RCP electoral map: Obama 201, Romney 191

I won't worry about Romney winning PA or WI until he actually leads a poll in either state.

Yeah, that's why all this talk about Romney winning is kinda moot. He has some momentum, but if it won't push him over the top then that's the game for Obama.

Which is why tomorrow night is very big. Another poor night from Obama and it is likely over for him, the last debate won't matter. A poor showing from Romney probably puts us somewhere between where we were before the debates and where we stand right now.

You're wrong, I think, about the debates. These second and third debates are not going to do much. Romney got a bump in the first one because he was on stage with the President and he didn't embarrass himself. But subsequent "bumps" aren't going to come unless there is a gaffe by either gentleman.

I agree with you to the extent that a tie does the President no good.

If Obama is trounced again, Romney's momentum in the polls continues.

If Obama is overly aggressive, that will make him look desperate...and that's a win for Romney.

Romney only has to do exactly what he did at the last debate...his fate is in his own hands.

Obama needs Romney to make a mistake that he can capitalize on.

Barring that, the Obama/Romney debate ends in deadlock, and deadlock doesn't help move public opinion.

Last edited:
Yeah, my general feeling is that if Romney carries Wisconsin, Obama is probably done. Mathematically he can win without it, but it's a lot harder. Plus, Obama has led there all year, a loss there is a signal that the campaign was in real trouble on election day.

I agree, a lot is riding on tomorrow night's debate. If Obama tanks again, then this will probably give the Romney campaign the momentum it needs to actually take the lead in the electoral college. At this point, Romney is closing the gaps, but Obama is still winning. An Obama win tomorrow will slow, or maybe even stop, the momentum and preserve Obama's now razor thin leads in the swing states.
very good points. i think obama has to win traditional locked in blue states of pa,mi,wi to have a chance. loses any of them and its over deep down. if he win all three of them and ohio he got a chance.

i think if romney dominates debate again then the election is over. he pull out in clear in polls and the college and it be hard for president to have time to recover.

if obama can tie the debate then nothing changes and it close election. if he in unlikletybut think event wins it then he can keep close edge ahead of romney

all pressure on president. Romney got very little.

I concur.

Having Michigan, Wisconsin, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania in play makes Romney's path to victory more likely, but the outcome is still too close to call.

I would be interested to hear from folks living in those states to get their feelings based on first hand observation.

Based on my first hand observations, my feeling is Iowa and Missouri are both firmly Romney states.
romney the front runner as he has leads in more swing stats and nationally. obama the underdog as he much less options.

very good points. i think obama has to win traditional locked in blue states of pa,mi,wi to have a chance. loses any of them and its over deep down. if he win all three of them and ohio he got a chance.

i think if romney dominates debate again then the election is over. he pull out in clear in polls and the college and it be hard for president to have time to recover.

if obama can tie the debate then nothing changes and it close election. if he in unlikletybut think event wins it then he can keep close edge ahead of romney

all pressure on president. Romney got very little.

I concur.

Having Michigan, Wisconsin, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania in play makes Romney's path to victory more likely, but the outcome is still too close to call.

I would be interested to hear from folks living in those states to get their feelings based on first hand observation.

Based on my first hand observations, my feeling is Iowa and Missouri are both firmly Romney states.
romney the front runner as he has leads in more swing stats and nationally. obama the underdog as he much less options.

But Romney doesn't have the lead in more swing states.

I won't worry about Romney winning PA or WI until he actually leads a poll in either state.

Yeah, that's why all this talk about Romney winning is kinda moot. He has some momentum, but if it won't push him over the top then that's the game for Obama.
but the worry for obama is that with romney winning so many of swing states in the polls, he left with littie option but to win all four midwest states and ohio. Lot of eggs in one basket and if he fails to win one of them the game is up. the debate two weeks ago changed everything. Romney has mo but more important he now leading in some key swing states now

I concur.

But Romney doesn't have the lead in more swing states.
well from what i read he does. he leads in va, fi,co,nc and also i saw iw in one poll. He also lead obama 49 to 47 % in latest gallup poll.

so that reduces presdient options in terms of swing states

The polls have tightened up because American trust in the forcefulness of Obama's leadership is at question here. Either he stands up to Romney or he loses. It's that simple.
very true. he need on tuesday night to show that he wants to be president and explain why he be better option. If he fails to do that and romney wins again then the election is over

You're wrong, I think, about the debates. These second and third debates are not going to do much. Romney got a bump in the first one because he was on stage with the President and he didn't embarrass himself. But subsequent "bumps" aren't going to come unless there is a gaffe by either gentleman.

