ranking US Presidents

Nixon caused one of the most serious constitutional crises and wasn't very succesful domestically.

Truman was a strong President, but Reagan had a much greater personal impact.

Nixon's crisis was ultimately personal, not constitutional, and he was very successful domestically.

And in foreign affairs.

True. He was a pretty darn good president other than...that thing...

FDR should be dead last on that list.

I disagree. He made the US into the World Power that it is today, guided it through one of its greatest domestic crises, etc.

He burdened all succeeding generations with unsustainable expenses. Most damningly, he threw over 100,000 Americans into concentration camps. Name another president who did that. We've never had anything closer to an actual dictator in our nation's history.

Abraham Lincoln suspended habeas corpus.

I don't see why Polk is so high, same with McKinley and Andrew Johnson

Wilson, Eisenhower and JFK should be higher

My personal ranking of US Presidents.

What exactly did you rank? Their personalities? Surely not their job performance. Woodrow Wilson..seriously? He was the worst sack of shit that every worked in DC. A liar and racists and until recently, no one shit on the Constitution like old Woody.

Yes, I ranked their job performance (if that is what you want to call it).

The idea that Woodrow Wilson would be worse than say James Buchanan (who led the country slide into Civil war) is pretty laughable.

I don't see why Polk is so high, same with McKinley and Andrew Johnson

Wilson, Eisenhower and JFK should be higher

Why Polk is so high? Well, I'm thinking California, Texas, Oregon, and most that's in between.

McKinley was very important for the financial stability and the global expansion of the US.

Andrew Johnson for reconstruction and for holding out executive power against and overambitious Congress.

JFK, really? What did he accomplish?

FDR: Allowed Pearl Harbor to happen on his watch, FDR Depression was worse than the 7 Biblical Lean Years, Joe McCarthy warned us that US State and WH Staff reported directly to Moscow, handed China and Eastern Europe to his pals, history's 2 biggest mass murderers Mao and Uncle Joe, Tuskegee Syphilis Experiments, Japanese Internment, confiscated gold, ran over the Constitution

How is that Great except as in a Great Fuck Up?

Last edited:
FDR: Allowed Pearl Harbor to happen on his watch, FDR Depression was worse than the 7 Biblical Lean Years, Joe McCarthy warned us that US State and WH Staff reported directly to Moscow, handed China and Eastern Europe to his pals, history's 2 biggest mass murderers Mao and Uncle Joe, Tuskegee Syphilis Experiments, Japanese Internment, confiscated gold, ran over the Constitution

So many historical errors in that posting. I don't have that much time.

pick any one and we'll talk about it

You have to consider the times in which they governed. It's ridiculous to compare Abraham Lincoln, who presided over the worst crisis in the nation's history, to Bill Clinton, who was president in a time of peace, prosperity, and nothing-very-important-going-on. How can anyone tell how Clinton would have handled the Civil War?

For that reason, I find Strauss & Howe's four turning idea useful, and can say:

Best High-era president: George Washington

Worst High-era president: Grover Cleveland

Best Awakening-era president: Theodore Roosevelt

Worst Awakening-era president: John Quincy Adams

Best Unraveling-era president: Bill Clinton

Worse Unraveling-era president: James Buchanan

Best Crisis-era president: tie, Abraham Lincoln and Franklin D. Roosevelt

Worst Crisis-era president: Herbert Hoover

You have to consider the times in which they governed. It's ridiculous to compare Abraham Lincoln, who presided over the worst crisis in the nation's history, to Bill Clinton, who was president in a time of peace, prosperity, and nothing-very-important-going-on. How can anyone tell how Clinton would have handled the Civil War?

For that reason, I find Strauss & Howe's four turning idea useful, and can say:

Best High-era president: George Washington

Worst High-era president: Grover Cleveland

Best Awakening-era president: Theodore Roosevelt

Worst Awakening-era president: John Quincy Adams

Best Unraveling-era president: Bill Clinton

Worse Unraveling-era president: James Buchanan

Best Crisis-era president: tie, Abraham Lincoln and Franklin D. Roosevelt

Worst Crisis-era president: Herbert Hoover

That doesn't really fly. Clinton faced lots of crises and handled most of them pretty badly. But it is much too soon to judge his presidency.

Also this whole era-thing is completely bogus.

The idea that FDR "allowed" Pearl Harbor to happen is just as much a myth as the idea that George W. Bush "allowed" 9/11 to happen.

My personal ranking of US Presidents.

What exactly did you rank? Their personalities? Surely not their job performance. Woodrow Wilson..seriously? He was the worst sack of shit that every worked in DC. A liar and racists and until recently, no one shit on the Constitution like old Woody.

The idea that Woodrow Wilson would be worse than say James Buchanan (who led the country slide into Civil war) is pretty laughable.

Because WWI was a good idea? Read up on Wilson and get back to us. Nobody but a supporter of totalitarianism and warmongering (and overt racism) would rank Wilson anywhere but near the bottom.

The idea that FDR "allowed" Pearl Harbor to happen is just as much a myth as the idea that George W. Bush "allowed" 9/11 to happen.

We cracked the Japanese codes, Dear.

In December 1941 the German Army was practically banging on the gates of the Kremlin, so it was not looking good for the hometeam of many of FDR's closets advisers.

They let the attack happen because the Kremlin NEEDED us to be in the war.

Also, try to stay focused, this isn't about "Boosh" and I'll admit that the evidence that FDR allowed Pearl is circumstantial at best -- but what a set of circumstances!

Because WWI was a good idea? Read up on Wilson and get back to us. Nobody but a supporter of totalitarianism and warmongering (and overt racism) would rank Wilson anywhere but near the bottom.

Have you actually read any serious historical works on Wilson?

In December 1941 the German Army was practically banging on the gates of the Kremlin, so it was not looking good for the hometeam of many of FDR's closets advisers.

Also, try to stay focused, this isn't about "Boosh" and I'll admit that the evidence that FDR allowed Pearl is circumstantial at best -- but what a set of circumstances!

For your information: I'm not your dear.

Somehow you seem to overlook the little fact that it is the Japanese who attacked. And they decided to do this (and well before december 1941 I might add).

There is absolutely no evidence (circumstantial or otherwise) indicating that FDR "allowed" Pearl Harbor to happen. Just a myth. I prefer real history.

He read Glenn Beck

Yes I have, extensively. As a student of Classical Liberalism, I have sought to understand America's movement away from individual liberty and towards increased central planning. Certainly Wilson is among the president's that did more than others to usher us down that path. I've studied Wilson because I know the importance of rule #1: know thy enemy.

That Wilson was a racist fuck of the worst sort is just icing on the cake.

For your information: I'm not your dear.

Somehow you seem to overlook the little fact that it is the Japanese who attacked. And they decided to do this (and well before december 1941 I might add).

There is absolutely no evidence (circumstantial or otherwise) indicating that FDR "allowed" Pearl Harbor to happen. Just a myth. I prefer real history.

Oh sure there's plenty of evidence: stacking the aircraft like firewood, sending the AA teams home, having the carriers out of Sunday maneuvers AWAY from the incoming strike force, standing down from high alert status

Forum List

Back