Re-fracking?

elektra

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2013
Temecula California
Reading this article I can not help but think that the Professors and Researches in the highest paid government universities in the United States have a incredible lack of imagination.

We have paid these Professors, these Scientist, these Researches billions of dollars, and they choose to study, "the story of chicken little".

Imagine if we fired these failed "Scientists, Professors, and Researchers", and replaced them with the people that have an imagination to dream of the impossible, dream of things to simply do with an Oil Well.

Seriously, Scientist based peak oil on a theory that only imagined drilling straight down, never side ways.

Peak Oil theory never even considered blowing a bit of stuff into a straw to get some stuff to blow out in other places.

Why should we fund the Careers of the people who demonstrate zero understanding of Science. Seriously, they always thought in strict up and down terms. They only thought you could suck on the straw, never thought of applying pressure to the whole oil reserve.

Dumb, very dumb, fire these idiots.

Refracking brings vintage oil and gas wells to life Reuters

Refracking brings 'vintage' oil and gas wells to life
BY ANNA DRIVER AND ERNEST SCHEYDER

HOUSTON/WILLISTON NORTH DAKOTA Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:29pm EDT

• r

(Reuters) - A fracking boom isn't enough for U.S. oil and gas producers – they're now starting the re-fracking boom.

Wells sunk as little as three years ago are being fracked again, the latest innovation in the technology-driven shale oil revolution

Using minuscule plastic balls, known as diverting agents, pumped at high speeds with water into the old wells, most of which are three to five years old, Encana blocked some the older fractures, or cracks.

"The thought is that the diverting agent will go to the cracks with the least amount of pressure," bypassing cracks with higher pressure and boosting the pressure of the entire well so output climbs, Martinez said.

I don't understand the complaint. I was doing recompletions into shale wells back in the late 80's for Section 29 tax credits, and then doing it some more during the mid-90's.

The main cost of producing a well is drilling it, it makes no sense to pump concrete down the hole until all sedimentary rock with the potential of producing hydrocarbons has been tested, so recompletions is what we as a company did.

Made sense then. Makes sense now. And it had nothing to do with those who STUDY something, it was MY job to MAKE MONEY DOING IT. The academics can pontificate and point to their diplomas, scientists can study stuff, and both would come to me to provide the experience in the doing of a thing, and doing it successfully. Can't say I ever consulted an academic or scientist prior to designing, supervising, or flowing back and then producing a recompleted well.

However, RGR, the people that did the original well more than likely consulted geologists before drilling. Elektra has a habit of posting that denigrates all scientists and science. On a computer, and is to silly to see the irony.

However, RGR, the people that did the original well more than likely consulted geologists before drilling. Elektra has a habit of posting that denigrates all scientists and science. On a computer, and is to silly to see the irony.

Geologists come in handy, but once a resource play has begun to be developed, as the Devonian shales of Ohio were back in the late 70's and 80's, it really becomes pretty cookbook. I participated in creating a few "geologic" reports myself.

Unfortunate that someone would denigrate the work of others without even understanding it first.

supreme lols at the latest round of hype designed to promote gross overstatement of reserves. ....

From what I've heard and read, each re-frack uses more water than the previous attempt... also, each re-frack produces a whole new pool of disgustingly contaminated waste water. ... and of course, there's the new round of danger for surface contamination by spilled/leaked chemicals ... it also stresses the well casings once more with more pressure than the first round...

Decline rates are what they are. ... You wanna squeeze a bit more out of each site at enormous cost? Go ahead... And good luck maintaining investment every "3-5 years"

supreme lols at the latest round of hype designed to promote gross overstatement of reserves. ....

Learn the difference between reserves and resources, and we can talk. Well..I can...but you could at least parrot then without looking quite the fool.

JiggsCasey said:
From what I've heard and read, each re-frack uses more water than the previous attempt...

You can't read, so try another tack. The purpose of water is to carry proppant, and if I use a semi-gelled frack job I most certainly will NOT use more water, and yet can carry far more sand. Also, there is certainly no requirement of using more water the next time around, you might, or you might not.

JiggsCasey said:
also, each re-frack produces a whole new pool of disgustingly contaminated waste water. ... and of course, there's the new round of danger for surface contamination by spilled/leaked chemicals ...

The expertise at water handling of oil companies is so far beyond anything you know or have ever been involved in that I would need to teach you the basics of hydraulics for six months before I could even explain the basics of it. For starters, frac flowback is generally recycled nowadays, so the flowback water itself can be used on the next frac stage, or depending on the completion program, the water is stored on site and used in the next well.

And "danger" is relative, it is more dangerous for you to run with a spoon in your hand than what the service companies worry about when working close to steel pipes under thousands of pounds of pressure.

Jiggscasey said:
it also stresses the well casings once more with more pressure than the first round...

So you are as ignorant of metal fatigue as you are of water handling. Color me surprised.

JiggsCasey said:
Decline rates are what they are. ... You wanna squeeze a bit more out of each site at enormous cost? Go ahead... And good luck maintaining investment every "3-5 years"

I was recompleting shale wells in the late-80's, early and mid-90's, 20-30 year old pipe sometimes, making money at it as the oil field has been doing in 3 centuries now. Go parrot to those who haven't done this for a living, maybe if they are blind, and can see past your feathers, they might fall for your wiki based, church approved, "knowledge" on the topic.

Certainly you don't have what it takes to do this for a living, you can't even THINK about what it takes to do this for a living.

Old Crock, not all science is worthy.

I like fracking, a very good practice, do you not agree?

Forum List

Back