Raw reality on taxes; Rich vs poor

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
So, we all know that the rich pay income tax, and the poor do NOT pay income tax. The rich also pay higher payroll taxes than the poor or middle, simply because they earn more.

But Obama's Class War is about capital gains, which the rich pay a much smaller rate on.

Which led me to ask...........what % do poor people pay on their capital gains????????????

Oh. They don't pay capital gains taxes....do they?

So it has NOTHING to do with fairness, as poor people don't have capital gains, thus, the rich can't have a rate lower than someone who doesn't pay it at all.

So this is ONLY about greed. About wanting more of other peoples money. Has NOTHING to do with fairness or equality.

Unless you show me the folks in the ghetto who pay capital gains tax rates higher than a rich person.

Ok. Hours go by....and no liberal can refute this.

So case closed. The only tax that the rich pay a relatively low rate on is capital gains. And it is NOT unfair because poor people....DONT PAY CAPITAL GAINS TAXES.

Thus, Obama's Class War is not about equality, since, well, poor people dont pay the taxes that the rich have lower rates on.

So, we all know that the rich pay income tax, and the poor do NOT pay income tax. The rich also pay higher payroll taxes than the poor or middle, simply because they earn more.

But Obama's Class War is about capital gains, which the rich pay a much smaller rate on.

Which led me to ask...........what % do poor people pay on their capital gains????????????

So it has NOTHING to do with fairness, as poor people don't have capital gains, thus, the rich can't have a rate lower than someone who doesn't pay it at all.

So this is ONLY about greed. About wanting more of other peoples money. Has NOTHING to do with fairness or equality.

Unless you show me the folks in the ghetto who pay capital gains tax rates higher than a rich person.

One of the most ridiculous points I have ever heard

If I make $30,000 working all year in a sewer, why do I pay more in taxes than someone who made $30,000 in a stock trade?

If I make $30,000 working all year in a sewer, why do I pay more in taxes than someone who made $30,000 in a stock trade?

because you cant lose $$ working in the sewer, and you didnt have to put in an inital investment to work in that sewer (FYI, i kinda work in sewers).

Also note that the sewer workers pension and/or 401k also made a better return of that lower tax rate, if the stock in there did well.

51% pay taxes? We are half way there... to nobody having to pay these unjust taxes.

You don't. It's as simple as that.

You pay less than that person in payroll tax.
You dont pay any income tax at all, and he likely does.
You pay ZERO in capital gains taxes, he pays a % of that $30,000.

Just like how I pay sales tax, property tax, payroll tax, etc, etc, etc.

We don't have a Flat Tax. Our taxes are classified in different categories.

Thus, the only tax the rich dont pay a huge % on is their capital gains taxes. And poor and middle class people dont pay those. Some middle class families MIGHT pay them if they invest their extra income. And if they do......guess what? They'll pay the capital gains tax rate like the rich do.

You and Obama's Class War is based on NOTHING but greed, envy and a simple, pure hatred of those who have more than you.

And btw "rightwinger", what would be a good way to encourage people to INVEST? Possibly by offering a lower tax rate on the money you get in return on that investment. That investing.....is kinda what makes our economy grow, ya know?

So, our government says "Take the risk....and you are rewarded by a lower tax on your investment return."

That has absolutely nothing to do with income tax, payroll tax, property tax, state tax, local tax, and all the other taxes that the rich pay MORE in than you or I.

Obama's War on Well Off Americans is based purely on greed and outright hatred by the left for those who have been successful.

Of course poor people do not generally pay capital gains taxes (although there are people with negative net worths and substantial investments). The arguments for raising taxes on investment income are not premised on any contrary assumption.

Your thinking suggests that no one should pay capital gains taxes unless everyone does (which of course they don't). Perhaps nobody should pay payroll taxes either, for the same reason. Is that your notion of fairness?

Is it greedy to support higher taxes on the wealthy in order to support the poor and the middle class? I know plenty of people who would pay higher taxes under some sort of "tax the rich" plan and who nevertheless support such plans. Are they greedy? Or are there other reasons someone would support shifting societal responsibilities more towards those best able to pay?

Asking yourself "What is fair?" without any recourse to societal realities cannot possibly tell you what the "correct" tax rate is (supposing there is one).

This is simply not how the US federal tax system works. The sewer worker without other income would pay payroll and income taxes but not capital gains taxes. The person with stock revenue and no other income would pay capital gains taxes but not payroll taxes or other income taxes. The capital gains rate, if long-term, would be lower than the income tax rate for the sewer worker: Capital gains tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

ah but you see while you claim its about fairness, its really about greed. You want to raise taxes on people who make 20k a year. Why do you want to take their money?

You cant cry fowl on what obama wants when you are advocating for the samething, just a different group.

