CDZ Reading Comprehension. What Does This Mean To You?

What is the point to this article based on the title and beginning of the article?

• Black people are uninterested in analytics when discussing sports

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Black people are talking about discrimination.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2013
Breathing rarified air.
Mission Impossible: African-Americans & analytics

Why blacks are not feeling the sports metrics movement

"The mission was to find black folks who spend anytime talking about advanced analytics, whose conversations are framed by — or even casually include references to — win shares or effective shooting percentage, WHIP (walks and hits per inning pitched) or points per 100 possessions. It’s a failed mission so far. Totally empty. Conclusion: Advanced analytics and black folks hardly ever mix. Set aside the tiny handful of black men who make a living somewhere in the sports industry dealing directly with the numbers and there is absolutely zero mingling."

I was responding to a thread and the OP had one interpretation of the article and I had a totally different one. To say I was completely amazed at his interpretation is putting it mildly.

"The mission was to find black folks who spend anytime talking about advanced analytics, whose conversations are framed by — or even casually include references to — win shares or effective shooting percentage, WHIP (walks and hits per inning pitched) or points per 100 possessions. It’s a failed mission so far. Totally empty. Conclusion: Advanced analytics and black folks hardly ever mix. Set aside the tiny handful of black men who make a living somewhere in the sports industry dealing directly with the numbers and there is absolutely zero mingling."

I was responding to a thread and the OP had one interpretation of the article and I had a totally different one. To say I was completely amazed at his interpretation is putting it mildly.
Wonder how Wilbon felt when Tanner Mangum heaved that TD pass against Nebraska with only 5 seconds left

Jeez, people who spend their whole time talking about sports statistics clearly don't have much of a life. How many white people do this? This is hardly a decent scientific survey.

I have found that black folks are more aware of what is REALLY going on than white people...by far and away. They know about the Illuminati and the hidden hand that guides this corporate entity that tries to pass itself off as a legitimate governmental body. They are very intelligent and I have found that they have a very deep spiritual side to them. They are, collectively speaking, more genuine than white people are and that is why I feel such a kinship with them.

Most people don't question. They never ask why.

i remember the Trigglypuff of my youth told me to stop analysing.

probably the best advice i ever got but no way i was going to do what was put in front of me without questioning. So i spurned her advice. She didnt give it to me, but for her. But still..

Jeez, people who spend their whole time talking about sports statistics clearly don't have much of a life. How many white people do this? This is hardly a decent scientific survey.
Did you answer the poll?

Did you answer the poll?

Nah, doesn't seem much point.

Did you answer the poll?

The point is to pick between the two interpretations to find the one that matches what the article is talking about. For example do you think the article is claiming discrimination or is it talking about habits among Black people talking about sports?

Did you answer the poll?

The point is to pick between the two interpretations to find the one that matches what the article is talking about. For example do you think the article is claiming discrimination or is it talking about habits among Black people talking about sports?

Okay, good.

I'd say it's both. Because this isn't how blacks relate to sports,
then it ends up excluding them indirectly if the emphasis is put on this approach.

I kind of got a 3rd impression, that he is implying that black people are too ignorant to understand why or how to analyze statistics.

I have found that black folks are more aware of what is REALLY going on than white people...by far and away. They know about the Illuminati and the hidden hand that guides this corporate entity that tries to pass itself off as a legitimate governmental body. They are very intelligent and I have found that they have a very deep spiritual side to them. They are, collectively speaking, more genuine than white people are and that is why I feel such a kinship with them.
I'm president pro-tem of the Illuminati and no black person has ever contacted me. Especially here in burley.

then it ends up excluding them indirectly if the emphasis is put on this approach.
Did you find both in the article, or is one an example of bias of the reader?

I kind of got a 3rd impression, that he is implying that black people are too ignorant to understand why or how to analyze statistics.
I did not find anywhere in the quote posted by the OP that implied black people are too ignorant to understand. The article was stating an observation without addressing why the observation is true.

Why do you think its both? The possible end result doesnt mean he is complaining about racism.

I agreed with Wilbon. I dont and I have never heard other Blacks talk about analytics when discussing sports.

What in the article led you to that conclusion?
To even look into such a "phenomena" to begin with seems peculiar .....and that was clue 1, and then to care enough to report on it, probably bad judgment and then 3 to suggest we should believe such an anecdotal story about/across an entire race is stupid on its face.

in short, "hes reaching, bro."

What in the article led you to that conclusion?
To even look into such a "phenomena" to begin with seems peculiar .....and that was clue 1, and then to care enough to report on it, probably bad judgment and then 3 to suggest we should believe such an anecdotal story about/across an entire race is stupid on its face.

in short, "hes reaching, bro."
Even if that were true thats really just a reflection on him. What I am asking is what in the article led you to believe he was questioning the intelligence of Black people? I got the impression you've hung around Black people. Have you ever known any them to be interested in the advanced analytics of say basketball? I know for sure I havent.

Forum List

Back