Rattlesnake found in Oregon car

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
Gosh, here we only find them in trees:

"Rattlesnake found in Oregon car

08/05/2009

Associated Press

There were a couple of things wrong with Katie Prewitt's Geo Tracker.

There was the rope that seemed to hang from the car's undercarriage. And then that hissing noise; maybe a faulty emissions valve.

She took the car into her husband's Klamath Falls body shop, but Dave Prewitt wasn't quite sure what to make of the problem, either. He called his friend Martin Schenck, who works across the street at Downtown Automotive, looking for a little help.

That's when they saw it: A flash of movement inside the engine, a slithering sort of movement.

"It didn't take too long to figure out that sticking our hands in any part wasn't a good idea," Schenck said, who's been working with automobiles for 28 years.

The "rope," it turned out, was an angry 3-foot diamondback rattlesnake. How it got there — or why — is anybody's guess, but it probably snuggled up to the Tracker's warm V6 engine while Prewitt had the vehicle parked at her Pine Grove home."

AP Wire - Oregon | kgw.com | News for Portland Oregon and SW Washington

• Banned
Incidentally, it wasn't seeking heat. It was seeking shade.

They're almost nothing but problematic, as I understand it. My parents own about 19 acres in desert country and they're constantly shooting at them or hacking them apart with garden tools. :lol:

• Banned
It is good nobody was hurt. I don't agree with killing the snake though.

You kill a rattler when you find one outside of an isolated habitat, and you have the ability to do so. Otherwise, leave them the hell alone.

It is good nobody was hurt. I don't agree with killing the snake though.

You kill a rattler when you find one outside of an isolated habitat, and you have the ability to do so. Otherwise, leave them the hell alone.

I disagree. Snakes play an important role in the ecosystem. They aren't encroaching our world. We are encroaching theirs. The snake wasn't trying to hurt anyone. I don't go out looking for snakes, but if I come across one, I don't kill it. If It is is trying to kill me, that is different.

I wouldn't have killed it if possible. I would never kill an animal unless it was absolutely necessary, either for food or the protection of human life. Or if putting it down is the only humane choice.

New Topics

Forum List

Back