The poor pay taxes on things. sales tax comes to mind. Gas tax as well. So why do you want to steal more of their money?

Hey stupid ass, your local sales tax is set by YOUR LOCAL CITY AND STATE GOVERNMENT, not the federal government.

Jesus Christ liberals are such retards.

Your math is unassailable, your morals are suspect.

Is it greedy to support higher taxes on the wealthy in order to support the poor and the middle class? I know plenty of people who would pay higher taxes under some sort of "tax the rich" plan and who nevertheless support such plans. Are they greedy? Or are there other reasons someone would support shifting societal responsibilities more towards those best able to pay?

Asking yourself "What is fair?" without any recourse to societal realities cannot possibly tell you what the "correct" tax rate is (supposing there is one).

For those people you know who are rich, and already pay the vast majority of total tax $$$ going to Washington.............for those who do that, but still wanna give a little more, thats why we have a thing called CHARITY.

The government isn't the answer to EVERYTHING despite you lefties believing that.

This is simply not how the US federal tax system works. The sewer worker without other income would pay payroll and income taxes but not capital gains taxes. The person with stock revenue and no other income would pay capital gains taxes but not payroll taxes or other income taxes. The capital gains rate, if long-term, would be lower than the income tax rate for the sewer worker: Capital gains tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Your hypothetical sewer worker gets more back than he pays from the government. Thus, his net income tax $$$ lost, as a percentage of his annual wages, is BELOW $0. If you pay less than you get back, you do not lose money, but rather gain money, from the government.

And yes, a person who makes money from stocks, like retirees, but does not hold a job, doesn't pay income or payroll tax. Because he is technically umeployed.

Thats why people invest. Because if they are lucky, it leads to a great situation. It encourages investment. Which is GOOD, right?

Investment income is taxed less than earned income. That encourages investment, which stimulates growth, which boosts employment.

See why it is BAD to discourage investment now?

Obama's War on Wealth is out of pure greed and hatred from the left for those who are well off.

The rich also pay higher payroll taxes than the poor or middle, simply because they earn more.

Actually, this is not true. Since payroll taxes cap out just over $100K, anyone making over that amount pays a smaller and smaller percentage of their income in payroll taxes. Someone making $1M a year pays about 0.62% in payroll taxes. Compared to someone making $50K who pays, normally, 6.2%.

Your hypothetical sewer worker gets more back than he pays from the government.

How did you ever arrive at that conclusion? You realize the EITC is maxed at a zero liability including payroll taxes.

Investment income is taxed less than earned income. That encourages investment, which stimulates growth, which boosts employment.

See why it is BAD to discourage investment now?

Taxing labor less would encourage more work.

Just like how I pay sales tax, property tax, payroll tax, etc, etc, etc.

We don't have a Flat Tax. Our taxes are classified in different categories.

Thus, the only tax the rich dont pay a huge % on is their capital gains taxes. And poor and middle class people dont pay those. Some middle class families MIGHT pay them if they invest their extra income. And if they do......guess what? They'll pay the capital gains tax rate like the rich do.

You and Obama's Class War is based on NOTHING but greed, envy and a simple, pure hatred of those who have more than you.

Wrong again bucko...

You are providing a lower tax rate to those who are not producing anything. My time in the sewer enables the entire community to function. Your stock trade has no value added.

Even worse, you are providing a loophole for the super wealthy to claim income as a capital gain and pay less in taxes than the poor sewer worker

And btw "rightwinger", what would be a good way to encourage people to INVEST? Possibly by offering a lower tax rate on the money you get in return on that investment. That investing.....is kinda what makes our economy grow, ya know?

So, our government says "Take the risk....and you are rewarded by a lower tax on your investment return."

That has absolutely nothing to do with income tax, payroll tax, property tax, state tax, local tax, and all the other taxes that the rich pay MORE in than you or I.

Obama's War on Well Off Americans is based purely on greed and outright hatred by the left for those who have been successful.

You are providing no service to the economy when you move money from point A to point B. Capital gains produces nothing. No jobs, no product, no net growth. All it does is create an imaginary worth while allowing speculators to amass more wealth

Your hypothetical sewer worker gets more back than he pays from the government.

How did you ever arrive at that conclusion? You realize the EITC is maxed at a zero liability including payroll taxes.

I'm with 8537. I know people in this income range who get money back, but only those with deductions (IE, dependents). A sewer worker at $30K without deductions does not get money back on his or her tax return. Are you saying they get money back in the form of government services?

How about because the money that person is investing in the stock market HAS ALREADY BEEN TAXED AS INCOME once before and now, not only are they risking it, but paying an additional 15% on whatever they make...why is this so hard for people to grasp?

Forum List

Back