Rand Paul

Nov 10, 2009
He is coming to town to speak and I'm going to go see him. I'm taking my sons as well. Surprisingly, he is leading (but within the margin of error) in several polls in Kentucky, including a WHAS-TV poll released last week. I'm expecting a lot of the typical GOP talking points, but if he comes off with something pleasantly anti-establishment I'll let you know.

I expect the same talking points as Ron.

I also expect his opponents to steal his talking points as the campaign goes along, and move further right as they lose poll points. It's not like we haven't seen this happen every single time someone with this type of platform gets considerable recognition.

I watched it happen in front of my face during the republican presidential primaries, and I also watched it happen during the NJ republican primary race for governor.

Anyone who isn't recognizing it needs a frontal lobotomy.

I also expect his opponents to steal his talking points as the campaign goes along, and move further right as they lose poll points. It's not like we haven't seen this happen every single time someone with this type of platform gets considerable recognition.

I watched it happen in front of my face during the republican presidential primaries, and I also watched it happen during the NJ republican primary race for governor.

It's already happened if you look at the issues page on Trey Grayson's website.

We just got back. The group was kind of small, probably 75 people, but for a Tuesday night in small-town Kentucky not bad I guess. I talked with his campaign manager, David, for a while about the media and how they've tried to name Trey Grayson the GOP Senate contender by default by leaving Paul out of conversations. He said the good numbers have made Trey Grayson have to act much earlier than he wanted to; Grayson's plan was to do nothing until February or March and then rely on a little advertising but mainly name recognition.
When I said typical GOP talking points, I meant the run-of-the-mill "anti-Obama and Pelosi" stuff that most GOP'ers would identify with. I meant to say I don't think he will go off on the Fed or other issues that most Fox News or CNN watchers are completely unaware of. I was pleasantly surprised when he spoke about BOTH parties' contributions to the national debt. He mentioned Byrd's pork in West Virginia but also the Bridge to Nowhere. He also talked about the Republicans campaigning as conservatives and becoming Democrats after they won, in order to keep their seats.
He said several times that he wasn't doing this so he could get a job and also said he doesn't need this; he is doing it because he is worried about his country and wants to change Washington. He talked about how busy his days typically are; not about campaigning but rather his first job. Today he performed 7 cataract surgeries before heading to E'town to speak. This helped to illustrate that he is not just another politician.
One guy spoke up and said although he supports Trey Grayson, if Paul wins the primary he would give him all his support. I got to speak with him after the meeting and talked of his dad's "audit the Fed" bill and how it had become watered down. He told me that the watering down is not final yet and if he was in the Senate he would support auditing the Fed as well. He said he would also try to strengthen the dollar not by just auditing the Fed but mostly through trying to make the congress spend Constitutionally. He said the first two things he would introduce would be term limit and balanced budget amendments.
He is light years ahead of his dad as far as articulating his points. He made it a point to say that he was just staying true to the Republican platform, and not doing anything radical.

Last edited:

What issues has he changed on so far? I haven't really followed this all that much yet.

I did notice that Grayson tried an attack on Paul about raising out of state money while he himself was planning a fundraiser in NY :lol:

These guys crack me up. It's inevitable that the attacks and bullshit claims come near the end. I watched Rudy Giuliani and Steve Forbes pretty much singlehandedly kill Steve Lonegan's campaign in NJ 2 weeks before the primary, when he was still leading in the polls.

Some bullshit spin about how he would raise taxes :rolleyes: Lonegan was the only candidate that actually spelled out a comprehensive plan to LOWER taxes.

But taxes is the biggest buzz word here, so all it took was a couple ads funded by national party money, and they took our fence sitters and Christie won the primary.

People need to wake the fuck up.

Wow, he's got a looker for a wife too! That should help! :lol:

Is Paul running as a Republican or Libertarian?

I have not been following him much.

We just got rid of a DR. Governor.

What issues has he changed on so far? I haven't really followed this all that much yet.

