ranking US Presidents

Artevelde

Mar 20, 2012
Brussels, Belgium
My personal ranking of US Presidents. I didn't include any Presidents who were in office less than 20 years ago (too early to judge) and I also left out William Henry Harrison, Zachary Taylor and James Garfield because they served for too brief a period to judge.

Abraham Lincoln
Franklin D. Roosevelt
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Theodore Roosevelt
Ronald Reagan
Lyndon B. Johnson
James Knox Polk
Harry Truman
William McKinley
James Monroe
John Adams
Woodrow Wilson
Dwight Eisenhower
William Howard Taft
Grover Cleveland
Calvin Coolidge
James Madison
John Quincy Adams
Rutherford B. Hayes
Andrew Johnson
Andrew Jackson
Chester Alan Arthur
Benjamin Harrison
Herbert Hoover
Ulysses S. Grant
Martin Van Buren
John Tyler
Franklin Pierce
John F. Kennedy
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
Jimmy Carter
Warren Gamaliel Harding
Millard Fillmore
James Buchanan

FDR should be dead last on that list.

I disagree. He made the US into the World Power that it is today, guided it through one of its greatest domestic crises, etc.

Reagan above Eisenhower, Truman and Nixon? How?

Reagan set the mould for the whole era after him. He also was a truly innovative President who changed the direction of the country. Not to mention the fact that he turned around the crisis of confidence for which Richard Nixon (among others) was responsible.

Truman and Eisenhower were strong Presidents, but they didn't really alter the direction of the country they inherited

I disagree. He made the US into the World Power that it is today, guided it through one of its greatest domestic crises, etc.

Reagan set the mould for the whole era after him. He also was a truly innovative President who changed the direction of the country. Not to mention the fact that he turned around the crisis of confidence for which Richard Nixon (among others) was responsible.

Truman and Eisenhower were strong Presidents, but they didn't really alter the direction of the country they inherited

I think Ford changed the lack of confidence, Reagan slept his way through the Presidency, and BOOM went the debt. I see Nixon as starting the downfall of the USSR, and showing China how much better our economic system is. Truman connected with the American people as one of them. He fought in WWII at age 29, WORKED his way up. Reagan made B grade movies.

I think Ford changed the lack of confidence, Reagan slept his way through the Presidency, and BOOM went the debt. I see Nixon as starting the downfall of the USSR, and showing China how much better our economic system is. Truman connected with the American people as one of them. He fought in WWII at age 29, WORKED his way up. Reagan made B grade movies.

Ford did absolutely nothing to bring back confidence and was a very weak President, as was Carter.

Nixon did the opposite of causing the downfall of the USSR. He was the main proponent of detente and learning to live with a Soviet Union that always would be there. It took Reagan to imagine again the possibility that this would not be so.

As for Truman, he fought in WWI, NOT WWII. Truman, by the way, was often very unpopular and connected with the American people a whole lot less than Reagan.

Ford did absolutely nothing to bring back confidence and was a very weak President, as was Carter.

Nixon did the opposite of causing the downfall of the USSR. He was the main proponent of detente and learning to live with a Soviet Union that always would be there. It took Reagan to imagine again the possibility that this would not be so.

As for Truman, he fought in WWI, NOT WWII. Truman, by the way, was often very unpopular and connected with the American people a whole lot less than Reagan.

Correct, Truman fought in WWI; I never connected with Reagan, nor his DEBT. Reagan POSED and spent, not much else.

Correct, Truman fought in WWI; I never connected with Reagan, nor his DEBT. Reagan POSED and spent, not much else.

I disagree. The whole of US politics was different after Reagan, and frankly I'm pretty sure Bill Clinton and Barack Obama would agree with that.

He burdened all succeeding generations with unsustainable expenses. Most damningly, he threw over 100,000 Americans into concentration camps. Name another president who did that. We've never had anything closer to an actual dictator in our nation's history.

My personal ranking of US Presidents.

What exactly did you rank? Their personalities? Surely not their job performance. Woodrow Wilson..seriously? He was the worst sack of shit that every worked in DC. A liar and racists and until recently, no one shit on the Constitution like old Woody.

I'd put both Nixon & Truman higher than Reagan; FDR seems a bit high but Buchanan is correct at dead last, for now.

Nixon caused one of the most serious constitutional crises and wasn't very succesful domestically.

Truman was a strong President, but Reagan had a much greater personal impact.

Nixon's crisis was ultimately personal, not constitutional, and he was very successful domestically.

I'd put both Nixon & Truman higher than Reagan; FDR seems a bit high but Buchanan is correct at dead last, for now.

Nixon caused one of the most serious constitutional crises and wasn't very succesful domestically.

Nixon's crisis was ultimately personal, not constitutional, and he was very successful domestically.

And in foreign affairs.

Nixon forced certain businesses to provide health care coverage. A monumental screw up.

Forum List

Back