Rand Paul's leverage with Mitt

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
National Review’s Robert Costa reported last night that Mitt Romney and Rand Paul had met privately for about 30 minutes in Washington. The speculation over what they might have discussed is mostly focused on this summer’s Republican convention, where delegates loyal (but not necessarily pledged) to Ron Paul will probably control a few hundred slots, with the potential to make some real trouble for Romney.

But as James Hohmann of Politico points out, the sit-down could have much broader, longer-term significance: If Romney ends up winning this year, Rand Paul will immediately become his most obvious threat for a 2016 primary challenge.

With 77-year-old Ron Paul heading off into retirement at the end of this year, Rand Paul is set to become the national face of the libertarian message associated with his family’s name. The assumption is that he’ll ultimately run for president, but the question is when. Unlike his father, Rand seems willing to modulate his message and rhetoric in a way that could expand his appeal within the Republican Party and make him a genuine threat to actually win state primaries and caucuses, something Ron still has never done.

Rand Paul

If Romney were to become President, which I don't see happening, then I don't think Rand will run against him in 2016. Rand is a team player, unlike his father.

National Review’s Robert Costa reported last night that Mitt Romney and Rand Paul had met privately for about 30 minutes in Washington. The speculation over what they might have discussed is mostly focused on this summer’s Republican convention, where delegates loyal (but not necessarily pledged) to Ron Paul will probably control a few hundred slots, with the potential to make some real trouble for Romney.

But as James Hohmann of Politico points out, the sit-down could have much broader, longer-term significance: If Romney ends up winning this year, Rand Paul will immediately become his most obvious threat for a 2016 primary challenge.

With 77-year-old Ron Paul heading off into retirement at the end of this year, Rand Paul is set to become the national face of the libertarian message associated with his family’s name. The assumption is that he’ll ultimately run for president, but the question is when. Unlike his father, Rand seems willing to modulate his message and rhetoric in a way that could expand his appeal within the Republican Party and make him a genuine threat to actually win state primaries and caucuses, something Ron still has never done.

Rand Paul

If Romney were to become President, which I don't see happening, then I don't think Rand will run against him in 2016. Rand is a team player, unlike his father.

Yeah I didn't get that either. Parties don't challenge their own incumbent in between terms, so what would make politico think Rand would challenge Romney? If he did he would get zero support from the establishment and the whole idea would be a moot point altogether.

That depends on what Mitt does with his first term. I could easily be swayed away from himif he strays too far off course from his promises. He doesn't have to succeed but if he doesn't at least try I will be done. My support for Romney is tepid at this point.

That depends on what Mitt does with his first term. I could easily be swayed away from himif he strays too far off course from his promises. He doesn't have to succeed but if he doesn't at least try I will be done. My support for Romney is tepid at this point.

My, what low expectations.

It's called reality dumbass. If he doesn't have a willing congress I'm supposed to hold that against him? What say you about Obamas multitude of broken promises when he had a willing congress for two years?

Rand Paul

Romney will win, Rand will probably challenge him in 16...

Forget that "team player" nonsense.... I wouldn't play ball with republicans (at least the RINO's) or democrats (maybe the Blue Dogs)....

What RINO's democrats/progressives want is totally out of line....

Those fools only care about themselves, their ego, reputation and their image amongst their elitist peers and voting base.

Ron and Rand Paul represent the common working class individual (as do all libertarians) and the Bill of Rights which is something neither the RINO's or democrat/progressives care much about.

It's called reality dumbass. If he doesn't have a willing congress I'm supposed to hold that against him? What say you about Obamas multitude of broken promises when he had a willing congress for two years?

That's what I thought. You're an empty headed jackass with nothing more than one liners to offer.

Sad shallow existence

Rand Paul

Yeah I didn't get that either. Parties don't challenge their own incumbent in between terms, so what would make politico think Rand would challenge Romney? If he did he would get zero support from the establishment and the whole idea would be a moot point altogether.

Well Buchanan challenged Bush, but I don't think Rand would do it to Romney. Just remember he wasn't going to run for Senate if Bunning hadn't retired.

Rand Paul

Forget that "team player" nonsense.... I wouldn't play ball with republicans (at least the RINO's) or democrats (maybe the Blue Dogs)....

