Ranger Shoots Club-Wielding Camper to Death After Call About Domestic Disturbance

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
CRATER LAKE, Ore. (AP) - A camper brandished a club and threatened to kill two park rangers, then was shot dead by one of them, a park spokesman said Thursday. The man encountered the rangers as they answered a call about a domestic disturbance at a campground at Crater Lake National Park after dark Wednesday, said park spokesman Mac Brock.

When the rangers tried to talk to the man, he became increasingly hostile and wandered around the campsite despite orders to stay still, Brock said.

"Still brandishing the club, still ignoring warnings to stop, he directly approached the rangers and threatened to kill them," Brock said.

When the man came within 10 feet of one of the rangers, the ranger used pepper spray, but the man didn't stop, and the second ranger shot him twice, Brock said.

The man, whose name was withheld pending notification of next of kin, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Tim Hughes and his family from San Demas, Calif., were camping nearby.

"This guy was way out of control," said Hughes, whose wife and children were inside their trailer at the time. "They did all they could to try to get the guy to cooperate, but he was just gone. I think he must have been on narcotics, because he didn't exhibit rational behavior."

The rangers remained on duty, but were not in the field. Their names were not released.

Brock said the shooting was the first he had heard of in 12 years at the park. Shootings in national parks are rare, occurring about every 10 years, said David Barna, the National Park Service's chief of public affairs in Washington, D.C.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGB7OWQTPBE.html

we're obviously missing ALOT of information. Why did the guy threaten to kill them? Did the rangers provoke him or did he come to them and threaten them? Why would you fear for your life with 2 park rangers against 1 man with a club?

Lots of info missing.

insein said:
we're obviously missing ALOT of information. Why did the guy threaten to kill them? Did the rangers provoke him or did he come to them and threaten them? Why would you fear for your life with 2 park rangers against 1 man with a club?

Lots of info missing.

however while working the Mexican border as a Patrol Officer way back around 1977...I had a similar incident...My partner and I were separated trying to interdict a "Coyote" who had just brought in about 6 illegals through a hole in the fence..."San Luis,Arizona" The coyote, a young Mexican about 17 years of age ran toward my patrol vehicle and threw a football size rock through my windshield...I exited the vehicle and notified my partner about 100 yards away... at the time... via radio....the "Coyote then ran towards me with a baseball size rock in his hand...I drew down and gave the order in Spanish..."Alto"...he kept comming...so I yelled "Alto Puto" and dropped my sites to his croutch area...needless to say he dropped the rock and hightailed it for the hole in the fence...
After my supervisor reviewed the report...he was mad as hell that my vehicle windshield had been damaged...so he took me over to the Mexican side of the border and he confronted the Mexican Federalies, as his wife was a Mexican citizen...it so happened that the Mexican Fedralies had caught the Coyote on his return through the hole in the fence...I identified him as the perp...damn if they did not beat the shit out of him...in front of both of us...The moral to this story is the coyote saved his Cahunas on our side of the border but not his! :crutch:

Forum List

Back