Random Law I'm torn on, poorly written OP :)

And I'm trying to say, Ben was just a man also. So is our Government, all men (and women). God can't Govern. Unalienable Rights were decided on by Enlightened Men who found them to be self-evident, but they're only self-evident for modern, enlightened man and not self-evident in ACTUAL nature, and so I conclude that our "unalienable" rights were decided upon by mere mortal, fallable, men. And if they can decide on which rights are (self evident or not, is a matter of opinion) unalienable, then they set a precedent for deciding.
Man created "god" in his own image, not the other way around. I've never been big on the "creator" stuff. We are the creator.
I'm just opining that I don't get scared of the big bad boogyman Government, because without it, chaos would occur. With it, chaos occurs, and people always want something to Protest. Some decide Corpos, some decide Government, but Corpos own Government so who's arguing for what, really. Live you life.
Know what it was which prompted you to create this thread?

It was that little, tiny, atrophied and nearly dead liberty lover you have locked in the glove box of the Cadilliac of life, screaming LET ME OUT! GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!

Get him out of the glove box and in the driver's seat, with your heart in the passenger seat holding the map, where it belongs.

I know what you're saying, but the most fucked up part of it is I'm not a "liberal" or "on the left" with my stances on many issues like "Message board" Conservatives like to presume simply because I'm not a hater on all things Obama. Just like I wasn't on Bush.

I don't know why people can't accept in their minds that SOME PEOPLE don't pick a side, they take things issue by issue and sometimes agree with a Politician's view, and sometimes disagree, and the schism created on message boards is that THAT notion is PROPOSTEROUS!! IF YOU LIKE OBAMA, YOU HATE THE FOUNDERS!

I don't believe in that dynamic, man. Of course I want Liberty, but I simply don't see the intrusiveness of a lot fo the things that are bitched about, looking at it with an even keel. I mean, LAW, at ALL, in and of itself is intrusive if you want to be 100% literal about it. Other than that, if I don't think gift cards should expire, and all other citizens don't think gift cards should expire, than i'm not really going to be "against" a law barring their expiration. What I WOULD BE totally against is FORCING Companies to sell them, to begin with.

But I'm neither for, n'or against this new law. I simply "agree" with it.
You are "torn" as you say, for a reason. You heard the muffled cries and shouts coming from the glove box.

Let that poor, atrophied and nearly dead liberty lover out of the glove box friend.

Really. And give him a bullhorn too.

Man created "god" in his own image, not the other way around. I've never been big on the "creator" stuff. We are the creator.Know what it was which prompted you to create this thread?

It was that little, tiny, atrophied and nearly dead liberty lover you have locked in the glove box of the Cadilliac of life, screaming LET ME OUT! GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!

Get him out of the glove box and in the driver's seat, with your heart in the passenger seat holding the map, where it belongs.

I know what you're saying, but the most fucked up part of it is I'm not a "liberal" or "on the left" with my stances on many issues like "Message board" Conservatives like to presume simply because I'm not a hater on all things Obama. Just like I wasn't on Bush.

I don't know why people can't accept in their minds that SOME PEOPLE don't pick a side, they take things issue by issue and sometimes agree with a Politician's view, and sometimes disagree, and the schism created on message boards is that THAT notion is PROPOSTEROUS!! IF YOU LIKE OBAMA, YOU HATE THE FOUNDERS!

I don't believe in that dynamic, man. Of course I want Liberty, but I simply don't see the intrusiveness of a lot fo the things that are bitched about, looking at it with an even keel. I mean, LAW, at ALL, in and of itself is intrusive if you want to be 100% literal about it. Other than that, if I don't think gift cards should expire, and all other citizens don't think gift cards should expire, than i'm not really going to be "against" a law barring their expiration. What I WOULD BE totally against is FORCING Companies to sell them, to begin with.

But I'm neither for, n'or against this new law. I simply "agree" with it.
You are "torn" as you say, for a reason. You heard the muffled cries and shouts coming from the glove box.

Let that poor, atrophied and nearly dead liberty lover out of the glove box friend.

Really. And give him a bullhorn too.

This is assuming that I don't understand the importance and complexity of Liberty. I do. But I also understand that it's not the 1700's anymore and we have things like Ponzi Schemes and Wallstreet Greed driving entire markets. I also understand that it's Capitalism itself that creates shady lobbying; thus shady Government. Tobacco, for instance: I mean, a cigarette glows under the fucking black light. sure, liberty says go ahead and kill yourself. But I thought Liberty only goes as far as infringing on others' liberty? Ok, so children at no fault of their own in smokers' homes? Who protects those children if parents hot box their places? How about Ciggies on school buses? How's about Ciggies in the crowd, at CYO Basketball games?