I agree with you to the extent that a tie does the President no good.

If Obama is trounced again, Romney's momentum in the polls continues.

If Obama is overly aggressive, that will make him look desperate...and that's a win for Romney.

Romney only has to do exactly what he did at the last debate...his fate is in his own hands.

Obama needs Romney to make a mistake that he can capitalize on.

Barring that, the Obama/Romney debate ends in deadlock, and deadlock doesn't help move public opinion.
i agree. But a tie would still leave obama in with a chance. a loss and he in big trouble. I don,t think he should be to foreceful. if he over does it he look rude and that will not go down well.

in a sense he does need romney to underpeform but i got to admit that will not probally happen as he such a good debater.

Which is why tomorrow night is very big. Another poor night from Obama and it is likely over for him, the last debate won't matter. A poor showing from Romney probably puts us somewhere between where we were before the debates and where we stand right now.
very true, if he has another bad debate the game is up. If he can peform well then he back in the game although still be a close race.

The polls have tightened up because American trust in the forcefulness of Obama's leadership is at question here. Either he stands up to Romney or he loses. It's that simple.
very true. he need on tuesday night to show that he wants to be president and explain why he be better option. If he fails to do that and romney wins again then the election is over

So far, obama is doing the same thing this time that caused him to lose last time. He's blowing off preparation (it's a drag) in favor of fooling around with pizza parties. He's counting on the the same basic level of performance with the addition of a "tude to help him. It is undeniably true that if Romney wins on Tuesday, this election is over.

Obama will not lose Pennsylvania and Michigan unless the campaign completely collapses. If on election night Pennsylvania goes Red, you should all go to bed. The only reason to stay up is if you want to see what a complete shellacking in the Electoral College looks like and you are too young to remember how decisively Reagan won his Re-election.

What's likely to hurt in the long run is the fact that it now looks like Obama is losing Virginia. Virginia was trending blue and was looking like it might even be slipping into a safe "Leans Blue" or maybe even "Safe Blue" category. If Obama wins and loses Virginia, he's going to face a lot of criticism behind closed doors. That will make the 2016 election VERY hard for the Democrats.

Should Romney dominate Obama in the debates again, this is over. I doubt that happens though. I'm predicting at the very least a tie.

You're right about Pennsylvania. If Romney wins PA; it's over.

Well i hope your right. But he still needs to peform well. if he underpeforms it will just give romney even more of that big mo and that not good at this stage. He need to come out of unhurt and with polls not moved to much.

could end up being a safety first debate but i might be wrong.

debates do matter and townhall can hurt you if you do badly. Look at that famous 1992 one with george senior bush looking at his watch which really hurt him in the polls. This made him look detached.

So far, obama is doing the same thing this time that caused him to lose last time. He's blowing off preparation (it's a drag) in favor of fooling around with pizza parties. He's counting on the the same basic level of performance with the addition of a "tude to help him. It is undeniably true that if Romney wins on Tuesday, this election is over.
Well i hope he more focused. i am still amazed he uses john kerry as prep partner. John kerry was ok debater but bill clinton would have been far better debate prep. would have really pushed obama and forced him to up his game in pratice prep.

I just hope they are not falling into same trap and thinking they could be attacking and that be enough. It will not. he needs to be ready for every romney attack and also work on how he looks and behaves.

he needs more eye contact, more experesive behavior but not over the top and he needs to be postive and sell why he best man. He must keep his words far shorter

Why romney such a good debater is he keep his point short and crisp. That is very effective and helps get across what you say to a audience. Obama waffles to much and can lose track of what he is saying. He needs to cut that out on tuesday.

I worry though he will not listen and he will just go and do his own thing again.

Four days ago RCP gave Obama 251 votes and Romney only 181.

RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map

Colorado (9) d
Florida (29) r
Iowa (6) r
Michigan (16) d
Nevada (6) r
New Hampshire (4) d
North Carolina (15) r
Ohio (18) i
Pennsylvania (20) d
Virginia (13) r
Wisconsin (10) d

D + 59
R + 71

imo

Only Ohio could go either way.

PA is fucked with two large cities. No matter how hated the man is in the coal region, and it's all coal region, there just aren't enough people to win the state.

