Reagan and Bush responsible for 90% of National Debt

You are aware that the Democrats that controlled congress under Reagan are responsible for the budget. Reagan submitted his Budget every Year and the democrats created a Budget with a huge amount over what Reagan requested. They, the democrats, in fact announced that if Reagan was going to raise defense spending they were going to raise social spending even higher.

But hey don't let simple facts get in the way of a good lie.

Tax cut and spend has bankrupted America.....

ReaganBushDebt.org

Yep all Reagan's fault for out of this world defecits.
AllPolitics - Surprise! Congress Overrides A Reagan Veto - September 20, 1982
When the ayes and the nays were totted up, it appeared at first to be a devastating defeat for Ronald Reagan. Both the House of Representatives and the Senate voted to override the President's veto last month of a $ 14.2 billion supplemental spending bill. It marked the first time that Congress had overturned a Reagan veto of an economic measure, * and it did so in impressive numbers: the vote in the House was 301 to 117 -- 22 more than the two-thirds needed for an override; in the Republican-controlled Senate the tally was 60 to 30, exactly the required margin. But if the rebuke was supposed to sting, the White House appeared surprisingly unruffled. "We're going to have a lot more chances, 'cause I'm going to do a lot more vetoing." said a feisty Reagan as he campaigned for Republican candidates in Utah last Friday. " Any time there is an attempt to bust the budget, I will veto."

Thirty years of republican rule has had its impact. Used to be called trickle down, then supply side, some rightly called it voodoo economics but its effect has been detrimental. We now match third world nations in healthcare and the separation of rich and poor. Call it greed, call it stupidity, some still buy into it as they sink further away from middle class status.

A vote for John McCain is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

"There is no historical evidence that tax cuts spur economic growth. The highest period of growth in U.S. history (1933-1973) also saw its highest tax rates on the rich: 70 to 91 percent. During this period, the general tax rate climbed as well, but it reached a plateau in 1969, and growth slowed down five years later. Almost all rich nations have higher general taxes than the U.S., and they are growing faster as well."

Tax cuts spur economic growth

Thirty years of republican rule has had its impact. Used to be called trickle down, then supply side, some rightly called it voodoo economics but its effect has been detrimental. We now match third world nations in healthcare and the separation of rich and poor. Call it greed, call it stupidity, some still buy into it as they sink further away from middle class status.

A vote for John McCain is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

"There is no historical evidence that tax cuts spur economic growth. The highest period of growth in U.S. history (1933-1973) also saw its highest tax rates on the rich: 70 to 91 percent. During this period, the general tax rate climbed as well, but it reached a plateau in 1969, and growth slowed down five years later. Almost all rich nations have higher general taxes than the U.S., and they are growing faster as well."

Democrats controlled congress for the majority of those thirty years. Also, bestowed upon us the entitlement programs(Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid) which grows at an automatic rate increase of about 8 percent a year, by far outgrowing the economy. While the demographic in our nation gets older and there are fewer contributors to these programs. Is there any wonder why we have defecits?

Last edited:
Yeah, people do understand that Congress controls the purse strings right?

Democrats controlled congress for the majority of those thirty years. Also, bestowed upon us the entitlement programs(Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid) which grows at an automatic rate increase of about 8 percent a year, by far outgrowing the economy. While the demographic in our nation gets older and there are fewer contributors to these programs. Is there any wonder why we have defecits?

Congress was controlled by the dems from 1952 until 1994 with 2 2 year periods of republican control in the senate. The money bills all come from the House.

I like how if Bill Clinton is President and a republican congress creates a surplus he gets credit for it though.

While I certainly won't deny that the Repubicans spend and cut taxes policies have increased the national debt even worse than the Dems had when they held the reins of power, one must understand that this problem is the not the result of one or two errant POTUSs. but rather of the entire elite class which made, make and will continue to make the policies which drive our nation into debt.

Those people benefit fromt hat debt, understand? That is the TRUE Source of their power.

And while the argument can and has been made that the PEOPLE elect our leaders, I dismiss such simplistic arguments because the PEOPLE DO NOT REALLY get to decide between potential leaders with any REAL difference.

