Reaction to Bush's State of the Union from Around the USA

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,146238,00.html

Following his State of the Union (search) address, President Bush was to sell his agenda during a two-day swing through Nebraska, North Dakota, Montana, Arkansas and Florida. Here is a sampling of reaction in those states.

NEBRASKA

When President Bush (search) comes to Omaha on Friday, Sheldon Skovgaard plans to attend his rally and cheer. Dan Seaman plans to be on the street outside protesting.

The political opposites came together along with 10 other Creighton University students Wednesday night to watch Bush's State of the Union address.

Skovgaard, vice president of the College Republicans, said he was most interested in Social Security reform: "I don't know a single person my age who has confidence in the Social Security (search) system the way it is today."

He said he liked Bush's proposed private investment accounts and the comparison of them to the Thrift Savings plan. Skovgaard, a 20-year-old philosophy major, is in his third year in the Army Reserves.

"As a soldier I pay into that Thrift plan, and I can mix stocks and bonds, and I can get up to 6 or 8 percent return," Skovgaard said. "That's going to be a big selling point to a lot of people."

Seaman, a 21-year-old Democrat from Rapid City, S.D., voted for John Kerry and said he had low expectations for Bush's speech. "I heard what I expected," Seaman said. "I'm not sold on his domestic agenda."

The philosophy major said he didn't form an opinion on Social Security reform. He said he thinks more research should be done on projections regarding Social Security's demise.

"This stuff makes me leery," he said.

ARKANSAS

Bradford Scruggs, 32, who voted for Bush, sipped a draft beer at a Mexican restaurant in Little Rock as he waited for his take-out food and watched the speech on a TV above the bar.

"I'm not a fan of Bush, but I voted for him," said Scruggs, who said he turned conservative after spending his college years as a staunch liberal.

The owner of a small business said he's worried about baby boomers draining Social Security and liked what Bush had to say about privatizing the system.

"It's a 20th century idea and it can't go into the next century," Scruggs said. "We have to change it. It has to be partially privatized because regardless of who is in power it's going to run out of money."

FLORIDA

At a suburban Miami retirement home, much of the focus of the president's speech was on two words: Social Security.

For retired accountant Amelia Martin, the system demands reforms. But to Harry Hill, a retired federal government worker, Bush's proposed reforms spell trouble.

Martin, 84, said she worried that "a lot of people who are not responsible" would have trouble with voluntary personal accounts for younger workers.

"Now, how its going to be handled, that is something that has to be worked out," Martin said.

Hill, on the other hand, wasn't convinced. "This Social Security thing is a total disaster," he said. "Anyone who signs up for it is a fool."

Florida has more than 3.3 million Social Security beneficiaries and five of the state's congressional delegation represent the nation's highest concentration of recipients.

When asked if they were pleased that their benefits wouldn't be cut, as might those of people age 55 and younger, the retirees in their late 70s and 80s offered a resounding "No."

"We all have children who are under 55," said Hill, 84.

NORTH DAKOTA

Free pizza and soda helped attract about 75 students to a North Dakota State University TV room for the speech.

Melissa Mallett, 20, president of the College Republicans, listened and hoped to snag one of 25 tickets that were being raffled off for Bush's appearance scheduled on campus Thursday.

"If something isn't done about Social Security, we're going to be stuck with nothing," said Mallett. "My parents will be turning to me for money, kind of like what I do to them now."

The president of the College Democrats, Robert Blaufuss, watched the speech with friends at a dorm room. Though he was impressed with Bush's speaking skills, there was little in the address that impressed him.

"There weren't a lot of issues that I got worked up about, but I think his plan on Social Security is a bad idea," Blaufuss said. "What if you're ready to retire when the market is suffering through a low point?"

MONTANA

Paul Whiting, 67, took notes during the speech from his home in Billings.

He couldn't hide his reaction. "I really don't trust him," the semi-retired photographer said about Bush. He has voted for Democrats and lately some independents. He did not vote for Bush.

One of his biggest worries is foreign policy. Whiting is a peace advocate, who participated in local vigils leading up to the war in Iraq and said he'd like to see the United States adjust its foreign policy.

"I think we're working on a posture of fear and isolationism," he said. "I think we really have to examine why our policies generate so much hostility around the world."

MONTANA

Paul Whiting, 67, took notes during the speech from his home in Billings.

He couldn't hide his reaction. "I really don't trust him," the semi-retired photographer said about Bush. He has voted for Democrats and lately some independents. He did not vote for Bush.

One of his biggest worries is foreign policy. Whiting is a peace advocate, who participated in local vigils leading up to the war in Iraq and said he'd like to see the United States adjust its foreign policy.

"I think we're working on a posture of fear and isolationism," he said. "I think we really have to examine why our policies generate so much hostility around the world."

Doesn't this just exemplify liberal logic? Think about it. By helping oppressed nations become liberated rather than appeasing dictators and living in fear we are working on a posture of fear and isolationism. Does that make any sense?

We are being isolationist by going out in the world and making change?

We are living in fear by standing up for whats right and facing the future with courage rather than letting dictators have whatever they want if they promise to leave us alone.

Its mind-boggling.

Forum List

Back