Rand Pauls 5 most controversial beliefs

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Rand Paul's 5 most controversial beliefs - The Week

1. Government shouldn't require private businesses to serve customers of all races
"I don’t like the idea of telling private business owners — I abhor racism. I think it’s a bad business decision to exclude anybody from your restaurant — but, at the same time, I do believe in private ownership."
—Interview with Louisville Courier-Journal, April 25, 2010

2. A nuclear Iran isn't necessarily a threat
"Our national security is not threatened by Iran having one nuclear weapon."
—Ron Paul rally, Burlington, VT, October 2007

3. The Department of Education is unconstitutional
"I am against any federal funding or control of education... There is no Constitutional enumeration for federal education. The Constitution allows states and cities to participate in education, period."
—Response to National Education Association questionnaire, June 2009

4. Rein in Medicare — but not Medicare's payments to doctors (presumably including Rand Paul, a practicing optometrist who says half his patients are on Medicare)
"Medicare is socialized medicine," and one way to control medical costs would be to impose a $2,000 deductible in the program. "But try selling that one in an election."
—Comments in Lexington, KY, June 2009

5. Mountaintop coal mining is good for real estate values
"I think whoever owns the property can do with the property as they wish, and if the coal company buys it from a private property owner and they want to do it, fine. The other thing is that I think coal gets a bad name, because apparently a lot of the land is desirable once it gets flattened out... I don’t think anyone’s going to be missing a hill or two here and there. Some people like the flat land, and some of it apparently has become rather valuable when it’s become flattened."
—TV interview, October 2009

Time will tell if Rand Paul is a "shoo-in". The more rookie mistakes he makes the less likely he'll win. Meg Whitman turned a + 50 point lead in California into a horse race while running negative ads and pushing a populist agenda.
Ideas do matter, and when one holds radical ideas, as does Rand Paul, the powers of the status quo as well as those who fear change, may very well pass on his extremist opinions and vote what they know.

Time will tell if Rand Paul is a "shoo-in". The more rookie mistakes he makes the less likely he'll win. Meg Whitman turned a + 50 point lead in California into a horse race while running negative ads and pushing a populist agenda.
Ideas do matter, and when one holds radical ideas, as does Rand Paul, the powers of the status quo as well as those who fear change, may very well pass on his extremist opinions and vote what they know.

Says a supporter of the biggest radical of all ..............

Rand Paul is turning into the joke of the week as he sticks to his Libertarian playbook.

Rand Paul said WHAT???

Rand Paul is turning into the joke of the week as he sticks to his Libertarian playbook.

Rand Paul said WHAT???
Rand Paul's Conservative Supporters Stand Up?Kind Of - The Gaggle Blog - Newsweek.com

Wow, Stossel, way to come to the defense of Rand Paul.
[excerpt]
John Stossel of Fox Business News, interviewed by Fox anchor Megyn Kelly. Stossel says he "totally agrees" with Paul, arguing that private groups and businesses should have the right of free association and that most private businesses would have allowed black patrons into their establishments had they been free to do so. “It was the government that made businesses not serve blacks,” argued Stossel. He said he does not condone racism but that private organizations have a right to their opinions. “Are you going to tell the black student association they should accept white students?” he asked Kelly. “It’s time to repeal that part of the law,” Stossel said. When it comes to private business, for better or worse, he argued, “it should be their right to be racist.” (You can watch Stossel's comments above, or here, from Media Matters.)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhd_TP5rG0c&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Fox's Stossel Advocates Repealing Part of the Civil Rights Act[/ame]

Rand Paul said WHAT???
Rand Paul's Conservative Supporters Stand Up?Kind Of - The Gaggle Blog - Newsweek.com

[excerpt]
John Stossel of Fox Business News, interviewed by Fox anchor Megyn Kelly. Stossel says he "totally agrees" with Paul, arguing that private groups and businesses should have the right of free association and that most private businesses would have allowed black patrons into their establishments had they been free to do so. “It was the government that made businesses not serve blacks,” argued Stossel. He said he does not condone racism but that private organizations have a right to their opinions. “Are you going to tell the black student association they should accept white students?” he asked Kelly. “It’s time to repeal that part of the law,” Stossel said. When it comes to private business, for better or worse, he argued, “it should be their right to be racist.” (You can watch Stossel's comments above, or here, from Media Matters.)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhd_TP5rG0c&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Fox's Stossel Advocates Repealing Part of the Civil Rights Act[/ame]

Its funny....Stossel used to be a legitimate reporter

Rand Paul and the Teabaggers have sure given cons permission to come out as racists.