A lot of wishful thinking about IA and NV.

Iowa probably won't go for Romney because they've never liked the guy. Too many evangelicals, to start with.

Nevada, doubtful.

I also think we are starting to look at the Romney bubble bursting. Three new polls today show Obama retaking the lead. And tomorrow, Mitt's got to talk to some of that 47% of moochers...

The bump was short lived, they're tied at RCP. That electoral map takes time to catch up there, tomorrow night's debate will matter for sure. I think Obama's learned a tough lesson and he's got this.

As long as he has answers for Libya that are satisfactory, he should be ok. Making libya a campaign issue might backfire on Romney. I have the feeling he'll try it.

Colorado (9) d
Florida (29) r
Iowa (6) r
Michigan (16) d
Nevada (6) r
New Hampshire (4) d
North Carolina (15) r
Ohio (18) i
Pennsylvania (20) d
Virginia (13) r
Wisconsin (10) d

D + 59
R + 71

imo

PA is fucked with two large cities. No matter how hated the man is in the coal region, and it's all coal region, there just aren't enough people to win the state.

Iowa probably won't go for Romney because they've never liked the guy. Too many evangelicals, to start with.

Nevada, doubtful.

I also think we are starting to look at the Romney bubble bursting. Three new polls today show Obama retaking the lead. And tomorrow, Mitt's got to talk to some of that 47% of moochers...

The bump was short lived, they're tied at RCP. That electoral map takes time to catch up there, tomorrow night's debate will matter for sure. I think Obama's learned a tough lesson and he's got this.

As long as he has answers for Libya that are satisfactory, he should be ok. Making libya a campaign issue might backfire on Romney. I have the feeling he'll try it.

How can it NOT be an issue?

It really doesn't matter which of these losers win the presidency. The country is failing, gasping, choking on its last breath. The media focuses on the two top runners pointing to polls that change from day to day while the country is going bankrupt. We have a debt of over $16,000,000,000,000 that grows by more each year and we are only paying the interest on it. In 2008 the IRS collected $2.3 trilion in taxes and spent $3.5 trillion in "regular expenses". The extra 1.2 trillion spent was borrowed and added to the national debt. (just like the deficit is always) Every year the debt is increasing and in October of 2012 $3,000,000,000,000 was added to the debt. As soon as the interest on the debt is high enough that the interest can't be paid we, as a nation, are bankrupt. Our money becomes worthless.

Colorado (9) d
Florida (29) r
Iowa (6) r
Michigan (16) d
Nevada (6) r
New Hampshire (4) d
North Carolina (15) r
Ohio (18) i
Pennsylvania (20) d
Virginia (13) r
Wisconsin (10) d

D + 59
R + 71

imo

Nevada, doubtful.

that could be toughest question he gets on Libya. They have made mess white house of dealing with that question and they need to come up with good response for debate on tuesday otherwise obama could be left looking exposed in the debate.

your right that bloodshed from awful first debate peformance slowed down in polls slightly. But Obama to ensure mo does not carry on for romney or worsen must turn up and peform. I hope he really praticing . He needs to . It high stakes time.

It really doesn't matter which of these losers win the presidency. The country is failing, gasping, choking on its last breath. The media focuses on the two top runners pointing to polls that change from day to day while the country is going bankrupt. We have a debt of over $16,000,000,000,000 that grows by more each year and we are only paying the interest on it. In 2008 the IRS collected $2.3 trilion in taxes and spent $3.5 trillion in "regular expenses". The extra 1.2 trillion spent was borrowed and added to the national debt. (just like the deficit is always) Every year the debt is increasing and in October of 2012 $3,000,000,000,000 was added to the debt. As soon as the interest on the debt is high enough that the interest can't be paid we, as a nation, are bankrupt. Our money becomes worthless.
your right that debt bulit up over year been very bad and no president over last 20 year really dealt with it.

whoever wins will have struggle to bring it down.

dont you just LOVE how libtards think making an issue of the single biggest foreign policy fuck up in the Obama administration... is a bad thing?

dont you just LOVE how libtards think making an issue of the single biggest foreign policy fuck up in the Obama administration... is a bad thing?
it is not a bad thing. i think conservative have the right to bring it up. I think dems have made mess of their response to it . The thing is i am amazed at lack of communication between state department and white house over last few weeks. Even jon strewart pointed this out.

this is a election gift to romney to go on.

Forum List

Back