Rapists should have parental rights?

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Iowa Republican blocks bill ending parental rights for convicted rapists as ‘feel-good’ lawmaking

An Iowa Republican has held up legislation that would prevent convicted rapists from claiming parental rights to children conceived during the assault, dismissing the bill as “feel-good” legislation.

As reported by the Globe Gazette, State Rep. Chip Baltimore has bottled up the proposed bill in committee, infuriating women’s advocates who want to protect rape survivors from having to endure future court battles with their assailants.

According to Jennifer Carlson, executive director of the University of Iowa’s Rape Victim Advocacy Program, “We see this as a huge struggle for those victims as they are worried for the safety of their child as well as seeing their offender on a regular basis.”

Baltimore, who is chairman of the Iowa House’s Judiciary Committee, feels the law is unnecessary and lacks nuance.

“It’s a feel-good piece of legislation that quite honestly is dissociated with reality in the real world with the way the criminal justice system and the judicial system work,” Baltimore said. “It’s a far more complicated situation, honestly, than most people acknowledge. I get the general concept. I understand the general concept. But it’s a concept that needs a lot more work.”

Beth Barnhill, executive director of the Iowa Coalition Against Sexual Assault, disagrees.

“I’ve been doing this for 30 years, and I do not have trust in the system. There are many, many ways it fails,” she explained.

And, from another RW who despises women and children -

efa5d24ab3ce44abc687ead37a062c52.jpg

This is just vicious. Obviously, they want to give rapists easy access to their victims. Not just dangerous to the victims, this puts children at risk as well.

Once again, Repubs prove they have no concern for children and that they really are at war against women.

Rapists should be made to turn in their 'Human' card and wear a sign telling everyone about their crime. Rights to visitation of their spawn? They have no parental 'rights'.

I have said it for years,

If a man is found guilty of rape twice, that person should be castrated, and I don't mean chemically. if that don't fix him, then hang him, for there is no fixing him. Why twice? because people lie.

If a woman is found guilty of the same twice, then remove her sexual organs, if she does it again, then hang her, for you cant fix her.

Perhaps this is taking things a bit far, but if you remove the word rape, and replace it with the words child molestation, is that taking things to far?

You understand what 'feel good' legislation means right?

It does not mean the legislator thinks that rapists should have parental rights but that the proposed law is meaningless because it does not address an actual problem.

Care to bring up a single case where a rapist has any parental rights? Do you have a link to the law that shows us the merits of the law?

This is one of the problems with politics today - some one comes up with a 'good idea' that is really an asinine concept that does not need to be codified in law and then slaps a good title on it and legislators MUST pass it because of hair on fire one liners.

Those of us on the right would like to see rapist killed or life in prison. It's the liberals that want to give them a second chance. If it wasn't for liberals, the bill in question wouldn't be needed. Also what else is in the bill?

You understand what 'feel good' legislation means right?

It does not mean the legislator thinks that rapists should have parental rights but that the proposed law is meaningless because it does not address an actual problem.

Care to bring up a single case where a rapist has any parental rights? Do you have a link to the law that shows us the merits of the law?

This is one of the problems with politics today - some one comes up with a 'good idea' that is really an asinine concept that does not need to be codified in law and then slaps a good title on it and legislators MUST pass it because of hair on fire one liners.

Ahh, you were saying, FA?

Tonight rapist demands visitation with child HLNtv.com

Last edited:

If a man is found guilty of rape twice, that person should be castrated, and I don't mean chemically. if that don't fix him, then hang him, for there is no fixing him. Why twice? because people lie.

If a woman is found guilty of the same twice, then remove her sexual organs, if she does it again, then hang her, for you cant fix her.

Perhaps this is taking things a bit far, but if you remove the word rape, and replace it with the words child molestation, is that taking things to far?

Ullysses, meet Shariah law. Shariah law, meet Ulysses.

Those of us on the right would like to see rapist killed or life in prison. It's the liberals that want to give them a second chance. If it wasn't for liberals, the bill in question wouldn't be needed. Also what else is in the bill?

You are way out of line there. Neither Liberals nor Conservatives create rapists, nor do they create an environment for rapists.

What the fuck is wrong with you, bubba?

Last edited:

Well, you have to admit that this would dramatically reduce the prison population....

Remember, we went the death-penalty-and-life-sentencing-for-rape route and found it only meant few convictions.
'That ain't where idsat' if we want do something.

You are way out of line there. Neither Liberals no Conservatives create rapists, nor do they create an environment for rapists.

What the fuck is wrong with you, bubba?
Liberals are for second chances. Also the way liberals are accepting more perverse actions into society. It will probably become the norm.

Well, you have to admit that this would dramatically reduce the prison population....

And Ebeneezer Scrooge would be tickled pink, uh, non-white.

Forum List

Back