RE: More suspicionless checkpoints in the USA...

If a Cop has no reasonable suspicion he/she can't search your car. It's that simple. At one of these checkpoints when the Cop asks you if he can search your car you can say "no".

If he has no reasonable suspicion and you are in fact not guilty of anything, politely cooperate with the Officer. When they are done not finding anything, get all the participating officers names and contact the nearest Attorney you can find.

You'll soon be very rich. Please do some research about 4th Amendment Searches and educate yourselves.

The loophole they use is that they can state that the dog they are usually running around the cars that are stopped at the checkpoint "alerted" on your vehicle and you can't contest this so called "alert".

Then they probable cause to order you out of the vehicle and conduct a search.

& This is what happens to you when you refuse to comply with their loophole...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVMZUgmrJrk]YouTube - ACTUAL FOOTAGE Pastor Beaten Tased by Border Patrol DPS (Alex Jones) GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME[/ame]

big fucking deal. There will always be overzealous people in LE

Assuming everything described in the letter is accurate, do you feel that the officer should be disciplined in any way?

Why are you asking someone to give an opinion on something that may not be factual? Should we take guns away from cops who shoot un-armed citizens? The idiot could have refused the search and then they would have had to get a search warrant. That would give you time to call a lawyer.

For those of you who still think it's easier to roll over & just answer their questions than exercise your fundamental rights while being detained & interrogated by armed agents at suspicionless checkpoints inside the country, this letter to the editor might open your eyes a little...

"Dear Editor,

I wanted to tell my story from the weekend so other Americans are more prepared than I was when traveling in Southern California and Arizona. I read some of the comments on the web page today and I think if those who supported the border patrol concerning the video shown experienced what I did, they would think different.

I was traveling back from San Diego yesterday after a fun weekend surfing. I was stopped at the California checkpoint on I-8E and asked my citizenship. I told the Border Patrolman I was an American. He instructed me to pull off to the side for an inspection. I did as I was told. When I got out of the car, I was set to a covered area and told to keep my hands out of my pockets. The agent told me the reason he had me pull over was that he smelled pot in my car. He asked me if I had a criminal record, if I smoked pot, and if I was transporting pot. I said no. I told him I do not do drugs, drink or smoke. He asked me all the questions again and told me he was going to search my vehicle and get the dogs there. I told him to do whatever he felt he needed to do. At this point, I was not too concerned. I had nothing to hide and I do not do drugs. So why worry right?

They then had another agent sit with me. He just talked casually, but the conversation always went back to drugs, trying to trick me into saying anything self incriminating. They found nothing, so the agent told me to confess or they would put the “screws” to my car. I told him again that I did not do drugs, sell drugs, or transport drugs. He then went over to my car and took everything out. I looked at the agent next to me and said, “Well, this will take a while.” His response was: “ If you had just told the truth and been honest, we would have gone easy on you.” I reaffirmed my innocents. Now, I was nervous. I was unsure of what to expect.

After another 10-15 minutes, the initial agent went to give me my driver’s license and then pulled it away. He said, “I know you are lying to me. They have dogs at the next check point and you will be charged with a felony when they find the drugs.”

The whole ordeal lasted about 30 minutes. It was embarrassing and stressful to say the least. I gave 5 years of my life to the service of our country and I got treated like a criminal. At the border patrols, there is no innocent until proven guilty.

Yesterday I was naive. Today I am aware. Americans need to be prepared for these stops and have a lawyer’s number handy. Learn you rights. I am still not sure what I can say/do and not say/do at a border patrol check point. But I will find out.

Sincerely,
Kevin Flannery"

<<SOURCE LINK>>

Letter Written by: Kevin Flannery
Date of Letter: 2010-08-30
Subject: Immigration

Here in Maine (Aroostook county), I am informed, US Border patrol guards are now going out on calls with the local cops.

These calls are routine local matters have nothing to do with immigration. (I suspect they're just bored)

This is, I think, not a good thing.

It represents still another insinuation of Federalism into local police matters.

If you're truly a right winger, one who truly believes in States rights, and you are truly fearful of creeping Federalism, you too should be alarmed at this development.

Last edited:

Assuming everything described in the letter is accurate, do you feel that the officer should be disciplined in any way?

Disciplined? How? He's a federal employee with a ton of lawyers working for his union. If he violated protocol, then he should be reminded by his superiors how to handle this in the future. But if you think this rises to the level of a lawsuit - hardly. People should not be able to sue for being inconvenienced or insulted. Life's tough. Wear a helmet.

Why are you asking someone to give an opinion on something that may not be factual? Should we take guns away from cops who shoot un-armed citizens? The idiot could have refused the search and then they would have had to get a search warrant. That would give you time to call a lawyer.

He could refuse the search. If they didnt have probable cause to search then, what will they tell the magistrate that would constitute probable cause? Nothing.
Never consent to a search. Never. If they have probable cause, they dont need your consent.

Forum List

Back