Reading that opens the mind - Books

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by midcan5, Aug 15, 2009.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,116
    I used to do a summer reading list, but forgot till now.

Finished 'Suttree,' Cormac McCarthy; 'Mortality,' Christopher Hitchens; re-read 'The Fall,' Camus, and just finished 'Stoner,' by John Williams. If you read anything this summer read 'Stoner,' it covers human nature simply but profoundly. People living life. One of those books you can't put down. Suttree on the other hand can lose you in words. Even though we forget about death, it's always there. Hitchens was such a great voice.

And this for the readers.

Does Reading Literature Make You More Moral? | Boston Review

"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." Haruki Murakami

2. Mustang

Mustang Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
    Ratings:
    +2,103
    I read "Stoner" early last year. Absolutely a phenomenal book. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's only 278 pages, and it's well worth anyone's time.

[​IMG]
    Stoner

3. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,116
    'What Book Changed Your Mind?'

For myself it was Dostoevsky's novels, Camus, Sartre, Thomas Wolfe, lots more, and in non-fiction, Albert Hirschman 'The Rhetoric of Reaction,' Peter Watson's Ideas, Parfit, Reasons and Persons, Peter Singer, Martin Gardner, Wittgenstein and on and on.... Article linked below.

Sometimes book confirm your suspicions but they do so brilliantly.

'Invisible Hands: The Businessmen's Crusade Against the New Deal' Kim Phillips-Fein
    'Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming' Naomi Oreskes, Erik M. M. Conway
    'Voltaire's Bastards: The Dictatorship of Reason in the West' by John Ralston Saul

Read recently and worth your time.

'The Betrayal of the American Dream Hardcover' Donald L. Barlett, James B. Steele
    'A History of Civilizations' Fernand Braudel
    'The Pony Fish's Glow: And Other Clues to Plan and Purpose in Nature' George C. Williams

A few look interesting and about topics that fascinate me.

What Book Changed Your Mind - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education

4. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,116
    "Books had instant replay long before televised sports." Bernard Williams

Summer reading for the informed reader. The ISIS book should have a diagram of connections, what a tangled web the ME is. I like Crawford's view of working with one's hands. Something I still love. The prophets are the new rich and just as off base as the old rich. James Wood's words are worth an afternoon. And fiction as James writes may be the nearest thing to life. Enjoy.

'The New Prophets of Capital' by Nicole Aschoff

'ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror' by Michael Weiss and Hassan Hassan

'The Nearest Thing to Life (The Mandel Lectures in the Humanities)' by James Wood

'The World Beyond Your Head: On Becoming an Individual in an Age of Distraction' by Matthew B. Crawford

Fiction: 'Crow Fair: Stories' by Thomas McGuane and all of Cormac McCarthy

'My Struggle: Book 1' by Karl Ove Knausgaard and Don Bartlett ( odd but interesting too)

oldies but goodies

'The Rhetoric of Reaction: Perversity, Futility, Jeopardy' Albert O. Hirschman
    'Invisible Hands: The Businessmen's Crusade Against the New Deal' Kim Phillips-Fein
    'Voltaire's Bastards: The Dictatorship of Reason in the West' by John Ralston Saul
    'A History of Civilizations' Fernand Braudel
    'The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark' Carl Sagan
    'Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming' Naomi Oreskes, Erik M. M. Conway
    'The Reactionary Mind: Conservatism from Edmund Burke to Sarah Palin' Corey Robin

5. 2aguy

2aguy Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,561
    " The Law" by Friedrich Basitate

"The Road to Serfdom" by Friedrich Hayek

"Destructive Generation" by David Horowitz

"Visions of the Anointed" By Thomas Sowell

"Who Stole Feminism" Christina Hoff Summers...

"The Black Book of Communism"

"Animal Farm" George Orwell

"Vindicating the Founders"

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,116
  7. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,156
    Thank you, an interesting read. I read "The Stranger" first in a Freshman Humanities course and next in an upper division Philosophy course (Existentialism). I've read both the Myth of Sisyphus and The Rebel (in parts) several times and each time another beam of light opens my eyes to the genius of Camus' intuition.

8. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,116
    I have often wondered how Jimmy Carter would have governed had he won the second time? Reading 'Liberty Under Siege: American Politics, 1976-1988' by Walter Karp reminded me of how a president often has to fight his own party to accomplish anything. Oligarchy fights against change and Carter an outsider wasn't strong enough to fight power. This was the beginning of money controlling Congress through lobbying and election requirements.

One of the best books I've read this past year was how racism mutated into a tool used to cut off your nose.... or get elected....

At bottom is a book on mass murder I have not read it yet. This topic is interesting but so difficult to comprehend. Read 'Columbine' by Dave Cullen if the topic and all its complexity interests you.

'Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class' by Ian Haney López

'It's Even Worse Than It Looks: How the American Constitutional System Collided With the New Politics of Extremism' by Thomas E. Mann, Norman J. Ornstein

'What Terrorists Want: Understanding the Enemy, Containing the Threat' by Louise Richardson

'Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free' by Charles P. Pierce

'Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming' by Naomi Oreskes, Erik M. M. Conway

More history worth a look:
    'American High: The Years of Confidence, 1945-1960' by William L. O'Neill
    'A Bubble in Time: America During the Interwar Years, 1989-2001' by William L. O'Neill
    Coming Apart: An Informal History of America in the 1960s' by William L. O'Neill

'One of Us: The Story of Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway' By Asne Seierstad. Translated by Sarah Death.

In Fiction this looks interesting? 'The Door' By Magda Szabo. Translated by Len Rix.

"Books had instant replay long before televised sports." Bernard Williams

9. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,116