Ranking America

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
The US is Number One in:

- highest percentage of citizens in prison
- higest percentage of citizens who believe in angels
- highest military spending (as much as the next 26 nations combined)
- highest rate of pollution from non-methane VOCs (volatile organic componds)
- highest oil consumption per capita
- most species of extinct trees
- largest energy importer
- most threatened fish species
- highest per capita health costs

Ranking of 1 « Ranking America

These are slightly random, but what impression can we draw of the US from these statistics?

- highest percentage of citizens in prison - Need harsher penalties for offenders.

- higest percentage of citizens who believe in angels - We are a Christian Nation - regardless of what the POTUS thinks.

- highest military spending (as much as the next 26 nations combined) - Best military in the world.

- highest rate of pollution from non-methane VOCs (volatile organic componds) - More people fortunate enough to have cars than any in the world

- highest oil consumption per capita - See Above

- most species of extinct trees - More importantly most abortions in the world - Now that is a reason to be upset!

- largest energy importer - About time we maximize our own and stop all the importing.

- most threatened fish species - Again, most threatened fetuses - must more serious problem!!

- highest per capita health costs - best health care - needs reformed for certain - doesn't need to gov't to take it over.

There are my impressions!

The US is Number One in:

These are slightly random, but what impression can we draw of the US from these statistics?

That the US is somewhat less boring than Finland? :lol:

- highest per capita health costs - best health care - needs reformed for certain - doesn't need to gov't to take it over.

Since when did 'most expensive' = 'best'.

Certainly many people in the US have access to first class healthcare in the US - but we also know tens of millions of people do not.

I didn't know that about abortions - interesting stat.

The US is Number One in:

thanks for the flame thread

Certainly many people in the US have access to first class healthcare in the US - but we also know tens of millions of people do not.

Well, China would be first, but when you have stiff penalties people tend to not break the law. --- I'm not suggesting that as a new law...

We easily have the best health care in the world. More expensive doesn't equate to best - but we have choices in medicine. If we don;t like our doctor we can go to another one. In some places in europe --- let's say your wife is pregnant she is assigned a midwife (not a doctor) by the gov't. You go to where that midwife practices -- no choice in the matter whatsoever. That is one method of lowering the cost of medicine.

I had a back surgery about 5 years ago. I selected the doctor in a different city than I live in because I knew he was a great surgeon (I'm in the field myself), I had that choice.

It isn't a flame thread. It is a wake up call. Just the latest one. Sane Americans and concerned foreigners have been trying to wake half the country for decades.

We easily have the best health care in the world

Those with health insurance do. Those without do not. This is called 'rationing'.

In some places in europe --- let's say your wife is pregnant she is assigned a midwife (not a doctor) by the gov't

Where in Europe does this happen?

I've never heard anything remotely like it.

Well, China would be first, but when you have stiff penalties people tend to not break the law. --- I'm not suggesting that as a new law...

We easily have the best health care in the world. More expensive doesn't equate to best - but we have choices in medicine. If we don;t like our doctor we can go to another one. In some places in europe --- let's say your wife is pregnant she is assigned a midwife (not a doctor) by the gov't. You go to where that midwife practices -- no choice in the matter whatsoever. That is one method of lowering the cost of medicine.

I had a back surgery about 5 years ago. I selected the doctor in a different city than I live in because I knew he was a great surgeon (I'm in the field myself), I had that choice.

You are a surgeon?

thanks for the flame thread

It's not intended as a flame thread, but I also admit it is a bit tongue in cheek.

Of course the US is also #1 in a lot of great things - but some of these stats came up in the TV show "Newsroom" and I thought they made interesting discussion.

As always - there are equally as many shit things one could say about Finland!

Our prison population indicates that something is terribly terribly wrong with our society.

Either our governments are too harsh OR our society has so disenfranchised so many people that they turn to crime.

I think, what's really going on, our society's failure to give people hope is creating a criminal class.

Our prison population indicates that something is terribly terribly wrong with our society.

Either our governments are too harsh OR our society has so disenfranchised so many people that they turn to crime.

I think, what's really going on, our society's failure to give people hope is creating a criminal class.

blame the victim

We easily have the best health care in the world

Those with health insurance do. Those without do not. This is called 'rationing'.

In some places in europe --- let's say your wife is pregnant she is assigned a midwife (not a doctor) by the gov't

Where in Europe does this happen?

I've never heard anything remotely like it.

I don't know where you guys get this notion that people w/o insurance get "rationing". Somebody without insurance shows up in any hospital I've ever worked at (7 in total), they get the EXACT same care as a person with insurance. In fact, they treat the ER like it was a 24 hour clinic and don;t even have to wait for an appointment like I do.

They get the same CT I would, the same blood tests, the same doctor, and the same emergency surgeon I would.

They can often even get into top facilities for treatment that I can't because of charity programs (which I would never qualify for).

They get better care than the vast majority of people the world!!!

You guys were sold a lie! We need to make thing more cost effective. THAT is the truth! I wish you could poll 90% of the people in the healthcare profession rather than hear a politicians version of reality.

I will try to find out where the midwife thing is. I'll have to ask the doc who told me about it.

I don't know where you guys get this notion that people w/o insurance get "rationing". Somebody without insurance shows up in any hospital I've ever worked at (7 in total), they get the EXACT same care as a person with insurance. In fact, they treat the ER like it was a 24 hour clinic and don;t even have to wait for an appointment like I do.

They get the same CT I would, the same blood tests, the same doctor, and the same emergency surgeon I would.

They can often even get into top facilities for treatment that I can't because of charity programs (which I would never qualify for).

They get better care than the vast majority of people the world!!!

You guys were sold a lie! We need to make thing more cost effective. THAT is the truth! I wish you could poll 90% of the people in the healthcare profession rather than hear a politicians version of reality.

I will try to find out where the midwife thing is. I'll have to ask the doc who told me about it.

They why would anyone buy health insurance?

I know the answer, but I'm curious to hear your take on it.

Forum List

Back