Reagan and Taxes

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
For those of us who lived through the Nixon/Ford, Carter, and Reagan years in the workforce, the myths and misconceptions are so deep it is nearly impossible without a scorecard of history to know even a bit of the real situation. The Bible states, money is the root of all evil, written so long ago they missed the modern function of money. It needs to amended to add: money is also the root of all tax spin and total BS when elections and politicians are controlled by corporate welfare.

"Despite Peggy Noonan’s wild delusion that Reagan "said he would cut the budget, and he did," he expanded it significantly. Neither did he reduce the size of government — the number of federal workers rose 61,000 under Reagan, as opposed to Clinton who cut 373,000 jobs. The deficit tripled from the time he took office until the time he left.

I understand that Republicans are responsible for the complete and utter failure of supply side economics and the damage that the unfettered implementation of their crackpot theories has wrought, and they’re struggling to rationalize why anyone should listen to them. But their continuing need to transmogrify Ronald Reagan in order to gin up an excuse only underscores how morally impoverished, intellectually bankrupt and justifiably discredited the conservative movement is right now."

"It’s conservative lore that Reagan the icon cut taxes, while George H.W. Bush the renegade raised them. As Stockman recalls, "No one was authorized to talk about tax increases on Ronald Reagan’s watch, no matter what kind of tax, no matter how justified it was." Yet raising taxes is exactly what Reagan did. He did not always instigate those hikes or agree to them willingly–but he signed off on them. One year after his massive tax cut, Reagan agreed to a tax increase to reduce the deficit that restored fully one-third of the previous year’s reduction. (In a bizarre bit of self-deception, Reagan, who never came to terms with this episode of ideological apostasy, persuaded himself that the three-year, $100 billion tax hike–the largest since World War II–was actually "tax reform" that closed loopholes in his earlier cut and therefore didn’t count as raising taxes.)

Faced with looming deficits, Reagan raised taxes again in 1983 with a gasoline tax and once more in 1984, this time by $50 billion over three years, mainly through closing tax loopholes for business. Despite the fact that such increases were anathema to conservatives–and probably cost Reagan’s successor, George H.W. Bush, reelection–Reagan raised taxes a grand total of four times just between 1982-84.

This record flummoxes the best efforts of today’s Reagan hagiographers to explain away. Peter Wallison, for instance, after proclaiming that Reagan "stayed the course against changes in his economic plan," later dismisses the president’s tax increases as "a modest rollback" that "seems to have been the result" of his accepting a Democratic promise to cut spending by twice that amount. (Whatever happened to "Trust, but verify"?)

Reagan continued these "modest rollbacks" in his second term. The historic Tax Reform Act of 1986, though it achieved the supply side goal of lowering individual income tax rates, was a startlingly progressive reform. The plan imposed the largest corporate tax increase in history–an act utterly unimaginable for any conservative to support today. Just two years after declaring, "there is no justification" for taxing corporate income, Reagan raised corporate taxes by $120 billion over five years and closed corporate tax loopholes worth about $300 billion over that same period. In addition to broadening the tax base, the plan increased standard deductions and personal exemptions to the point that no family with an income below the poverty line would have to pay federal income tax. Even at the time, conservatives within Reagan’s administration were aghast. According to Wall Street Journal reporters Jeffrey Birnbaum and Alan Murray, whose book Showdown at Gucci Gulch chronicles the 1986 measure, "the conservative president’s support for an effort once considered the bastion of liberals carried tremendous symbolic significance." When Reagan’s conservative acting chief economic adviser, William Niskanen, was apprised of the plan he replied, "Walter Mondale would have been proud.""

Newsflash: Ronald Reagan Raised Taxes (You Idiots) | Firedoglake

The Idolatry of Ideology-Why Tax Cuts Hurt the Economy by Russ Beaton
Spending Cuts Vs. Tax Increases at the State Level, 10/30/01

For those of us who lived through the Nixon/Ford, Carter, and Reagan years in the workforce, the myths and misconceptions are so deep it is nearly impossible without a scorecard of history to know even a bit of the real situation. The Bible states, money is the root of all evil, written so long ago they missed the modern function of money. It needs to amended to add: money is also the root of all tax spin and total BS when elections and politicians are controlled by corporate welfare.

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 1 Timothy 6:10

If you're going to insist on quoting the Bible to try to support your bullshit, at least quote it correctly, Idiot Boy.

"Despite Peggy Noonan’s wild delusion that Reagan "said he would cut the budget, and he did," he expanded it significantly. Neither did he reduce the size of government — the number of federal workers rose 61,000 under Reagan, as opposed to Clinton who cut 373,000 jobs. The deficit tripled from the time he took office until the time he left.

I understand that Republicans are responsible for the complete and utter failure of supply side economics and the damage that the unfettered implementation of their crackpot theories has wrought, and they’re struggling to rationalize why anyone should listen to them. But their continuing need to transmogrify Ronald Reagan in order to gin up an excuse only underscores how morally impoverished, intellectually bankrupt and justifiably discredited the conservative movement is right now."