Those fools only care about themselves, their ego, reputation and their image amongst their elitist peers and voting base.

Ron and Rand Paul represent the common working class individual (as do all libertarians) and the Bill of Rights which is something neither the RINO's or democrat/progressives care much about.

Rand, as far as I've seen so far, is much less willing to buck the party than his father is. It wouldn't endear him to the party if he ran against Romney in 2016.

But that's you though. We're talking about the party establishment actually supporting something like that. If Rand tried to oppose a president Romney in 2016 he would get NOTHING from the GOP other than a kick in the ass out the door.

Rand Paul

Well Buchanan challenged Bush, but I don't think Rand would do it to Romney. Just remember he wasn't going to run for Senate if Bunning hadn't retired.

That was a little different though, he wasn't a sitting member of congress actively engaged in government operations, he was just an adviser and commentator.

Rand Paul

Rand, as far as I've seen so far, is much less willing to buck the party than his father is. It wouldn't endear him to the party if he ran against Romney in 2016.

Because he is playing everyone as the fools they are...... I suppose you catch more flies with honey than salt (i think thats how the saying goes)....

He knows what he's doing..... When he is president he will be exactly like his father...

Ron Paul is only stepping down because he knows his son is there to pick up where he left off...

That was a little different though, he wasn't a sitting member of congress actively engaged in government operations, he was just an adviser and commentator.

Fair point.

Because he is playing everyone as the fools they are...... I suppose you catch more flies with honey than salt (i think thats how the saying goes)....

He knows what he's doing..... When he is president he will be exactly like his father...

Ron Paul is only stepping down because he knows his son is there to pick up where he left off...

I don't know that he's "playing them for fools," I think he just has a different way of going about doing things.

Ross Perot did not have the backing of the establishment and he may have won had he not backed out half way through the election then rejoined. Establishment or not if the right person comes along with the right message the people can over rule the establishment. I await the day it happens.

I can only pray that is true. I'll be able to tell by watching how the establishment and the media play their roles. If it seems as though the establishment is basically handing something to him on a silver platter then I'm going to be a little leery that they know something about Rand that we don't.

I LIKE seeing my favored politicians get treated harshly by the establishment. That means they're GOOD.

Ross Perot did not have the backing of the establishment and he may have won had he not backed out half way through the election then rejoined. Establishment or not if the right person comes along with the right message the people can over rule the establishment. I await the day it happens.

Ross Perot was also a billionaire.

Ross Perot had media coverage. Everyone knew who he was, and whether the coverage was fair or not, at least his name and message was out there. Sometimes that can be good enough, and that's why sometimes the media will actually go out of their way to NOT make someone a subject of attention.

I can only pray that is true. I'll be able to tell by watching how the establishment and the media play their roles. If it seems as though the establishment is basically handing something to him on a silver platter then I'm going to be a little leery that they know something about Rand that we don't.

I LIKE seeing my favored politicians get treated harshly by the establishment. That means they're GOOD.

He's just playing the game..... He's trying to look as "mainstream as possible" then once elected he will pass his agenda... er "libertarian agenda."

I'm about as "crazy" as Ron Paul and I'm going to run in 2016 or 2018 for House here in Illinois....

When it comes to politics you cant show too much of your hand.... It's pretty much like poker - at least when you're campaigning. If your inspiration is to be president, then you gotta play your cards right..... 300,000 people wont all like you, but being a likeable guy helps.....'

He's just playing the game..... He's trying to look as "mainstream as possible" then once elected he will pass his agenda... er "libertarian agenda."

I'm about as "crazy" as Ron Paul and I'm going to run in 2016 or 2018 for House here in Illinois....

When it comes to politics you cant show too much of your hand.... It's pretty much like poker - at least when you're campaigning. If your inspiration is to be president, then you gotta play your cards right..... 300,000 people wont all like you, but being a likeable guy helps.....'

Yeah but I don't count on the establishment being that stupid though, because they just aren't. They've always got all angles covered. I'm sure they're quite prepared for a double cross. So as long as they don't anoint him, I'll feel a little more comfortable about it.

Forum List

Back