Rangel Used PAC Money for Legal Defense

loosecannon

May 7, 2007
Charles%20Rangel_397x224.jpg

Congressman Charles Rangel, whose ethics trial starts tomorrow, appears to have improperly used political-action committee money to pay for his defense.....

Rangel tapped his National Leadership PAC for $293,000 to pay his main legal-defense team this year. He took another $100,000 from the PAC in 2009 to pay lawyer Lanny Davis. Two legal experts told The Post such spending is against House rules. "It's a breach of congressional ethics," one campaign-finance lawyer said.

Washington, DC, political lawyer Cleta Mitchell said there is "no authority for a member to use leadership PAC funds as a slush fund to pay for personal or official expenses." Leadership PACs are typically used by politicians to donate money to other candidates.

But Rangel seems to have run afoul of House ethics rules. Lawmakers are generally allowed to use campaign cash to pay their lawyers, but this is limited to money in their personal campaign committee and they must ask permission first, the campaign-finance lawyer said. "The only campaign funds that a member may use to pay for congressional expenses are funds of his or her principal campaign committee -- not the funds of a leadership PAC or a multicandidate committee," according to the House Ethics Manual.

Rangel Used PAC Money for Legal Defense - FoxNews.com

An eight-member ethics subcommittee of four Democrats and four Republicans will convene at 9 a.m. to hear the 13 charges. They include failure to disclose and pay taxes on his vacation home in the Dominican Republic; his use of a rent-regulated Harlem apartment as a campaign office; and using congressional stationery to raise money for the Rangel Center at City College.

This should be a slam dunk.

just out of curiosity, it says failure to pay taxes on home in the Dominican Republic as one of the offenses....

DO we have to pay taxes on homes we may own in a foreign country????

that part confuses me...

Charles%20Rangel_397x224.jpg

Congressman Charles Rangel, whose ethics trial starts tomorrow, appears to have improperly used political-action committee money to pay for his defense.....

Rangel tapped his National Leadership PAC for $293,000 to pay his main legal-defense team this year. He took another $100,000 from the PAC in 2009 to pay lawyer Lanny Davis. Two legal experts told The Post such spending is against House rules. "It's a breach of congressional ethics," one campaign-finance lawyer said.

Washington, DC, political lawyer Cleta Mitchell said there is "no authority for a member to use leadership PAC funds as a slush fund to pay for personal or official expenses." Leadership PACs are typically used by politicians to donate money to other candidates.

But Rangel seems to have run afoul of House ethics rules. Lawmakers are generally allowed to use campaign cash to pay their lawyers, but this is limited to money in their personal campaign committee and they must ask permission first, the campaign-finance lawyer said. "The only campaign funds that a member may use to pay for congressional expenses are funds of his or her principal campaign committee -- not the funds of a leadership PAC or a multicandidate committee," according to the House Ethics Manual.

Rangel Used PAC Money for Legal Defense - FoxNews.com

An eight-member ethics subcommittee of four Democrats and four Republicans will convene at 9 a.m. to hear the 13 charges. They include failure to disclose and pay taxes on his vacation home in the Dominican Republic; his use of a rent-regulated Harlem apartment as a campaign office; and using congressional stationery to raise money for the Rangel Center at City College.

This should be a slam dunk.

LMAO!! Guess what? Do you think the ethics committee is going to bring down the roof on themselves?? When you start looking at PAC spending $100,000.00 and $59,000.00 by two members on the right, do you really think anything Rangle did is a big deal? LMAO!!

Go slam this!!! Beltway bacchanal: Congress lives high on the contributor's dime?By Ken Silverstein (Harper's Magazine)

Last edited:
just out of curiosity, it says failure to pay taxes on home in the Dominican Republic as one of the offenses....

that part confuses me...

I thought maybe Charlie was going to be indicted for high crimes and misdemeanors. Now he's just being accused of what by whom? I won't say innocent until proven guilty, because I'm not by nature, a conservative hypocrite. :eusa_whistle:

that part confuses me...

He may owe taxes in the DR, but it doesn't mean squat as a US offense or DR offense, because many people own land in the DR and do not pay taxes.

And yes, you would have to pay taxes, perhaps, in another foreign country if you own property there. Depends on the country. Some countys are tax free, Germany has a one time property tax, and others are no different than the US. So when you consider a Caribbean property, or Central America, buyer beware of taxes.

http://www.thedominicanrepublic.net/RealEstate/page2.html

Last edited:

that part confuses me...

No, it is just more rightwing winding. Did they impeach Clinton for a BJ? :lol:

It was the democratic house ethics committee that brought Rangel up on charges!

that part confuses me...

how much tax payer money was wasted on hunting down every accusation against either Clinton? they went after the first lady.

right wingnuts have no conscience or ethics. Can you imagine lefties as bad as some are, funding millions of dollars to get the wife of a GOP President?

that part confuses me...

only if they represent income.

that part confuses me...

wow! charges! what is the sentence would propose on charges filed?

Yup.. no doubt... Charlie's an angel...

:bsflag:...............Sheeezz

Last edited:

that part confuses me...

I made myself a little clearer, so go back and read the post again. Sorry.... :)

that part confuses me...

how much tax payer money was wasted on hunting down every accusation against either Clinton? they went after the first lady.

right wingnuts have no conscience or ethics. Can you imagine lefties as bad as some are, funding millions of dollars to get the wife of a GOP President?

It was certainly the beginning of the end for America.

It was certainly the beginning of the end for America.

they went after the wife of Mike Dukakis, the wife of Carter, the wife of Clinton, the wife of Obama...

that part confuses me...

I think the original beef was he failed to pay taxes on rental income from the property he owns there. But my knowledge of the tax laws is on a par with my understanding of nuclear physics, aeronautical engineering, what makes women tick, etc.

Forum List

Back