Reagan and Bush responsible for 90% of National Debt

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Chris, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
  2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    The details of all is underwhelming, but carry on. Did you know that GW is not in the election this year?

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    You are aware that the Democrats that controlled congress under Reagan are responsible for the budget. Reagan submitted his Budget every Year and the democrats created a Budget with a huge amount over what Reagan requested. They, the democrats, in fact announced that if Reagan was going to raise defense spending they were going to raise social spending even higher.

But hey don't let simple facts get in the way of a good lie.

4. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Yep all Reagan's fault for out of this world defecits.
    AllPolitics - Surprise! Congress Overrides A Reagan Veto - September 20, 1982
    When the ayes and the nays were totted up, it appeared at first to be a devastating defeat for Ronald Reagan. Both the House of Representatives and the Senate voted to override the President's veto last month of a $ 14.2 billion supplemental spending bill. It marked the first time that Congress had overturned a Reagan veto of an economic measure, * and it did so in impressive numbers: the vote in the House was 301 to 117 -- 22 more than the two-thirds needed for an override; in the Republican-controlled Senate the tally was 60 to 30, exactly the required margin. But if the rebuke was supposed to sting, the White House appeared surprisingly unruffled. "We're going to have a lot more chances, 'cause I'm going to do a lot more vetoing." said a feisty Reagan as he campaigned for Republican candidates in Utah last Friday. " Any time there is an attempt to bust the budget, I will veto."

5. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    Thirty years of republican rule has had its impact. Used to be called trickle down, then supply side, some rightly called it voodoo economics but its effect has been detrimental. We now match third world nations in healthcare and the separation of rich and poor. Call it greed, call it stupidity, some still buy into it as they sink further away from middle class status.

A vote for John McCain is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

"There is no historical evidence that tax cuts spur economic growth. The highest period of growth in U.S. history (1933-1973) also saw its highest tax rates on the rich: 70 to 91 percent. During this period, the general tax rate climbed as well, but it reached a plateau in 1969, and growth slowed down five years later. Almost all rich nations have higher general taxes than the U.S., and they are growing faster as well."

Tax cuts spur economic growth

6. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Democrats controlled congress for the majority of those thirty years. Also, bestowed upon us the entitlement programs(Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid) which grows at an automatic rate increase of about 8 percent a year, by far outgrowing the economy. While the demographic in our nation gets older and there are fewer contributors to these programs. Is there any wonder why we have defecits?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  7. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Yeah, people do understand that Congress controls the purse strings right?

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    Congress was controlled by the dems from 1952 until 1994 with 2 2 year periods of republican control in the senate. The money bills all come from the House.

I like how if Bill Clinton is President and a republican congress creates a surplus he gets credit for it though.

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    While I certainly won't deny that the Repubicans spend and cut taxes policies have increased the national debt even worse than the Dems had when they held the reins of power, one must understand that this problem is the not the result of one or two errant POTUSs. but rather of the entire elite class which made, make and will continue to make the policies which drive our nation into debt.

Those people benefit fromt hat debt, understand? That is the TRUE Source of their power.

And while the argument can and has been made that the PEOPLE elect our leaders, I dismiss such simplistic arguments because the PEOPLE DO NOT REALLY get to decide between potential leaders with any REAL difference.

When it comes to issues of macroeconomics, there is ONE PARTY, folks -- the MONIED PARTY

Politics is a shadowpuppet theater meant to amuse and stupify the public into thinking they have some measure of control over their lives and tyhe course the nation will take.

And it works, too ~ lordie lou! ~ does it ever.

As sampling of the partisan nonsense on this board, our collective rush to create heros or villians of the parties (and the people who support them) leads me to think that most people BELIEVE that the shadow pupperty of liberal V conservative politics explains it all.

Obviously, I think that simplistic world view is highly unlikely.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Where's that rolling on the floor laughing my ass of so hard I'm dying of a heart attack emoticon when one needs it?:eusa_eh: