Rangel takes leave

I know someone who spent six months in jail for tax evasion. I would bet his creative accounting didn't come close to Rengel's.

Aren't there several members of the Black Caucus under ethics investigations right now? Might be slim pickins...

Yup, and I know two brothers the same: came up with fraudulent 'tax shelters' that cost them years in the clink.

And we know that he's guilty, 'cause guilty feet ain't got no rhythm.

So, what are the chances of this powerful Congressman winding up with a ball and chain?

And you know that slim left town.

Rangel has his moments. And occasionally I heave learned from him.

I remember back during the Clinton administration, there were boatloads of Haitians trying to get the U.S. But before a decision to return all to Haiti, there was one overloaded boatload sitting in the Atlantic awaiting decision whether they would be turned back or allowed to come ashore. There was much discussion about what policy should be adopted.

In an interview Congressman Rangel commented: "If the people in that boat were white, we wouldn't be having this conversation."

After I got over my initial bristle at what appeared to be a racist statement, I had to admit he was right.

Wanting a black person rather than the most qualified person as chair of the Ways and Means Committee, however, IS racist and I can't find anything right about that.

Also, I wonder when the last time was that the Democrats suggested that an errant Republican be allowed to temporarily step down from an appointed position pending an investigation by the ethics committee? Seems to me that they usually demand that the Republican resign, period.

Charlie Rangel represents all that is wrong with Congress. Glad that corrupt, inept boob has stepped aside to allow an actual leader to take over the W&M Committee.

This should be remembered about Representative Rangel, as well as his flaws:

"Rangel then enlisted in the United States Army, and served from 1948 to 1952.[9] During the Korean War, he was a member of the all-black 503rd Field Artillery Battalion in the 2nd Infantry Division.[10] In late November 1950, this unit was caught up in heavy fighting in North Korea as part of the U.N. forces retreat from the Yalu River. In the Battle of Kunu-Ri, Rangel was part of a vehicle column that was trapped and attacked by the Chinese Army.[10] In the subzero cold, Rangel was injured by shrapnel from a Chinese shell.[11] Some U.S. soldiers were being taken prisoner, but others looked to Rangel, who though only a private first class had a reputation for leadership in the unit. Rangel led some 40 men from his unit, during three days of freezing weather, out of the Chinese encirclement; nearly half of the battalion was killed in the overall battle.[12] Rangel was awarded a Purple Heart for his wounds and the Bronze Star with Valor for his actions in the face of death.[13] He was also awarded the Presidential Unit Citation,[14] the Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, and three battle stars.[13] In 2000, Rangel reflected with CBS News that "Since Kunu Ri – and I mean it with all my heart, I have never, never had a bad day."[10]
[ame=http://askville.amazon.com/Charles-Bernard-Charlie-Rangel-received-medal-Korea-war/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=58128762]Who is Charles Bernard "Charlie" Rangel and did he received a medal after Korea war?[/ame]

Each of us may choose how to view the Congressman, but with all of the information known.

I salute what he did for his country.

Me too BUT....I don't believe I denegrated his military record at all. Bravery on the field of battle does not translate to bravery on the floor of Congress...quite the contrary with Rangle who now thinks he's entitled to do what he pleases and should never have to suffer the consequences of his actions.

He WAS a fine example for all African Americans to look up to until he got too big for his britches.

He got off easy. If he had an 'R' by his name i'm sure Pelosi would have handled things much differently. The Democrats have done all the awful things they accused Republicans of doing and much more. Absolute Power really does Corrupt Absolutely. Pelosi & Reid gotta go. Make 2010 count people.

Forum List

Back