Ray Nagin Calls in Nat Guard Over Teen Killing

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) -
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin has asked for National Guard troops and state police to patrol the city and help quell violence after five teenagers were killed over the weekend, local media said on Monday.

Five teens were shot to death before dawn on Saturday in one of the most deadly attacks in the history of the city, which left residents reeling.

Nagin responded at a special city council meeting by saying he would ask Gov. Kathleen Blanco for the troops, local television stations WWL-TV and WVUE said on their Web sites.

The weekend shooting raised the number of murders to 52 so far this year, police said, and residents and local media say they feel crime is accelerating.

New Orleans was once one of the most dangerous cities in the United States, but the level of violence dropped sharply in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the subsequent evacuation.

"If we don't have wind knocking us down, we have shooters knocking us down, and that's unacceptable," WWL quoted City Council President Oliver Thomas as saying.
© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsa...UKOC_0_US-CRIME-NEWORLEANS.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

So now National Guard are to be used a police officers on the street? :cuckoo:

Where are the virtual police when ya need them :smoke:

theHawk said:
So now National Guard are to be used a police officers on the street? :cuckoo:

Where are the virtual police when ya need them :smoke:

Yes the National Guard are now policemen there :(

As if they don't have more important things to do.

5stringJeff said:
No surprise that crime is up, given that Nagin confiscated private firearms in the aftermath of Katrina.

The liberal approach to crime....help the criminals. :cuckoo:

Nagin is just another ineffective liberal leader who is really only interested in shaking down the money tree. When real problems develop (due to his incompetence) all he can do is whine and cry for big "white chocolate" brother to help. :cry:

Maybe they need to replace him with Guiliani. :cool:

Bonnie said:
New Orleans was once one of the most dangerous cities in the United States, but the level of violence dropped sharply in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the subsequent evacuation.

That kind of says it all, doesn't it?

musicman said:
That kind of says it all, doesn't it?

You know for a man that just barely won an election based on promises of a less violent city he really needs to rethink ways of getting a police force up and motivated. The National Guard wont' be there forever.

Bonnie said:
You know for a man that just barely won an election based on promises of a less violent city he really needs to rethink ways of getting a police force up and motivated. The National Guard wont' be there forever.

"Hi! I'm Ray, and I can't wipe my own ass. Please elect me!"

Forum List

Back