I did notice that Grayson tried an attack on Paul about raising out of state money while he himself was planning a fundraiser in NY :lol:

These guys crack me up. It's inevitable that the attacks and bullshit claims come near the end. I watched Rudy Giuliani and Steve Forbes pretty much singlehandedly kill Steve Lonegan's campaign in NJ 2 weeks before the primary, when he was still leading in the polls.

Some bullshit spin about how he would raise taxes :rolleyes: Lonegan was the only candidate that actually spelled out a comprehensive plan to LOWER taxes.

But taxes is the biggest buzz word here, so all it took was a couple ads funded by national party money, and they took our fence sitters and Christie won the primary.

Well it's not that he really changed anything, it's just that it took him months to finally take a position on the issues and Rand's campaign has clearly made him move further to the right then he would've liked to I'm sure. He even mentions on his site that he'd support auditing the Fed.

Last edited:

Well it's not that he really changed anything, it's just that it took him months to finally take a position on the issues and Rand's campaign has clearly made him move further to the right then he would've liked to I'm sure. He even mentions on his site that the'd support auditing the Fed.
Yep, thanks to Ron now there's enough people that care about the Fed, even the establishment hacks have to mention it now.

I did a little reading on Rand's sight. Grayson was just going to do nothing until February or March and rely on his name, but now he's being forced to open his mouth :lol:

It'll be a tough fight and if recent history is any guide, Rand will come up just short. No way the establishment lets us have a senator. I've learned at this point not to get my hopes up anymore. It makes the loss less painful.

If nothing else, we're making these bastards WORK for it.

I can see the GOP using Palin or Gingrich to help with Trey Grayson's campaign and to get him elected. And then, when Grayson does the same shit as most of the other big-government loving GOOPers, the ones who voted for him will be bitching about the Democrats ruining our country.

Well it's not that he really changed anything, it's just that it took him months to finally take a position on the issues and Rand's campaign has clearly made him move further to the right then he would've liked to I'm sure. He even mentions on his site that the'd support auditing the Fed.
Yep, thanks to Ron now there's enough people that care about the Fed, even the establishment hacks have to mention it now.

I did a little reading on Rand's sight. Grayson was just going to do nothing until February or March and rely on his name, but now he's being forced to open his mouth :lol:

It'll be a tough fight and if recent history is any guide, Rand will come up just short. No way the establishment lets us have a senator. I've learned at this point not to get my hopes up anymore. It makes the loss less painful.

Yeah Grayson thought he was just going to coast into the Senate. Now another establishment Republican is thinking about joining the race because of the way Grayson has dropped the ball in this race. Unluckily this candidate would likely be better funded than Grayson or Rand due to her own personal wealth.

Yeah Grayson thought he was just going to coast into the Senate. Now another establishment Republican is thinking about joining the race because of the way Grayson has dropped the ball in this race. Unluckily this candidate would likely be better funded than Grayson or Rand due to her own personal wealth.

The establishment is ALWAYS one move ahead of us. We need massive amounts of money or else we'll never win one of these kinds of elections.

Dear Kentucky GOP,

Please nominate Rand Paul. The Democratic nominee will love the support.

Sincerely,
Polk

Dear Kentucky GOP,

Please nominate Rand Paul. The Democratic nominee will love the support.

Sincerely,
Polk

Yeah, I'm sure the Kentuckians will just love to cast another vote for universal healthcare. :doubt: Kentuckians usually send Republicans to Washington; this time should be no different. My concern is that they will vote in another big-government loving Republican rather than a small-government one.

Yea i like Rand. In some ways he's more practical than his dad is. I'm definitely rooting for him.

The establishment is ALWAYS one move ahead of us. We need massive amounts of money or else we'll never win one of these kinds of elections.

Well, the next money bomb for Rand is on December 16.

Rand Paul's Tea Party - December 16, 2009 Moneybomb

Forum List

Back