Raspberry Pi: Anyone Here Have This $35 Computer?

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Just bought a Raspberry Pi model B+ starter kit from Amazon. Can't wait till it gets here!

I played around with an Arduino for a bit. Thinking about trying the PI. Might be a fun way to explore to-the-metal computing.

What is the memory capacity and graphics generation rate?
It's basically a 700mhz computer, with either 256 or 512mb RAM but it uses a Micro SD Card to run the OS which is a certain flavor of Linux (I think).

The video resolution can go up to 1080p HD.

Cool. I knew about Rasberry Pi from articles in CPU, but I've never played around with one. What are you going to use it for? TOR? Mining?
I don't really know yet. Looks like you can use it as a media streaming device so I can free up my Chromebook which I use for that purpose now.

Yeah, mining Startcoin, Max and/or Doge sounds pretty cool too!

Bonehead me. There's five full pages devoted to Raspberry in the new Maximum PC Magazine (Nov issue). It's been sitting here on my computer desk for three days. I'll read it tonight. I know it's nearly impossible, but us old farts have to try and stay up with the code-savvy 10 year-olds as best we can.

Well I got my Raspberry Pi in the mail today! One problem though: It's missing a few parts:

No plastic case.
No Power supply.
Wrong Micro USB cable.
No HDMI Cable.
No WiFi Adapter.
No Micro SD Card with OS.

I guess that can be expected when BOTH sides of the box don't get taped shut! :laugh:

But for some reason I got a Universal Smart Phone mount? :confused-84:

No worries though! My return is already approved so I went ahead and ordered another bundle from a different company and thanks to Amazon Prime it should be here by Friday!

It's basically a 700mhz computer, with either 256 or 512mb RAM but it uses a Micro SD Card to run the OS which is a certain flavor of Linux (I think).

And only 35 bucks? Do you have to assemble it yerself? I like to do dat stuff. My eldest son and I build gaming computers from cannibalized units...

Well I got my Raspberry Pi in the mail today! One problem though: It's missing a few parts:

No plastic case.
No Power supply.
Wrong Micro USB cable.
No HDMI Cable.
No WiFi Adapter.

I guess that can be expected when BOTH sides of the box don't get taped shut! :laugh:

No worries though! My return is already approved so I went ahead and ordered another bundle from a different company and thanks to Amazon Prime it should be here by Friday!
If it was in my area it would have been crushed in transit...

And only 35 bucks? Do you have to assemble it yerself? I like to do dat stuff. My eldest son and I build gaming computers from cannibalized units...
I have done some programming but it was years ago with FORTRAN or I Mike VI for industry and Rand Sperry..
So my youngest is studying programming... He only 12 but I start me kidz out early. The eldest I taught electronics and electrical mechanics...

No plastic case.
No Power supply.
Wrong Micro USB cable.
No HDMI Cable.
No WiFi Adapter.

I know this is an old thread, but tell me how the PI worked out. I've fooled around with arduino for the last couple of years, and it's been great for what I used it for, but video capability sounds like a great advance. Any specific problems or gotcha's I need to know about?

It streamed live video better than any other computer or device I've ever had. Boots real quick too.

What I didn't like was that you don't get regular "channels" like your used to on cable, instead you get short "video clips". It's a bit like watching YouTube all the time.

But I bought a ChromeBook shortly after and haven't used it since.

I should look into them again, I'm sure there have been some nice advances in the last year or so.

I didn't use it for mining, I don't know what wire shark is.

Oh man...you should take a look at it. Especially the Linux version.
There is a learning curve, but after you get familiar with it - it is very powerful.
Primarily it is a tool for packet sniffing and network policing. But it can also mine anything/everything that passes through your ethernet and video card.

Forum List

Back