winger to answer, honestly. Don't worry..I get that.
Shallow is the right name for you. Is this seriously logical to you?

I said companies won't pay people who aren't worth minimum wage minimum wage, so they are prohibited from working because they can't get jobs. Your reply was there are lots of minimum wage jobs. First a point I already addressed and you ignored. Did you not actually read what I said or are you just a moron?

Greg Palast

"In 1987, I found myself stuck in a crappy little town in Nicaragua named Chaguitillo. The people were kind enough, though hungry, except for one surly young man. His wife had just died of tuberculosis.

People don't die of TB if they get some antibiotics. But Ronald Reagan, big-hearted guy that he was, had put a lock-down embargo on medicine to Nicaragua because he didn't like the government that the people there had elected.

Ronnie grinned and cracked jokes while the young woman's lungs filled up and she stopped breathing. Reagan flashed that B-movie grin while they buried the mother of three."
Why isn't this fucktardery in the romper room?

Ronald Reagan: Government isn't the solution to our problem, government is the problem

if you ever need to be reminded that raygun was a moron, just remember that quote!

Greg Palast

Why isn't this fucktardery in the romper room?
it should be

You almost gotta admire lefties for the way they keep their anger at a peak for decades. You have to have a tenuous grip on reality to operate on an emotional level like that. An anecdotal account of a visit to Central America in the 80's is hardly justification for calling President Reagan a killer. Left Wing democrat senator Boland inserted a amendment into a Military appropriations bill that prevented the US from helping the poor people in Nicaragua overcome communist infiltration. Anybody who calls a brave man who once saved 77 lives as a lifeguard, a coward needs their head examined.
So why didn't the brave man who once saved 77 lives as a lifeguard fight for freedom in World War II?

Poor eyesight??

Greg Palast

Reagan helped prevent Nicaragua from turning into a Communist dictatorship. There's no telling how many tens of thousands of lives and untold human misery that saved.
:lol:

The contras kidnapped, raped and murdered nuns.

Reagan supported that.

You're an idiot if you think Reagan supported the rape and murder of nuns. Reagan saved over 70 people from drowning working as a lifeguard in the summer during his youth. All who knew him agree he was a decent and devoutly religous man who had a deep reverence for life.

He supported an anticommunist movement in Nicaragua because he knew that communism is antithetical to democracy and freedom, and had to be defeated. Reagan was alive during the reigns of Stalin, Mao, and Castro, and had not forgotten the tens of millions exterminated on behalf of the Marxist ideology, and I think his conscience compelled him to not allow the same thing to happen in Central America while he was in a position to do something to stop it.

So if I come up with an unsubstantiated, anecdotal attack on Obama blaming him for any of his policies that presumably cause an unintended death, will you concede he is a "Killer, Coward, Con-Man" as well? Or is that honor only bestowed on people you don't agree with politically?

Superb comeback. Amen! Such idiots. Oh well, the color purple all over again.

Robert

So if I come up with an unsubstantiated, anecdotal attack on Obama blaming him for any of his policies that presumably cause an unintended death, will you concede he is a "Killer, Coward, Con-Man" as well? Or is that honor only bestowed on people you don't agree with politically?

Superb comeback. Amen! Such idiots. Oh well, the color purple all over again.

Robert
By what moral/legal authority did Reagan impose a "lock-down embargo on medicines for Nicaraguan civilians?

Some might view that action as state sponsored terrorism.

Reagan helped prevent Nicaragua from turning into a Communist dictatorship. There's no telling how many tens of thousands of lives and untold human misery that saved.
:lol:

The contras kidnapped, raped and murdered nuns.

Reagan supported that.

You're an idiot if you think Reagan supported the rape and murder of nuns. Reagan saved over 70 people from drowning working as a lifeguard in the summer during his youth. All who knew him agree he was a decent and devoutly religous man who had a deep reverence for life.

He supported an anticommunist movement in Nicaragua because he knew that communism is antithetical to democracy and freedom, and had to be defeated. Reagan was alive during the reigns of Stalin, Mao, and Castro, and had not forgotten the tens of millions exterminated on behalf of the Marxist ideology, and I think his conscience compelled him to not allow the same thing to happen in Central America while he was in a position to do something to stop it.
The anti-communist movement in Nicaragua supported by Reagan deliberately attacked "soft targets" like schools and hospitals. If Reagan didn't know this he was an incompetent (or forgetful) terrorist.

From Wiki:

"From an early stage, the rebels (Contras) received both overt and covert financial and military support from the United States government through the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), initially supplemented by the Argentine dictatorship of the time. At other times the US Congress wished to distance itself from the Contras and withdrew all overt support...

"Americas Watch - which subsequently became part of Human Rights Watch - stated that 'the Contras systematically engage in violent abuses... so prevalent that these may be said to be their principal means of waging war.'[16] It accused the Contras of:

* targeting health care clinics and health care workers for assassination.
* kidnapping civilians.
* torturing civilians.
* executing civilians, including children, who were captured in combat.
* raping women.
* indiscriminately attacking civilians and civilian houses.
* seizing civilian property.
* burning civilian houses in captured towns."

Reagan was no more concerned with contra abuses than he was with AIDS (or Alzheimer's) Some who knew him thought he was a psychopathic liar and corporate tool.

The Shah of Iran looks pretty good 32 years later.

He may have an SOB (and that is debatable) - but he was "Our SOB"

Recall how The Left hailed Khomenie as a Great Savior/Liberator when he returned from exile in Paris.

(Like they hailed mass-murderer Lenin when he returned from exile in 1917.)

"Mohammad Mosaddegh or Mosaddeq (Persian: محمد مصدّق, IPA: [mohæmˈmæd(-e) mosædˈdeɣ] ( listen)*), also Mossadegh, Mossadeq, Mosadeck, or Musaddiq (19 May 1882 – 5 March 1967), was the democratically elected[1][2][3] Prime Minister of Iran from 1951 to 1953 when he was overthrown in a coup d'état backed by the United States Central Intelligence Agency.

Mosaddegh might have been a better choice than either the Shah or those who replaced him.

Maybe what comes next in Iran will be an improvement.

Forum List

Back