Without Ciggy Laws, Ciggies infringe on everyone at one point or another.

Same for food, should we have no FDA? If we should, how should we pay for that FDA? dOES THE FDA not need more employees when more foods come into existence, and more people eating them? Should a company be free to sell us something that will poison us in 25 years, unbenounced to us? I guess the FDA needs to grow as population and food industry does.

So, who pays for the FDA? Taxes do. Who collects and keeps track so that SOME swindling out of their taxes don't cause everyone ELSE's to go up? The IRS.

Loving Liberty is not a prerequisit for anti Government EVERYthing.

Last edited:
That's ridiculous. If you spend $20 on a gift card, in 5 years is won't be worth $20. The government causes inflation and then requires companies to take the hit. That's not right.

Actually, I got hit with a "DOT!", Homer Simpson style.

If you spend the $20 now, giving it to the business now, it's the consumer that takes the loss in spending it 5 years later, not the business. This is backward. I missed this and someone pointed it out to me I was like "DOT!!":eek:

Gift cards --the gift that says: "I don't really care enough to take the time to decide what to gift you."

Screw those cards.

If that's how you feel, just slip me the money, honey.

This morning on a Generic Radio news cast, I heard that the Government signed a law that Gift Cards have to be valid for at least 5 years.

A true story, I've actually had roughly 3 or 4 instances in my life where I argued with business managers to use my expired gift card, and I won each time. The argument? You were already paid for its use. That's basically it.

But............

I see the point of Conservatives where the Government seems to be meddling more and more-so. So, ok.

Are they little by little attempting to mandate a more serene society? I won't accept the "they just want control" theory, because many of these meddling Laws don't much give them power that they'll ever physically "realize."

I just..........I dunno. This Law got me thinking about bigger picture sort of stuff because I'm personally torn on its existence. What a convoluted, wishy washy OP. SAWWWWWWyyy. Discuss.....:eek:

lol.. the OP was fine.

But I don't understand why anyone would object to a law that prohibits companies from stealing from you.

If I pay for a gift card and give it to you as a gift, it should be the same as cash other than the limitation on where it can be spent (assuming its a store gift card and not an amex or visa gift card). Why should corporations be unjustly enriched by essentially co-opting the funds on the card?

This morning on a Generic Radio news cast, I heard that the Government signed a law that Gift Cards have to be valid for at least 5 years.

That's ridiculous. If you spend $20 on a gift card, in 5 years is won't be worth $20. The government causes inflation and then requires companies to take the hit. That's not right.
How are the companies taking a hit? They get the cash and then can raise prices. It's the person who invests in a gift card who loses out because of inflation.

I think that paper gift certificates should be outlawed and all gift certificates should be issued on small plastic credit cards with a magnetic stripe.

I want this law enacted, because gift cards fit better into my wallet, as opposed to those big bulky handwritten gift certificates that you have to fold up and that get ripped.

The hole in your argument:

It's still worth exactly $20

That $20 is what's not worth the same- the $10 item (or its to-date equivalent) now costs $35 dollars

Price inflation is (primarily) a result of monetary inflation. So, in effect, the longer you wait to use the $20 (which the company already received at its earlier value and invested/spent as it saw fit), the less you get for your initial payment. Longer waits are, therefore, better for the company, which I suspect is one reason (as well as wanting repeat business) I suspect the personal stories users mentioned regarding companies' willingness to accept the old cards represent, in all likelihood, the larger reality.

I don't see any need for this particular regulation, regardless of how well-intentioned it might be.

How are the companies taking a hit? They get the cash and then can raise prices. It's the person who invests in a gift card who loses out because of inflation.

That's true. The companies won't take a hit if their margins stay the same. Unfortunately, margins usually go down so both the company and the consumer will take a hit. And who's to blame? The government.

☭proletarian☭;2133638 said:

The hole in your argument:

It's still worth exactly $20

That $20 is what's not worth the same- the $10 item (or its to-date equivalent) now costs $35 dollars

Price inflation is (primarily) a result of monetary inflation. So, in effect, the longer you wait to use the $20 (which the company already received at its earlier value and invested/spent as it saw fit), the less you get for your initial payment. Longer waits are, therefore, better for the company, which I suspect is one reason (as well as wanting repeat business) I suspect the personal stories users mentioned regarding companies' willingness to accept the old cards represent, in all likelihood, the larger reality.

I don't see any need for this particular regulation, regardless of how well-intentioned it might be.

Not necessarily, as I just explained.

Forum List

Back