Read the Gettysburg address and pay more taxes.

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
After reading the Gettysburg Address, does the idea of a carbon tax to finally move us away from an oil and old-energy dependence that is fouling not only the Gulf of Mexico but our entire climate, foreign policy, and economy seem so outrageous? Given the accomplishments of our global competitors, surely it makes sense to consider longer school days and school years. Don't the concerns voiced by those who would have to sacrifice somewhat—whether teachers, parents, or students—to accommodate this national imperative seem somewhat less compelling after reading the Gettysburg Address?

Americans have lost their commitment to shared sacrifice. The Gettysburg Address can help them recover it. - By Eliot Spitzer - Slate Magazine

Poor analogy regardless of what side you are on....

It has NOTHING to do with what Lincoln was talking about

After reading the Gettysburg Address, does the idea of a carbon tax to finally move us away from an oil and old-energy dependence that is fouling not only the Gulf of Mexico but our entire climate, foreign policy, and economy seem so outrageous? Given the accomplishments of our global competitors, surely it makes sense to consider longer school days and school years. Don't the concerns voiced by those who would have to sacrifice somewhat—whether teachers, parents, or students—to accommodate this national imperative seem somewhat less compelling after reading the Gettysburg Address?

Americans have lost their commitment to shared sacrifice. The Gettysburg Address can help them recover it. - By Eliot Spitzer - Slate Magazine

When Al Gore has a smaller carbon foot print then I do, then I will be willing to pay a carbon tax.

I don't know the detail of Spitzer's sex life, not having a prurient interest in sex as does The Infidel, so Infidels point excapes me. The point made by the OP is a good one, the RW has made avarice no longer one of the seven deadly sins, in fact they celebrate it.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived, and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met here on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of it as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But in a larger sense we can not dedicate - we can not consecrate - we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled, here, have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but can never forget what they did here.

It is for us, the living, rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they have, thus far, so nobly carried on. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us - that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Nuff said?

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived, and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met here on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of it as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But in a larger sense we can not dedicate - we can not consecrate - we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled, here, have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but can never forget what they did here.

It is for us, the living, rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they have, thus far, so nobly carried on. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us - that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Nuff said?

Yeah.. you're a douche... AGAIN. Please point out the sections that speaks to higher taxes and hydrocarbons?

Oh... GOD.... this oughtta be good.

Last edited:
Everyone, bookmark this thread:

I predict that Elliot Spitzer will re-emerge into NY State politics within the next 4 years. And he'll win. He might even become governor again, but I think Senate or State Legislature is more likely.

I predict that Elliot Spitzer will re-emerge into NY State politics within the next 4 years. And he'll win. He might even become governor again, but I think Senate or State Legislature is more likely.

I absolutely agree. He is positioning himself for another run after a period in exile.
I went to high school with Spitzer, who was about 4-5 years ahead of me. He was a slimy little weasel back then and I'm glad to see he hasn't changed much since.

I absolutely agree. He is positioning himself for another run after a period in exile.
I went to high school with Spitzer, who was about 4-5 years ahead of me. He was a slimy little weasel back then and I'm glad to see he hasn't changed much since.

Well, it's good to see there's at least one thing we agree on. How about Beer? I like beer. Do you? Scotch? I love scotch.

Well, it's good to see there's at least one thing we agree on. How about Beer? I like beer. Do you? Scotch? I love scotch.

Love beer. The only scotch I like is Laphroig. I'm more of a bourbon guy myself.

I hate to think you are right, but you probably are.

Forum List

Back