random musings on bananas past and present

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
40 years give or take...i worked in a drugstore at the soda fountain...we made banana splits..i remember...one of us...would walk to the grocery on mondays and fridays to get bananas. we never had to toss any or waste any...now i buy bananas that are green....i mean hard and green...the next day...soft with brown spots....i have ask the produce guy..what is happening to the bananas...he says they are "gassed" ...so anyone got a clue what they are doing to the bananas?

Must only be your bananas.. If I buy hard and green, they're hard and green the next day, and finally start to soften after 2-3 days.

Maybe you simply have mutant bananas.

Bananas produced for export consume the largest volume of chemicals of any crop except cotton and the use of over 400 agrochemicals in the banana industry is – literally - fatal for both workers and their environment. Pesticides are also used because supermarkets, multinational companies and in turn EU regulation demand perfect looking bananas without spots or blemishes. Companies claim that cosmetically perfect uniform looking bananas are what consumers want! It has nothing to do with the taste.

Banana Link

My fiancee has amusing friends. One of them turned to her as she was eating a banana and said, "I can't eat a banana in public... they're so... phallic."

I wish my banana would stay hard (and I can learn to live with it green) for 2-3 days

What gas are they using on these bananas, anyway?

I'm glad this topic was brought up. This happens to me as well and our bananas are local (well they're from Queensland and northern New South Wales) but I get the same thing. Two, maybe three days and I'm thinking they're only good for banna muffins.

Now If I knew how to bake banana muffins that would be okay but as it is I have to chuck the bloody things out. But I'll heed the wisdom here, buy them green.

My fiancee has amusing friends. One of them turned to her as she was eating a banana and said, "I can't eat a banana in public... they're so... phallic."

She should eat it like an ear of corn, then it's not so suggestive of fellatio :lol:

the rest of ya...got repped cause i had to spread some around to give it to diuretic...that is without a doubt one of the funniest things i have ever read....i will chuckle over this all night...so yall are not resting on your own laurels..but diuretic..and dont write me thank you notes...that is so damned junior league....

get a copy of fanny farmer cookbook...its good for all cooks...has a great banana bread recipe ...very simple....and good....

Last edited:

She should eat it like an ear of corn, then it's not so suggestive of fellatio :lol:

the rest of ya...got repped cause i had to spread some around to give it to diuretic...that is without a doubt one of the funniest things i have ever read....i will chuckle over this all night...so yall are resting on your own laurels..but diuretic..and dont write me thank you notes...that is so damned junior league....

sorry-- too late--send mine back please

the rest of ya...got repped cause i had to spread some around to give it to diuretic...that is without a doubt one of the funniest things i have ever read....i will chuckle over this all night...so yall are not resting on your own laurels..but diuretic..and dont write me thank you notes...that is so damned junior league....

get a copy of fanny farmer cookbook...its good for all cooks...has a great banana bread recipe ...very simple....and good....

Banana bread? Sounds good, thanks bones :)

I specailise in sophomoric humour by the way :D

o good one....now you deserve the rep....

but i hate what they are doing to bananas..i remember the scene in soylent green when the old guy...shares the last teaspoon of strawberry jam with heston....i feel like foods have lost a lot of taste...i object to not being able to buy non homenized milk...people dont realize what good food tastes like...so long have we been fed like cattle...inferior quailty at high prices...archer midland foundation is simply a fancy name ..for a big corporation..taking over farms....too much of our food production is done by large corps...not locally...one thing that may come of this economic downturn is people may go back to growing back yard gardens...people who have never had fresh corn have no clue what they are missing...corn begins to break down ..the sugar into starch within hours...of being picked...fresh corn can be eaten right off the cob right out of the garden....it is heaven...it is true...two things money cant buy...true love and homegrown maters

Forum List

Back