"It’s conservative lore that Reagan the icon cut taxes, while George H.W. Bush the renegade raised them. As Stockman recalls, "No one was authorized to talk about tax increases on Ronald Reagan’s watch, no matter what kind of tax, no matter how justified it was." Yet raising taxes is exactly what Reagan did. He did not always instigate those hikes or agree to them willingly–but he signed off on them. One year after his massive tax cut, Reagan agreed to a tax increase to reduce the deficit that restored fully one-third of the previous year’s reduction. (In a bizarre bit of self-deception, Reagan, who never came to terms with this episode of ideological apostasy, persuaded himself that the three-year, $100 billion tax hike–the largest since World War II–was actually "tax reform" that closed loopholes in his earlier cut and therefore didn’t count as raising taxes.)

Faced with looming deficits, Reagan raised taxes again in 1983 with a gasoline tax and once more in 1984, this time by $50 billion over three years, mainly through closing tax loopholes for business. Despite the fact that such increases were anathema to conservatives–and probably cost Reagan’s successor, George H.W. Bush, reelection–Reagan raised taxes a grand total of four times just between 1982-84.

This record flummoxes the best efforts of today’s Reagan hagiographers to explain away. Peter Wallison, for instance, after proclaiming that Reagan "stayed the course against changes in his economic plan," later dismisses the president’s tax increases as "a modest rollback" that "seems to have been the result" of his accepting a Democratic promise to cut spending by twice that amount. (Whatever happened to "Trust, but verify"?)

Reagan continued these "modest rollbacks" in his second term. The historic Tax Reform Act of 1986, though it achieved the supply side goal of lowering individual income tax rates, was a startlingly progressive reform. The plan imposed the largest corporate tax increase in history–an act utterly unimaginable for any conservative to support today. Just two years after declaring, "there is no justification" for taxing corporate income, Reagan raised corporate taxes by $120 billion over five years and closed corporate tax loopholes worth about $300 billion over that same period. In addition to broadening the tax base, the plan increased standard deductions and personal exemptions to the point that no family with an income below the poverty line would have to pay federal income tax. Even at the time, conservatives within Reagan’s administration were aghast. According to Wall Street Journal reporters Jeffrey Birnbaum and Alan Murray, whose book Showdown at Gucci Gulch chronicles the 1986 measure, "the conservative president’s support for an effort once considered the bastion of liberals carried tremendous symbolic significance." When Reagan’s conservative acting chief economic adviser, William Niskanen, was apprised of the plan he replied, "Walter Mondale would have been proud.""

Newsflash: Ronald Reagan Raised Taxes (You Idiots) | Firedoglake

The Idolatry of Ideology-Why Tax Cuts Hurt the Economy by Russ Beaton
Spending Cuts Vs. Tax Increases at the State Level, 10/30/01

I'm so glad people like you are around. Without your desperate need to try to justify your delusional worldview, I wouldn't be able to stay caught up on my all-important "Lunatic Blog Sites" reading. Thanks.

Reagan's part of the Cold War created global military obligations that have bankrupted America. As everyone knows, military costs are hidden (it took years for Stigliz to get even close to discovering the real costs of Iraq) -- so America's financial problems are much worse than anyone realizes.

By the time Reagan came to Washington, the Soviets were in serious decline. He inflated the threat in order to bring poor resource-rich countries under Washington's "protective" wing. Ronnie had to make it about "security" and "protection". Seriously, he couldn't say he was in Central America in order to prevent economies (and their precious resources) from being nationalized -- no, to the contrary, he had to say he was making the world safe for Democracy, as he got in bed with one dictator after another. (nobody outside the GOP base was fooled)

Read the label on your toaster. Like your oil, it comes from an unstable 3rd world country. The Cold War, under Reagan, became a context for militarizing global supply chains so as to ensure the flow of capital-&-resources. The greatest threat to Reagan's militarization of the globe was the Clinton peace dividend. The Neocons require a big enemy so that they have an alibi to go wherever a supply chain or resource needs tending to.

This is why the War on Terrorism was ABSOLUTELY necessary. It became the new context for using national security as an alibi to militarize vital regions. In 2012 the War will be back on steroids, and America will increase it's self-destruction under the Reagan model.

Self-destruction? How?

Eventually, the globe is too hard to control -- and your nation literally runs out of money. And when it does, the big corporations who fund your elections and staff your government will move to another set of tools.

Last edited:
But their continuing need to transmogrify Ronald Reagan in order to gin up an excuse only underscores how morally impoverished, intellectually bankrupt and justifiably discredited the conservative movement is right now."

Spot on.

See how Liberals/Progressives/Marxists/Fascists have to lie about everything?

They lie about the economic "Greatness" of FDR (8 Years of double digit almost 20% unemployment) and they lie about Reagan.

They lie about Reagan raising taxes, Reagan NEVER HAD A REPUBLICAN CONGRESS!

Let's be honest: Progressive hate Reagan because he beat their home team the USSR. In fact he beat them so completely he left them no alternative but to accelerate their takeover of the Democrat Party.

Lies, lies lies. It's the Progressive way.

