Rationing Healthcare!

I am surprised no one is refuting this, because this is such a widely used talking point for the anti-UHC crowd!

There's nothing to refute, really.

We have always had mechanisms of rationing in HC. The market has its means of limiting HC delievered, and if we chang the method of payment, that system will also have some system of rationing HC, too.

Failure to have some kind of mechanisms in place to limit HC delivered would be diasterous.

To some extent we're in such trouble now precisely because we don't limit HC enough right now.

Conservatives if you are going to make a case against UHC, then fine do it, but don't do it disingeniously! Don't toss out that healthcare will be rationed, while ignoring the fact that its rationed now!

This is your best point. Nicely said. Of course this does beg the question of just why conservatives can't be honest in their debates but I guess that would be a different thread...

I am surprised no one is refuting this, because this is such a widely used talking point for the anti-UHC crowd!

We have always had mechanisms of rationing in HC. The market has its means of limiting HC delievered, and if we chang the method of payment, that system will also have some system of rationing HC, too.

Failure to have some kind of mechanisms in place to limit HC delivered would be diasterous.

To some extent we're in such trouble now precisely because we don't limit HC enough right now.

So your contention is that it should be limited to the healthy? That makes me want to rush right out and pay my premium....

Federally Chartered HMO's are required to take people .... it's in the charter.

No they are not. They cannot refuse to re-enroll nor refuse because of pre-existing conditions to current members. But they are not required to take new members with pre-existing conditions that would prove to be unprofitable. This is to prevent dumping from one insurer to the next. If you loose your current health care and have pre-existing conditions your are screwed. That's the American way-profits before life. Any problem with it...

Not so much disastrous as impossible. No organization has the resources to deliver unlimited health care to millions of people.

Forum List

Back