Reagan: Killer, Coward, Con-man

Discussion in 'History' started by u2scram, Feb 10, 2011.

1. u2scram

u2scram Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Greg Palast

"In 1987, I found myself stuck in a crappy little town in Nicaragua named Chaguitillo. The people were kind enough, though hungry, except for one surly young man. His wife had just died of tuberculosis.

People don't die of TB if they get some antibiotics. But Ronald Reagan, big-hearted guy that he was, had put a lock-down embargo on medicine to Nicaragua because he didn't like the government that the people there had elected.

Ronnie grinned and cracked jokes while the young woman's lungs filled up and she stopped breathing. Reagan flashed that B-movie grin while they buried the mother of three."

2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    That's not very civil of you.

3. kaz

kaz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,938
    So if I come up with an unsubstantiated, anecdotal attack on Obama blaming him for any of his policies that presumably cause an unintended death, will you concede he is a "Killer, Coward, Con-Man" as well? Or is that honor only bestowed on people you don't agree with politically?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Are you saying that Reagan didn't make a deal with Iranian hostage takers to hold the hostages till after the election for weapons and airplane parts?

Are you saying that Reagan then didn't use the funds from those deals to secretly fund the Contras, explicitly violating an act of Congress?

Not sure..just want to be clear here.

5. kaz

kaz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,938
    I thought my point was pretty clear, and it didn't address your question in any way. What's even odder about your question is that the post referred to the embargo, it doesn't even talk about the Contras or providing them with arms, it refers to a medical embargo. So you're asking me...

When you question an anecdotal ad hominem attack by a liberal on their political foe about a medical embargo, are you denying there was an arms deal? That would be a complete non-sequitur.

Question, so if someone not worth $7.25 an hour can't get a job they could have gotten before the minimum wage went up, is Obama a Coward and a Con Man? I dropped Killer since they didn't die. You first since my question is related to the point I made and yours wasn't.

6. Sallow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Since there are a wealth of exemptions from minimum..absolutely not.

And where I live..there are no shortage of businesses offering minimum wage employment.

So shoot.

My questions are pretty binary.

7. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,667
    You almost gotta admire lefties for the way they keep their anger at a peak for decades. You have to have a tenuous grip on reality to operate on an emotional level like that. An anecdotal account of a visit to Central America in the 80's is hardly justification for calling President Reagan a killer. Left Wing democrat senator Boland inserted a amendment into a Military appropriations bill that prevented the US from helping the poor people in Nicaragua overcome communist infiltration. Anybody who calls a brave man who once saved 77 lives as a lifeguard, a coward needs their head examined.

8. Sallow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    The right wing didn't have a problem calling Kerry a coward..now did it.

Personally..I don't think Reagan was a coward. In fact..he handled the assassination attempt in a very brave and admirable fashion.

However..dealing with an enemy while not having an mandate to do so and circumventing the Constitution to support pet causes..is despicable.

9. kaz

kaz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,938
    Sure, there aren't a shortage of businesses offering minimum wage employment, that's not the point. There are no shortage of businesses offering $100K jobs either. That's not the point. The point is regarding those not worth minimum wage. I own three businesses in the Triangle of North Carolina. Not a low wage area. Two of them hire minimum wage workers. We are inundated with applications and we let many go who aren't worth it. We'd gladly pay minimum wage and up if we could find enough people who are worth it, but so many aren't and we're not going to pay that for people who are unreliable.

You haven't answered the question, you evaded it. And that is the big lie of the minimum wage. It's not a tide, it's a hurdle. No business pays someone wages they aren't worth. The minimum wage says if you are not worth $7.25 an hour, you are prohibited from working. And lots of people were in fact laid off when it went up. So, is Obama a Criminal and a Con-Man? I can give you the names of people who don't work for me because I can find people who are worth $7.25 an hour and I'm not paying someone that who isn't worth $7.25 an hour.

10. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,667
    It's a completely different context fuzz face but let me enlighten you. When you recommend yourself for a medal and then use the medal in a political campaign what do you think will happen? Right furry cheeks, the details of the self-award will be a legitimate subject for discussion and disagreement. Comparing a three month stint in VietNam to eight years as president is rather desperate argument.