Last edited:

They lie about the economic "Greatness" of FDR (8 Years of double digit almost 20% unemployment) and they lie about Reagan.

Let's be honest: Progressive hate Reagan because he beat their home team the USSR. In fact he beat them so completely he left them no alternative but to accelerate their takeover of the Democrat Party.

The sad/scary fact is CrusaderFrank really, really believes the stuff he posts. Many on the right are willfully ignorant; CF is all of that and has recieved a light rinse by conservative media (a full brain wash was not necessary, given his gray matter was totally white)

The sad/scary fact is CrusaderFrank really, really believes the stuff he posts. Many on the right are willfully ignorant; CF is all of that and has recieved a light rinse by conservative media (a full brain wash was not necessary, given his gray matter was totally white)

First, give this a shot http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/125346-the-imaginary-greatness-of-fdr.html#post2521733

Second, Reagan was President, not a dictator. He needed to get his legislation through a hostile, anti-American, Democrat controlled Congress who lied to him repeatedly about agreeing to spending cuts in exchange for Reagan signing off on their tax increases.

Dems lied to Reagan (yeah, big shock)

Before I knew which end was up, I too let my teachers lie to me about the "Greatness" of FDR and the host of other lies Progressives need to tell on a 24/7 basis.

Now that I can get the data for myself, I cannot and will not allow Progressives to continue to Gobbelize American history with their Big Lies.

FDR sucked and gave us 8 years of misery while Reagan's cut taxes and gladly handed the economy back over to American entrepreneurs.

Insult me, call me crazy, call me whatever the fuck you want; at the end of the day you lie and I'm calling you on it.

Here's the FDR data set, what year did the "Greatness" start?

FDR's unemployment 1933: 24.9, 1934: 21.7%, 1935: 20.1%, 1936: 16.9%, 1937: 14.3%, 1938: 19.0%, 1939: 17.2%

Last edited:
Before I knew which end was up, I too let my teachers lie to me about the "Greatness" of FDR and the host of other lies Progressives need to tell on a 24/7 basis.

Now that I can get the data for myself, I cannot and will not allow Progressives to continue to Gobbelize American history with their Big Lies.

FDR sucked and gave us 8 years of misery while Reagan's cut taxes and gladly handed the economy back over to American entrepreneurs.

Insult me, call me crazy, call me whatever the fuck you want; at the end of the day you lie and I'm calling you on it.

FDR's unemployment 1933: 24.9, 1934: 21.7%, 1935: 20.1%, 1936: 16.9%, 1937: 14.3%, 1938: 19.0%, 1939: 17.2%

I agree that FDR wasnt the demigod that some claim. But your being intellectually dishonest, historically inept or both.

I agree that FDR wasnt the demigod that some claim. But your being intellectually dishonest, historically inept or both.

What the fuck is so hard about this that I haven't gotten a single answer in the month I've been asking it?

What year did the "Greatness" start?

Why is it impossible to get an answer, are you THAT brain washed?

See, it's magic, I made Wry disappear.

Wrong again CF. I actually have a life and enjoy activities other than laughing at RW morons - though reading your idiotgrams is very entertaining.
Wife made a deep dish pizza and my sons were here to eat and watch the Giants sweep the Dodgers.
Now it's time to have some strawberrys and a cup of de-caf Italian Roast.

See, it's magic, I made Wry disappear.

Wrong again CF. I actually have a life and enjoy activities other than laughing at RW morons - though reading your idiotgrams is very entertaining.
Wife made a deep dish pizza and my sons were here to eat and watch the Giants sweep the Dodgers.
Now it's time to have some strawberrys and a cup of de-caf Italian Roast.

Yeah, I've been asking it for at least 2 weeks now.

If Reagan were as "Great" as FDR these would be the unemployment numbers

1982: 24.1%, 1983: 24.9, 1984: 21.7%, 1985: 20.1%, 1986: 16.9%, 1987: 14.3%, 1988: 19.0%

Frightening, no?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you post nothing but partisan hacks crap from others.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you post nothing but partisan hacks crap from others.

Are you the Liberal Intellectual Elite?

All I've done is post the data set and ask a question.

You posted a link to some right wing hack crap

FDR US Unemployment 1932: 24.1%, 1933: 24.9, 1934: 21.7%, 1935: 20.1%, 1936: 16.9%, 1937: 14.3%, 1938: 19.0%, 1939: 17.2%. 8 year Average = 19.8%

This is what you posted and the funny thing is FDR took office in 1933

Last edited:

FDR US Unemployment 1932: 24.1%, 1933: 24.9, 1934: 21.7%, 1935: 20.1%, 1936: 16.9%, 1937: 14.3%, 1938: 19.0%, 1939: 17.2%. 8 year Average = 19.8%

We're discussing the Great Depression. I'm trying to figure out when FDR's Greatness kicked in.

Can you point it out to me?

I didn't link anything, Sally Swallows. That's my original work

The Bible states, money is the root of all evil,

I do not need to read any further. If you can't get this right everything else is probably wrong.

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

1 Tim 6:10

Forum List

Back