Randy Johnson retires after 22 seasons

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Randy Johnson retires after 22 seasons - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

SAN FRANCISCO (AP)—Randy Johnson(notes) looked so awkward on the mound early in his career, that shaggy hair dangling down his neck as he fired a blazing fastball in every direction but the strike zone.

Now, after 22 major league seasons, The Big Unit is walking away from baseball as one of the game’s greatest pitchers.

The 6-foot-10 Johnson announced his retirement on a conference call Tuesday, a decision that had been expected from the overpowering left-hander who reached 300 wins last June.

A five-time Cy Young Award winner, the 46-year-old Johnson accomplished just about everything in his remarkable career that a player hopes for in baseball.

He owns a World Series ring and co-MVP honors, and was a 10-time All-Star. He threw two no-hitters, including a perfect game, and ranks second on the career strikeout list.

Johnson finishes with a record of 303-166 and 4,875 strikeouts in 4,135 1-3 innings for Montreal, Seattle, Houston, Arizona, the New York Yankees and San Francisco. His strikeouts are the most by a left-hander and second to Nolan Ryan’s 5,714.

Don't know about the rest of you but if I were voting for the HoF then Randy is an easy yes.

Makes me wish I made a poll now. :lol:

I remember seeing him pitch several times at Tiger Stadium when he was with the M's. The combination of him and Junior was always worth a trip to the ballpark.

Wonder who will be the next to reach 300. Big gap right now with other active pitchers.

I remember when he came up with the Expos. Tall, awkward, gangly, fast as hell.....but was all over the place. He started so slow you never would have pegged him for Hall of Fame.
Now, he is one of the best pitchers I ever saw

Oh yeah, definite Hall of Fame.

Last of the ridiculous high stamina high strike out fellas to.

He also stayed clear of the steroid scandal somehow.

His numbers would have been even more ridiculous if he avoided that starting pitching hole the Yankees are.

Forum List

Back