Reading Social Media as a Teacher

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
Like so many in the Upper Midwest, we've had a LOT of snow and cold days lately. Here are my favorite mix of comments from the usual suspects in my hometown:

"These teachers have it so easy all the time, their job isn't so hard...."

One day later:

"OH NO another snow day my kids are driving me CRAZY why can't they go to school!?!? The roads are fine!! What am I going to do with my kids for ANOTHER day!?!?"

They never, ever, EVER see the irony between the first statement and the last. It makes me laugh. OH, the public. And hey, public. You enjoy that teacher shortage now. :5_1_12024:

So you are saying you are a glorified baby sitter? Some teachers do a lot, but your post isn't really making your case.

So you are saying you are a glorified baby sitter? Some teachers do a lot, but your post isn't really making your case.

I'm saying these parents can't stand to even be home with their own kids, let alone 25-30 kids, let alone be responsible for TEACHING them anything. Yet these are always, without fail, the same parents who complain up a storm that teachers make WAY too much money and have WAY too much time off.

Okay, like I said. Enjoy the teacher shortage that's coming when the teachers you have really are incapable of teaching your children a darn thing. That's next.

I'm saying these parents can't stand to even be home with their own kids, let alone 25-30 kids, let alone be responsible for TEACHING them anything. Yet these are always, without fail, the same parents who complain up a storm that teachers make WAY too much money and have WAY too much time off.

Okay, like I said. Enjoy the teacher shortage that's coming when the teachers you have really are incapable of teaching your children a darn thing. That's next.

I think the only issue with having the kids home is if they aren't old enough to be alone and the parents need to work and it's short notice. There are no normal parents that can't handle being home with their own kids or at least not having them in school. They manage to do it the other 180 days of the year they aren't in school.

I think the only issue with having the kids home is if they aren't old enough to be alone and the parents need to work and it's short notice. There are no normal parents that can't handle being home with their own kids or at least not having them in school. They manage to do it the other 180 days of the year they aren't in school.

Well I'm reading what I'm reading: "the kids are driving me crazy" is what more than a few of them are saying. And you're not taking into account the parents who work in the summer too, so who are not actually with their kids. They have them with babysitters or at summer camps.

Look, they can do what they want, but as I say. These are usually the same parents who think teachers aren't worth a dime but don't want to be home with their OWN 2-3 kids for a few days in a row. But then, of course, our jobs are a breeze, being with many kids and teaching them. Yep, figure that out.

(To be fair these are most often the kinds of people who are just discontented with everything. Sad, but very true, and it seems to be a plague in our society.)

Like so many in the Upper Midwest, we've had a LOT of snow and cold days lately. Here are my favorite mix of comments from the usual suspects in my hometown:

One day later:

"OH NO another snow day my kids are driving me CRAZY why can't they go to school!?!? The roads are fine!! What am I going to do with my kids for ANOTHER day!?!?"

They never, ever, EVER see the irony between the first statement and the last. It makes me laugh. OH, the public. And hey, public. You enjoy that teacher shortage now. :5_1_12024:
Do yourself a favor, avoid unsocial media.

One day later:

Not a bad idea. To be fair, there are a good number of parents who see the wisdom in these snow days too, and don't mind being home, and appreciate teachers. It's just ironic that the ones who don't also usually don't want to be with their kids. Sigh

One day later:

Not a bad idea. To be fair, there are a good number of parents who see the wisdom in these snow days too, and don't mind being home, and appreciate teachers. It's just ironic that the ones who don't also usually don't want to be with their kids. Sigh
Oh sure, I get that. But that's the society we inhabit now. Wasn't tall that long ago, within many of our lifetimes, that a family could have a good life, take a vacation a year and get kids through college on one full time income or one full time income plus a part time income. We did away with that in america. And families began outsourcing the rearing of their children and care of their elders to chase "a living".

Exactly. Folks that work with no one to watch the kids. A day you can take off. Multiple is harder.

Exactly. Folks that work with no one to watch the kids. A day you can take off. Multiple is harder.
Maybe we have set up our economic system in a way that does not support our "family values" rhetoric. Hey, choose between your kid and your job.

New Topics

Forum List

Back