That's the thing with Star Wars. They have had some truly great actors. But George Lucas can't do dialogue. Great actors sound like they are just reading off a script

Natalie Portman has done some great work. But her Princess Amadala had no depth of emotion. Her love scenes with Anakin were just laughable

I'm not going to defend the prequels, they are awful. (But better than the sequels.)

The Original Trilogy, on the other hand, were groundbreaking.

and here's the thing. Movies are often snapshots of their time. If you released Star Wars today, people would be bored with it. The same could be said of Casablanca. If they made that today, you'd have a big machine gun battle at the end and Bogey would bang the female lead, because that's what audiences would expect.

Who doesn’t want to watch C-Span in Space.

Let us know when you get done trolling.

That's the thing with Star Wars. They have had some truly great actors. But George Lucas can't do dialogue. Great actors sound like they are just reading off a script

Natalie Portman has done some great work. But her Princess Amadala had no depth of emotion. Her love scenes with Anakin were just laughable

I'm not going to defend the prequels, they are awful. (But better than the sequels.)

The Original Trilogy, on the other hand, were groundbreaking.

and here's the thing. Movies are often snapshots of their time. If you released Star Wars today, people would be bored with it. The same could be said of Casablanca. If they made that today, you'd have a big machine gun battle at the end and Bogey would bang the female lead, because that's what audiences would expect.

Who doesn’t want to watch C-Span in Space.

Let us know when you get done trolling.
I loved Star Wars when it first hit the screen. Never saw anything like it
When Empire Strikes Back came out, it was another triumph ........Darth Vader is Luke's father?
The Return of the Ewoks was just corny

The series has been hard to watch since

I loved Star Wars when it first hit the screen. Never saw anything like it
When Empire Strikes Back came out, it was another triumph ........Darth Vader is Luke's father?
The Return of the Ewoks was just corny

The series has been hard to watch since

Okay, I can see that.

I think it might have to do more with how the brain works, though. You simply can't get the same thrill through repetition.

I see a lot of movies in a given year, or I did before I got bogged down managing a business. And frankly, movies don't move me in my 50's the way they moved me in my teens.

The first time I saw Star Wars in a Swiss movie theater with my friends in Zurich. It was in English with German subtitles.

They all pretty much suck

Bad scripts, bad dialogue, horrible acting

I disagree. Empire is a nearly perfect movie in its dialog, acting and script.

If the acting was so bad, why did Harrison Ford go on to become essentially the John Wayne of my generation? Star Wars made Harrison Ford a household name.

If the dialog was so bad, then why has so much of it entered our national culture, with terms like "Jedi Mind Trick" and so on.

The original Trilogy was like lightening in a bottle. It caught the public imagination at a time when we needed it.

I think the prequels and sequels are a victim of it's success. the OT changed how movies are made and marketed, to the point that New Star Wars movies couldn't live up to the OT, even with better actors better special effects.

That said, I TRULY hate the sequels. Disney could fuck up a wet dream.

Well stated (might be the only time I give you that complement [emoji12])

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Forum List

Back