Rating the Star Trek Films from Best to Worst

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
Now that we have 12 Star Trek Movies, it's time to rate them from best to worst.

The Great

1) Wrath of Khan - Hands down, still the best Trek film, the one all the others tried to copy and failed. Done on a shoestring budget with recycled sets and scenes and models, it still stands heads above all the others. Why? Characterizations! Ricardo Montalban and his plastic chest chewed the scenery for all it was worth. The excellent Spock Death Scene. Some truly great battle sequences. All the elements the later movies tried to copy and failed to match with bigger budgets.

2) The Voyage Home – Give them credit for doing a very different kind of movie here, and better than that, reminding us all that Star Trek can be a hell of a lot of fun. Without a lot of space battle stuff to do, they let the characters be the characters, and had fun with the minor ones. (Scotty and Bones in the Plastic Factory was awesome.)

3) The Undiscovered Country – I think what keeps this film off the top of the list is the unneeded racism of Kirk. “Let them die!” And the whole “Soviets/Klingons are our friends now” thing doesn’t seem to ring as true now. But there are some great adventure scenes. There are some fun moments.

The Good

4) The Search for Spock – This film has some good parts, and Christopher Lloyd chewing the scenery left uneaten by Ricardo... This film is obviously an excuse for getting Spock back, and that works just fine.

5) First Contact – Probably the only one of the TNG films I would consider even adequate. My biggest complaint, besides only really utilizing 2 out of 7 characters (A problem ALL the TNG Films had) was that the character of Picard was completely bastardized.

6) Star Trek – Probably rating this higher than it deserves because it resurrected the franchise from the awfulness that was Nemesis. My biggest problem was the people who wrote it had no idea how real military organizations work.

The Mediocre…

7) Insurrection- Would have been an awesome two-parter episode. But it was kind of inadequate as a major motion picture. F. Murray Abraham is totally wasted and makes you want to redeem him by breaking out your Amadeus DVD.

8) The Motion Picture – A visual treat, with a slow, tedious plot that you simply don’t care about. Even the actors looked bored. It opens with a great scene of Klingon ships attacking a space entity, and then….uh… er…. Yeah, were getting there. Eventually.

9) Into Darkness – Besides failing miserably to copy Wrath of Khan without understanding what that movie was about, it’s just more of what movies have become in the age of “I’m desperately trying to get your attention!” Loud, over the top and ultimately, forgettable.

The Truly Awful

10) The Final Frontier – They let Shatner Direct. I could end the criticism right there, but I’m just getting started. The silliness of finding God in the middle of the universe. Getting Lawrence Luckenbill to play the “Passionate” Vulcan and almost ruining Vulcans before Star Trek Enterprise could get around to do it.

11) Generations – Let’s take the most famous hero in the Science Fiction Genre… and kill him. With Scaffolding. Yes, the way to truly “Pass the Torch” to the Next Generation Crew was to kill Captain Kirk with as little dignity as humanly possible.

12) Nemesis – Not enough words in the English language to describe the awfulness of this turd. Data flying through space, a dune buggy chase, “Crashing” the Enterpirse into the other ship…. Just simply awful in every respect.

Good list

No doubt that Wrath of Khan is the gold standard

I liked First Contact more than you and hated The Search for Spock. Voyage home was funny and corny but a good flick

Half of them are forgetable....much like Star Wars

Agree about Wrath being #1. Though I'd then say Star Trek '09 was it, would be a close second. Liked the reinvention of the mythology and how finally, Starfleet officers aren't such pussies. :) From the opening til the bar fight, I was instantly hooked.

Also really appreciated the Battlestar Galactica like warp drive effect. The streak of light with big explosion of light at the end was SO annoying. :)

Last edited:
Like even numbered,not fan of odd numbered.

2/4/6 were the best. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think the two latest versions - showing the young crew members - are pretty good. Having been a Trekkie since the beginning, it's great to see where and how and it all came about.

I think the two latest versions - showing the young crew members - are pretty good. Having been a Trekkie since the beginning, it's great to see where and how and it all came about.

I did enjoy the two newest movies; however, I'm not that big on the whole new timeline thing mainly because Planet Vulcan got destroyed. I also thought it was too much of a stretch that Kirk, who was expelled from the acedemy would be able to take over as captain of the enterprise. But I have to keep reminding myself -- it's science fiction, don't overthink things so much.

Also, speaking of overthinking, in Generations Picard realized that the event with his "children" while he was in the nexus was not real. Then he met up with Kirk and used the nexus to travel back in time to refight the blonde villain dude (I can't remember his name). Wouldn't that event be just as not real as the event with Picards's children? Is Picard still in the nexus imagining that he escaped when he did not? And Kirk did not really get killed by the blonde villain dude, it's all picard's imagination. Overthinking.............. Yep.

I did enjoy the two newest movies; however, I'm not that big on the whole new timeline thing mainly because Planet Vulcan got destroyed. I also thought it was too much of a stretch that Kirk, who was expelled from the acedemy would be able to take over as captain of the enterprise. But I have to keep reminding myself -- it's science fiction, don't overthink things so much.

Also, speaking of overthinking, in Generations Picard realized that the event with his "children" while he was in the nexus was not real. Then he met up with Kirk and used the nexus to travel back in time to refight the blonde villain dude (I can't remember his name). Wouldn't that event be just as not real as the event with Picards's children? Is Picard still in the nexus imagining that he escaped when he did not? And Kirk did not really get killed by the blonde villain dude, it's all picard's imagination. Overthinking.............. Yep.

My problem with the new JJ Abrams movies is that they are big, dumb Science Fiction Action movies.

Which is great is you are watching Star Wars, but Star Trek is supposed to be the smarter Science Fiction.

Generations is all manner of stupid. Oh, the "Blonde Dude" was Dr. Soren, played by Malcolm McDowell.

1, 2, 6
I agree with your testament of Into Darkness...ultimately forgettable. IMO - they wanted to capitalize on the success of the 2009 film - and threw something together while interest is still out there.

I'm too much of a purist to like the Zackary Quinto Spock. To me I would think they could have found a better choice, but it appears they were interested in a lookalike more than somebody who had a similar personality to Leonard Nimoy.

Both of the new Star Trek films can stand on their own, but they don't do justice to the originals because of so many changes that have been made. It is literally a reboot of the story. Spock having a love affair, his planet destroyed by yet another massive enemy ship, a worn out plot that has been used way to many times in installments like Nemesis, Star Trek the Movie, The Voyage Home, etc.

The problem with Star Trek (XI) was that it really was Star Wars.

An Orphan being raised by his uncle meets a wise old mentor and is told about his real father, and is asked to join an organization. A peaceful planet is destroyed. A couple of guys don't like each other at first but then become buddies. Then there is a climatic battle, followed by an awards ceremony. .

An Orphan being raised by his uncle meets a wise old mentor and is told about his real father, and is asked to join an organization. A peaceful planet is destroyed. A couple of guys don't like each other at first but then become buddies. Then there is a climatic battle, followed by an awards ceremony. .

I think part of the problem with Star Trek is it's pacifist plots. Too much political correctness. The Prime Directive is one example.

:eusa_think:
whaddya know...I never thought of that. But boy - the plot is certainly undeniably similar!

:eusa_think:
whaddya know...I never thought of that. But boy - the plot is certainly undeniably similar!

Well there are some similarities, but there are many differences.

Star Trek delves into interracial relationships for one.

Forum List

Back