Randite producers mischaracterize Atlas Shrugged DVD

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
‘Atlas Shrugged’ film producers replacing 100,000 DVD’s after mischaracterizing Ayn Rand’s novel | The Ticket - Yahoo! News
The company behind the film Atlas Shrugged Part 1 is replacing 100,000 title sheets from the film's newly released DVD and Blue Ray versions because the copy writer incorrectly described the late Ayn Rand's 1957 novel, Atlas Shrugged, as a story of "self-sacrifice."

Put simply, that's like calling Michael Moore a tea partier.

In the words of Texas Gov. Rick Perry: Oops.

that movie wasn't budget-neutral either LOL (it didn't pay for itself ;) )

the rand whorship will be very embarrassing to them at some time in the future

They also mischaracterized David Zuckers "An American Carol" as a comedy.:lol:

‘Atlas Shrugged’ film producers replacing 100,000 DVD’s after mischaracterizing Ayn Rand’s novel | The Ticket - Yahoo! News
The company behind the film Atlas Shrugged Part 1 is replacing 100,000 title sheets from the film's newly released DVD and Blue Ray versions because the copy writer incorrectly described the late Ayn Rand's 1957 novel, Atlas Shrugged, as a story of "self-sacrifice."

Tough to make a good movie out of a lousy novel. It's got to be one of the most boring books ever written. I had to force myself to finish it to see what all the hoopla was about, but didn't find any. Besides being extremely repetitive, there isn't a single fully formed character in the book. They're all caricatures, totally noble or totally venal. You can't base a real life philosophy on an "ism" that's that far removed from reality.

Tough to make a good movie out of a lousy novel. It's got to be one of the most boring books ever written. I had to force myself to finish it to see what all the hoopla was about, but didn't find any. Besides being extremely repetitive, there isn't a single fully formed character in the book. They're all caricatures, totally noble or totally venal. You can't base a real life philosophy on an "ism" that's that far removed from reality.

for some reason its req'd reading for the college repubs :dunno: I read where alan Greenspan was one of her inner-circle too. You know, the guy who thought banks would regulate themselves :cuckoo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand#Later_years
Rand died of heart failure on March 6, 1982, at her home in New York City,[82] and was interred in the Kensico Cemetery, Valhalla, New York.[83] Rand's funeral was attended by some of her prominent followers, including Alan Greenspan. A six-foot floral arrangement in the shape of a dollar sign was placed near her casket

Last edited:
Atlas Productions is planning two more installments in the series, the second of which will be released next year.
Wow! I can't wait for the next installment. The first one was so good! This is great news that they are going ahead.

Ayn Rand was way ahead of Her time. Imagine.... an Atheist that believes in Conscience,Soul, Vision, Cause and Effect, Exceptional-ism. She is not worshiped, just greatly appreciated.

GaltSpeaking's Channel - YouTube

Ep. 16 "Nihilism"

Last edited:
The first movie lost money didn't it? So now they're going to dump good money after bad? That doesn't sound Randian to me :lol:
Atlas Shrugged: Part I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the film showed on only 32 screens and total ticket sales had not crossed the $5 million mark, recouping less than a quarter of the production budget.

Actually I thought it very tastefully done.

I like your concept though. If the Government stopped doing everything It lost money on..... Wow!!!

Great idea Dot Com!!! You are a Genius!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WWRD? I don't think she'd want people spending good money after bad or else Randism is a fraud ;)

You are big on 2 dimensional constructs, aren't you? :lol:

The first thing I would say about Rand, would be the importance of doing something you are bent on doing correctly, without compromise that has a corrupting influence. From that perspective, Part One of the Trilogy was a Great Success. You should forget all of the Negative Smear Tactics used against it by your Comrades in Arm's, Comrade Dot Com, and read the book yourself, see the movie through your own eyes. You can do it. I survived Animal Farm, the Novel and the Movie. :):):)

Remember "The Fountainhead", when Howard blew up a Housing Project because his Intellectual Property was stolen to construct it. That was a financial loss, no? I do not advocate blowing up, anything because of Treachery from Bureaucrats in high places, but she did in her novel. That would suggest that your premise is false. You should study up on her more. Reading "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged", would be a great place to start. For a Lady that grew up under and escaped Soviet Totalitarianism, as scarred as she was, she did pretty well for herself, huh.

I recently read something that summed her up well. She escaped Communist totalitarianism, but then advocated for oppression by an oligarchy.

I have to agree with others' take on the book: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! One of the most boring books I've ever had to force myself to read.

It's your loss, friend.

Atlas Shrugged is a novel by Ayn Rand, first published in 1957 in the United States. Rand's fourth and last novel, it was also her longest, and the one she considered to be her magnum opus in the realm of fiction writing.[1] Atlas Shrugged includes elements of mystery and science fiction,[2] and it contains Rand's most extensive statement of Objectivism in any of her works of fiction.

