raw diet?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
well i finally decided to do it...convert the dogs to a holistic diet...then i decided to go raw...which is feeding just raw meat...this is proving to be harder than i thought...for one thing i hate fucking liver....damn its gross...for another thing....you ever attempted to get green tripe? it aint easy...well hell so far its impossible...butcher shops just arent what they use to be....chicken necks are a breeze to get on the east coast...no so easy here...
so today i begin to make phone calls....for green tripe.....(tripe is the stomach and when it hits the market it has been bleached white) luckily liver is too rich to feed that often...but it is nasty and gross.....i forgot why i was feeding them outside last night and brought them in..feed them liver in their bowls.....thor just picked it up and dropped it on the floor...now i remember...

anyone else doing this?

I feed mine a half and half.

I feed Taste of the Wild dog food both dry and wet. Just a teaspoon in the dry at night.

They also get raw turkey neck bones. Raw Porkneck Bones and I also feed raw chicken livers and beef heart. My dogs love it all.

It can get rather messy especially if your using livers. Chicken livers come in a container so its just a matter of putting them in my dogs food. NO problems so far.

Good lord no.

I loved all my animals, but there's a limit on what someone, who doesn't hunt, can feed an animal.

But I did have a freind tell me to avoid feeding raw meat to dogs. Saying that it made them agressive. I have not idea of that's true.

But I did put raw egg in my dogs food.

Good lord no.

I loved all my animals, but there's a limit on what someone, who doesn't hunt, can feed an animal.

But I did have a freind tell me to avoid feeding raw meat to dogs. Saying that it made them agressive. I have not idea of that's true.

But I did put raw egg in my dogs food.

i dont know its not that expensive....but i am looking for bones with deer hunters...and i dont think it makes the dogs aggressive...but they are lively at feeding time...pigs feet this evening....

so far i am making due with cheap chicken and pig's feet.....i check the aisle for organ meat.....plus i am begging venison

Well, knowing that some of the longest lived dogs have been vegetarians, vegans even, helped me to calm down some about trying to feed my dogs the perfect diet. I don't know whether being vegetarians made them live long, as other dogs have achieved great old ages while eating dog food containing meat. Sometimes I think it's just the luck of the draw.

I content myself to feed them a high-quality dry food, Canine Caviar Lamb and Pearl Millet. In addition, at dinner time they get a modest portion of a homemade food I make in batches and freeze. It contains brown rice, cottage cheese, canned no-salt green beans, and boiled hamburger. At dinner time I add some chopped baked chicken breast and some water the hamburger was boiled in, minus the fat. I may or may not add some salmon oil.

I give them a variety of treats...biscuits, Greenies, chicken jerky, and sometimes chicken livers or beef liver...but I bake it first. Oh, and Yummy Chummies, which are salmon.

I just know, that no matter my best efforts, they are going to die someday. I wish I could change that, but I can't. And I am concerned about raw meat because they can get sick from it just like we can.

Not criticizing the raw diets by any means, but I just decided that there are limits to which I will go to try and escape the inevitable aging and death of my dogs. I DO consider the quality of their food at all times, and try to avoid health problems by not skimping on that. Also try to keep them healthy by making sure they get plenty of exercise.

Dogs are just heart-breakers, aren't they? So wonderful and so short-lived. :(

wtf?

If you really want them to be like they would in the wild, stop feeding them completely and let them hunt for their own food.

i give up........they seem to have no benefit from the raw diet....my husband is not for it.....has already stated that if his dog gets impacted....i will be paying the vet bill as well as taking care of the after care....

i figured out it was costing about 5 bucks a day....5 lbs of meat a day....i could not find green tripe.....i found bleached tripe at walmart for like 6 bucks for 2 lbs.....

two thumbs the dogs did not get aggressive but got damned pushy....my husband refused to help with feedings so it was all on me...to stand out there and make sure the big dog didnt rob the little dog

Dogs aren't wild. They are the products of man.

They don't have the same digestive tracts as wild animals.

You are exposing your dogs to diseases they cannot handle.

i checked with my vet first...she said dogs will thrive with most diets...she did not allow the cats to go on it...

husband agrees with you

well now that I've a million miles today and almost out of my funk of losing my cat, I think I can help you here. Doesn't sound like a positive does it? Bear with me, lol.

Check out Dr. Pitcairn's Natural Health for Dogs and Cats. It's like my bible for my beasties. One cat Pyewacket almost made it to 21 so trust me his advice works.

You don't have to go to one extreme or the other. You can take what you want and discard the rest. It's a great book with really common sense material that you can use.

lol

With all due respect you have it ass backward. And pray tell what diseases?

Breeding for Westminster is a product of man. Most beasties we know and love today are still but a 50 year process that we've messed with.

I remember my father bringing home Gravy Train and oohing and aaaawing over it. Pet Food is a new invention.

One of the best tricks to get a pup to learn any command is making your own dry liver treats. Just a quick aside.

They'll wash the dishes and vacuum the living room for you.:lol:

One just has to be sensible. I raised the most beautiful Rhodesian Ridgeback on deer and catfish with a side of Ol Roy.

She was the most fine beast you ever saw.

Last edited:
Oh and before anyone wants to begin to slag Ol Roy you have to remember that Sam adored dogs and the food was the equivalent of Science Diet or Iams but at a fraction of the price so we commoners were getting an awesome knock off.

i checked with my vet first...she said dogs will thrive with most diets...she did not allow the cats to go on it...

husband agrees with you

Dogs that hunt don't live very long. There are all sorts of diseases and conditions that kill them pretty quickly. A dog in the wild lives about 3 years or so.

husband agrees with you

Dogs that hunt don't live very long. There are all sorts of diseases and conditions that kill them pretty quickly. A dog in the wild lives about 3 years or so.

With all due respect, I beg to differ being a breeder of Catahoulas. Jim Dandy, Dusty Roads and American Bad Ass All hunted all lasted till over the age of 8.

As a matter of fact my vet and I are still trying to track down why Dusty and Bad Ass went down this spring. We sent off the food samples and we still aren't giving up till we get an answer.

My dogs were spectacular and beautiful at the age of 8.

You'll never witness finer beasts. Hogs. Wild hogs are the game.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back