CDZ Rational Basis For Optimism in the Modern Age

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
This is a great video and I plan to find that book and read it too.

Be optimistic, or ELSE!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Matthew White Ridley, 5th Viscount Ridley DL FRSL FMedSci[3] (born 7 February 1958),[1] commonly known as Matt Ridley, is a British journalist and businessman. Ridley is best known for his writings on science, the environment, and economics.[5] He has written several science books including The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature (1994), Genome (1999), The Rational Optimist: How Prosperity Evolves (2010) and The Evolution of Everything: How Ideas Emerge (2015). He publishes a blog, and has been a regular contributor to The Times newspaper.

Ridley is a libertarian,[6] and a staunch supporter of Brexit.[7] Since 2013, he has been a Conservative hereditary peer, with a seat in the House of Lords.[8][9][10]

Ridley was chairman of the UK bank Northern Rock from 2004 to 2007, during which period Northern Rock experienced the first run on a British bank in 150 years. Ridley resigned and the bank was bailed out by the UK government leading to the nationalisation of Northern Rock.[11]
Matt Ridley - Wikipedia

Last edited:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Matthew White Ridley, 5th Viscount Ridley DL FRSL FMedSci[3] (born 7 February 1958),[1] commonly known as Matt Ridley, is a British journalist and businessman. Ridley is best known for his writings on science, the environment, and economics.[5] He has written several science books including The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature (1994), Genome (1999), The Rational Optimist: How Prosperity Evolves (2010) and The Evolution of Everything: How Ideas Emerge (2015). He publishes a blog, and has been a regular contributor to The Times newspaper.

Ridley is a libertarian,[6] and a staunch supporter of Brexit.[7] Since 2013, he has been a Conservative hereditary peer, with a seat in the House of Lords.[8][9][10]

Ridley was chairman of the UK bank Northern Rock from 2004 to 2007, during which period Northern Rock experienced the first run on a British bank in 150 years. Ridley resigned and the bank was bailed out by the UK government leading to the nationalisation of Northern Rock.[11]
Matt Ridley - Wikipedia
Well, he obviously wasn't optimistic enough, now was he?

:D

I saw a large 3 deck boat on a trailer displayed for auction at my savings and loan.

It had its name painted on it; 'Optimism'!

:lmao:

I never understood those that are not.

The idea that today's problems are not surmountable is asinine. People have no concept of how truly hard life has been throughout history or how bad things really have been. Modern man has it VERY easy.

People have no concept of how truly hard life has been throughout history or how bad things really have been. Modern man has it VERY easy.

When we would do infantry training back in the old days (late 70s) we would use pup tents, had hot food and proper clothing, and some of the aadult men would whine about it nonstop. WTF did they think they were signing up for?

We had one dude who cut a hole in the bottom of his sleeping bag (AKA fart sack) and hobbled over for the food in front of the company commander, first sergeant, etc. He regretted his choice shortly.

People have no concept of how truly hard life has been throughout history or how bad things really have been. Modern man has it VERY easy.

When we would do infantry training back in the old days (late 70s) we would use pup tents, had hot food and proper clothing, and some of the aadult men would whine about it nonstop. WTF did they think they were signing up for?

We had one dude who cut a hole in the bottom of his sleeping bag (AKA fart sack) and hobbled over for the food in front of the company commander, first sergeant, etc. He regretted his choice shortly.
LOL.

I can see how badly that would have worked out for him. I went though field training in 2003 and that would not have worked well then and I guarantee that we had it WAY better than you did.

The idea that today's problems are not surmountable is asinine. People have no concept of how truly hard life has been throughout history or how bad things really have been. Modern man has it VERY easy.

That is probably part of the problem. Because we have it so easy, we are spoiled. Getting kicked in the teeth every now and then is a great way to appreciate the times when you are doing well.

That is probably part of the problem. Because we have it so easy, we are spoiled. Getting kicked in the teeth every now and then is a great way to appreciate the times when you are doing well.
That is most certainly part of the problem. It is where SJW come from - a crop of young people that are built, as all people are, to overcome great and terrible adversity that is not there so we create it.

Forum List

Back