When it comes to issues of macroeconomics, there is ONE PARTY, folks -- the MONIED PARTY

Politics is a shadowpuppet theater meant to amuse and stupify the public into thinking they have some measure of control over their lives and tyhe course the nation will take.

And it works, too ~ lordie lou! ~ does it ever.

As sampling of the partisan nonsense on this board, our collective rush to create heros or villians of the parties (and the people who support them) leads me to think that most people BELIEVE that the shadow pupperty of liberal V conservative politics explains it all.

Obviously, I think that simplistic world view is highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Where's that rolling on the floor laughing my ass of so hard I'm dying of a heart attack emoticon when one needs it?:eusa_eh:

Yes. The same thing happened in Virginia where I live. The Republican governor cut taxes and created a $1 billion dollar deficit. Mark Warner was elected governor, and he balanced the budget and became the most popular governor in Virginia's history. Now he will be elected to the Senate in November.

The funny thing is that the Republicans used to be the party of fiscal responsibility, and they have abandoned their principles for tax cut and spend.

Yes. The same thing happened in Virginia where I live. The Republican governor cut taxes and created a $1 billion dollar deficit. Mark Warner was elected governor, and he balanced the budget and became the most popular governor in Virginia's history. Now he will be elected to the Senate in November.

The funny thing is that the Republicans used to be the party of fiscal responsibility, and they have abandoned their principles for tax cut and spend.

How's Democrat governor Tim Kaine doing?
The Commonwealth Iconoclast: VIRGINIA STATE BUDGET CRISIS
Governor gets tough on out of control spending... maybe.

Drastic times call for big sacrifices.

But seriously...

Sometimes you just got to laugh.

Either that or cry. Sometimes I am not sure.

Yesterday's Richmond Times Dispatch heralded the headlines"Governor's plan includes 74 layoffs" and then goes on to explain that there will be other measures as well, including keeping 386 job positions vacant, and as a show of personal sacrifice a 5 percent cut in the Governor's own personal pay check.

I like Governor Kaine, and that is real big of him to take a personal 5 percent pay cut. But....

We got problems, big problems right here in "River City" ... that being in our beautiful State Capital of Richmond on the James.

The new budget totals $74 BILLION. That is Billion with a big B. There is an estimated $641 million shortfall.
To balance the budget, the Governor's plan calls for $300 million in actual cuts, and possibly another $303 million from the so called State rainy-day fund (that meaning emergency fund).

All I can say is WOW!!!

Your an idiot you know that right?

I love how you liberals like to forget that for most of his time in office, Reagan was fighting the spending ways of a DEMOCRAT congress.

"Your an idiot you know that right?"

Maybe so, but I know the difference between "you're" and "your."

I love how you liberals like to forget that for most of his time in office, Reagan was fighting the spending ways of a DEMOCRAT congress.

I love how Republicans forget that Reagan cut taxes and increased defense spending by 20% and created a huge deficit.

"Your an idiot you know that right?"

Maybe so, but I know the difference between "you're" and "your."

Apparently you don't know the difference between "your." and "your". though.

I love how Republicans forget that Reagan cut taxes and increased defense spending by 20% and created a huge deficit.

I love how liberal know it all assholes like to assume I am a republican, Go check my other post man, I am not voting for McCant!

The total amount of tax revenues the government brought in actually went up; however there is no amount of tax money that the government cannot find a way to spend. And of course that's exactly what Reagan and the congress did.

Last edited:

We've been over this before. Taxes are a lot more complicated than "welp, the rate was X%". There are deductions and loopholes and such. The bottom line is, "how much wealth does government suck from the economy?"--and of course, it was a considerably smaller percentage of the economy, back then.

Also, I don't know why you'd make 1933- as the starting date. Taxes were high, spending was high, and it did nothing to lift the economy out of depression. And choosing 1973 as the closing date is funny because it leaves out the stagflation of the 70's. The absurdly high tax rates on upper incomes didn't get cut until the 1980's.

And finally, you copy/pasted the John McCain quote here, again. Even though it has nothing to do with the topic. It's a statement that I agree with of course, but you yourself obviously don't believe in leaving people alone to live their lives, so...what gives?

Last edited:

Once again you dumb shit the Democratic Congress created the deficit. Not a single Budget Reagan presented was passed, the Democrats laid in Billions more on every one.

Forum List

Back