Why can't a racist just be free to be a stupid ass racist, and you as a non-racist be free to ignore him, ostracize him, etc?

Why does there NEED to be laws?

Laws aren't ridding the world of racists. All they're doing is seeking to limit the number of times a racist can offend you. Why give the racist that much power anyway?

Rand Paul said WHAT???

[excerpt]

Thanks for that.

I'll admit it.

I've been growing a little woodie for Megyn Kelly.

Rand Paul said WHAT???

[excerpt]

Okay, I had never heard or read the argument that the law was the reason for segregation not the people before and now I have read it twice in the last half hour or so.

It simply does not mesh with my understanding of those times.

Immie

Rand Paul's 5 most controversial beliefs - The Week

1. Government shouldn't require private businesses to serve customers of all races
"I don’t like the idea of telling private business owners — I abhor racism. I think it’s a bad business decision to exclude anybody from your restaurant — but, at the same time, I do believe in private ownership."
—Interview with Louisville Courier-Journal, April 25, 2010

2. A nuclear Iran isn't necessarily a threat
"Our national security is not threatened by Iran having one nuclear weapon."
—Ron Paul rally, Burlington, VT, October 2007

3. The Department of Education is unconstitutional
"I am against any federal funding or control of education... There is no Constitutional enumeration for federal education. The Constitution allows states and cities to participate in education, period."
—Response to National Education Association questionnaire, June 2009

4. Rein in Medicare — but not Medicare's payments to doctors (presumably including Rand Paul, a practicing optometrist who says half his patients are on Medicare)
"Medicare is socialized medicine," and one way to control medical costs would be to impose a $2,000 deductible in the program. "But try selling that one in an election."
—Comments in Lexington, KY, June 2009

5. Mountaintop coal mining is good for real estate values
"I think whoever owns the property can do with the property as they wish, and if the coal company buys it from a private property owner and they want to do it, fine. The other thing is that I think coal gets a bad name, because apparently a lot of the land is desirable once it gets flattened out... I don’t think anyone’s going to be missing a hill or two here and there. Some people like the flat land, and some of it apparently has become rather valuable when it’s become flattened."
—TV interview, October 2009

pffffft

Okay, I had never heard or read the argument that the law was the reason for segregation not the people before and now I have read it twice in the last half hour or so.

Immie
It's a re-write of history Immie.

No law MADE private business owners - (or even the government - in the northern states) place "Whites Only" & "Colored to the Rear" signs up. That was the prerogative of the racists.

Your recollection of those times is better than Stossel's.

Last edited:

Immie
It's a re-write of history Immie.

No law MADE private business owners - (or even the government - in the northern states) place "Whites Only" & "Colored to the Rear" signs up. That was the prerogative of the racists.

Your recollection of those times is better than Stossel's.

As I said in the other thread, I can see how local ordinances might have been written requiring segregation, but that would have been the people of that community rather than the country at large making those laws.

If the community were dominated by people that believed it was okay to segregate, then you would think that the laws of that community would at least approve of it, if not actually, require it.

Immie

Rand Paul said WHAT???

[excerpt]

Its funny....Stossel used to be a legitimate reporter

Stossel has been through the FOX indoctrination, where the part of the brain that is used for rational thought is removed and replaced with a portion of the brain preserved from a white plantation owner from either the old south or South Africa during Apartheid. It usually take a couple years to complete the surgery and the brain washing. It was a lot easier with Beck because they were able to start from scratch. There was an empty space for them to work with.

Rand Paul and the Teabaggers have sure given cons permission to come out as racists.

Why can't a racist just be free to be a stupid ass racist, and you as a non-racist be free to ignore him, ostracize him, etc?

Laws aren't ridding the world of racists. All they're doing is seeking to limit the number of times a racist can offend you. Why give the racist that much power anyway?

The CRA hasn't stopped racism, obviously. I doubt that will ever happen until every human is the same tone of beige, then we'll pick on each other's eye colors.

Racists asses are free to be racist asses for the most part. There are still business owners, to this day, that will always find a 'more qualified candidate' than a black man.

Thing is, the CRA provides legal recourse. If someone has proof they were not given employment, or whatever, based on one or more of the characteristics in the CRA, then they have legal grounds for a civil suit. Our society has evolved, and so demanded from our government, that there should be that legal recourse. Millions of people fought, both with guns and words, to eventually have that ability to file those charges. These laws haven't abdicated society's ability--and in my view, responsibility--to mock and scorn racism; they just provide the legal environment we the people have demanded.

Forum List

Back