The book explores a dystopian United States where many of society's most productive citizens refuse to be exploited by increasing taxation and government regulations and disappear. They are led by John Galt. Galt describes the strike as "stopping the motor of the world" by withdrawing the minds that drive society's growth and productivity. In their efforts, these people "of the mind" hope to demonstrate that a world in which the individual is not free to create is doomed, that civilization cannot exist where every person is a slave to society and government, and that the destruction of the profit motive leads to the collapse of society. The protagonist, Dagny Taggart, sees society collapse around her as the government increasingly asserts control over all industry.

The novel's title is a reference to Atlas, a Titan of Greek mythology, who in the novel is described as "the giant who holds the world on his shoulders".[3] The significance of this reference is seen in a conversation between the characters Francisco d'Anconia and Hank Rearden, in which d'Anconia asks Rearden what sort of advice he would give to Atlas upon seeing that "the greater [the titan's] effort, the heavier the world bore down on his shoulders". With Rearden unable to answer, Francisco gives his own response: "To shrug".

The theme of Atlas Shrugged, as Rand described it, is "the role of man's mind in existence". The book explores a number of philosophical themes that Rand would subsequently develop into the philosophy of Objectivism.[4][5] It advocates the core tenets of Rand's philosophy of Objectivism and expresses her concept of human achievement. In doing so, it expresses many facets of Rand's philosophy, such as the advocacy of reason, individualism, capitalism, and the failures of government coercion.

Atlas Shrugged received largely negative reviews after its 1957 publication, but achieved enduring popularity and consistent sales in the following decades.

https://wikimediafoundation.org/w/i...r=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged

The reviews don't look promising AND if college repubs read it, I definitely aint interested. Here's a review:

Ayn Rand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Author Flannery O'Connor wrote in a letter to a friend that "The fiction of Ayn Rand is as low as you can get re fiction. I hope you picked it up off the floor of the subway and threw it in the nearest garbage pail."[133]

In the National Review, conservative author Whittaker Chambers called the book "sophomoric" and "remarkably silly". He described the tone of the book as "shrillness without reprieve" and accused Rand of supporting the same godless system as the Soviets, claiming "From almost any page of Atlas Shrugged, a voice can be heard, from painful necessity, commanding: 'To a gas chamber—go!"

The reviews don't look promising AND if college repubs read it, I definitely aint interested. Here's a review:

Ayn Rand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Author Flannery O'Connor wrote in a letter to a friend that "The fiction of Ayn Rand is as low as you can get re fiction. I hope you picked it up off the floor of the subway and threw it in the nearest garbage pail."[133]

In the National Review, conservative author Whittaker Chambers called the book "sophomoric" and "remarkably silly". He described the tone of the book as "shrillness without reprieve" and accused Rand of supporting the same godless system as the Soviets, claiming "From almost any page of Atlas Shrugged, a voice can be heard, from painful necessity, commanding: 'To a gas chamber—go!"

It's a Cop Out Dot Com. Is that how you got through school? Cliff Notes? Bad Reviews? You think that course is Intellectually Honest? It's not. The loss is yours, man. Fitting in has always been your priority I bet. Rand teaches Conscience is the Priority. I see why you all have trouble there.

I have to agree with others' take on the book: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! One of the most boring books I've ever had to force myself to read.

It's your loss, friend.

Atlas Shrugged is a novel by Ayn Rand, first published in 1957 in the United States. Rand's fourth and last novel, it was also her longest, and the one she considered to be her magnum opus in the realm of fiction writing.[1] Atlas Shrugged includes elements of mystery and science fiction,[2] and it contains Rand's most extensive statement of Objectivism in any of her works of fiction.

The book explores a dystopian United States where many of society's most productive citizens refuse to be exploited by increasing taxation and government regulations and disappear. They are led by John Galt. Galt describes the strike as "stopping the motor of the world" by withdrawing the minds that drive society's growth and productivity. In their efforts, these people "of the mind" hope to demonstrate that a world in which the individual is not free to create is doomed, that civilization cannot exist where every person is a slave to society and government, and that the destruction of the profit motive leads to the collapse of society. The protagonist, Dagny Taggart, sees society collapse around her as the government increasingly asserts control over all industry.

The novel's title is a reference to Atlas, a Titan of Greek mythology, who in the novel is described as "the giant who holds the world on his shoulders".[3] The significance of this reference is seen in a conversation between the characters Francisco d'Anconia and Hank Rearden, in which d'Anconia asks Rearden what sort of advice he would give to Atlas upon seeing that "the greater [the titan's] effort, the heavier the world bore down on his shoulders". With Rearden unable to answer, Francisco gives his own response: "To shrug".

The theme of Atlas Shrugged, as Rand described it, is "the role of man's mind in existence". The book explores a number of philosophical themes that Rand would subsequently develop into the philosophy of Objectivism.[4][5] It advocates the core tenets of Rand's philosophy of Objectivism and expresses her concept of human achievement. In doing so, it expresses many facets of Rand's philosophy, such as the advocacy of reason, individualism, capitalism, and the failures of government coercion.

Atlas Shrugged received largely negative reviews after its 1957 publication, but achieved enduring popularity and consistent sales in the following decades.

https://wikimediafoundation.org/w/i...r=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged

I know what it is. It's on my bookshelf.

Forum List

Back