Rand Paul Is Single-Handedly Destroying the Patriot Act!

Giving Rand Paul credit on this. Don't like most of his views, but good for him for doing this. :clap2:

Yep same from here.

Agree. Not a big Paul fan but he is right

After almost ten years there is no need to rush this thing through. It was enacted during the post 9-11 panic and by its very name, it implied that you were not a "patriot" if you did not support it.

Congress needs to decide how much of the Constitution it wants to give away. If after ten years it is still needed, then they need to go through the process of making it permanent. We are no longer in an eminant crisis. Terrorists and bad guys will always be out there.

How much of our freedom do we want to give up to feel safe?

Holy balls! We are all in agreement on something. I hated the Patriot Act when it was first enacted. Reminded me too much of Something the Soviet Union would have thought of.:clap2:

I've been saying for a long time now that progressives and libertarians need to combine forces on the things we agree on. Civil liberties, foreign policy, corporate welfare - these are things that dominant Democrats and Republicans are lock step agreement on and they are wrong. We need to follow the lead of people like Ralph Nadar and Ron Paul:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/01/22/ron-paul-ralph-nader-agree-on-progressive-libertarian-alliance

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5FBCHKu2KU&feature=fvst]YouTube - ‪Chertoff and Company - The Cover Up (Body Scanners)‬‏[/ame]

I've been saying for a long time now that progressives and libertarians need to combine forces on the things we agree on. Civil liberties, foreign policy, corporate welfare - these are things that dominant Democrats and Republicans are lock step agreement on and they are wrong. We need to follow the lead of people like Ralph Nadar and Ron Paul:

Ron Paul, Ralph Nader agree on ‘progressive-libertarian alliance’ | The Raw Story

I agree... to a point. You see, I am what you would call a "liberaltarian". I agree with a lot of what the Libertarians stand for. However, I don't agree on their position on Social Programs. I'm sorry, we need to take care of our people too. Which Libertarians don't believe in.. at least from what I've read.

But, in the grand scheme of things... that's small potatoes that a work-around can be established.

But, in the grand scheme of things... that's small potatoes that a work-around can be established.

Exactly. If we sell our souls to military-industrial-bankers and piss away all our constitutional protections, the other issues are moot.

This might be the first political thread I've seen on this site with a unanimous opinion on something. I'm sure someone will come along to ruin it, but I will enjoy it while it lasts.

In the last election these candidates favored the Patriot act.
Obama, McCain

Those opposed.
Ron Paul, Dennis Kucinich, Cynthia McKinney. Chuck Baldwin, Ralph Nader.

How many of you voted for someone who favors the Patriot act?

Wish he'd do the same for the WAR in DRUGS, because that's where the laws are that are really eroding most citizens' civil rights.

That's part of his old man's Presidential platform... "end the war drugs."

So I'm informed.

Now we citizens just need to elected 545 others willing to do the same.

It really does not matter whether you take illegal drugs or not, the WoD has given our governmentS (note the plural please) the legal right to violate every one of our constitutional rights.

I don't know how many Americans are inprisoned directly as a result of the patriot act, but I know millions of Americans have had their lifes disrupted, in many cases destroyed as a result of these assinine laws.

So on the greater scale of injustice, which is really more dangerous to us?

I suspect the folks living on the border with Mexico are beginning to GET IT.

The only thing that surprised me about this thread is that I haven't heard anything on Fox, MSNBC or CNN about this. This is a pretty serious move, the Bush administration had told everyone that the Patriot Act was essential in fighting terror. Following that logic and Rand Paul is about to cripple domestic terror fighting ability - the truth is the government will continue even if it is illegal.

The only thing that surprised me about this thread is that I haven't heard anything on Fox, MSNBC or CNN about this. This is a pretty serious move, the Bush administration had told everyone that the Patriot Act was essential in fighting terror. Following that logic and Rand Paul is about to cripple domestic terror fighting ability - the truth is the government will continue even if it is illegal.

Following real logic, Bush and his buddies are making big bucks on the war on terror.

Ron Paul, Ralph Nader agree on ‘progressive-libertarian alliance’ | The Raw Story

I agree... to a point. You see, I am what you would call a "liberaltarian". I agree with a lot of what the Libertarians stand for. However, I don't agree on their position on Social Programs. I'm sorry, we need to take care of our people too. Which Libertarians don't believe in.. at least from what I've read.

That depends on which libertarian you talk to. In fact the official Libertarian Party position supports welfare in its original form and the reforms Clinton introduces that kept it solvent.

Good thing they remember to leave the light on at Motel 6...
:eek:
Hotels Warned of 'Mumbai-Style' Terror Threat
June 17, 2011 | Federal authorities are warning hotels in major U.S. cities to be vigilant after intelligence recently obtained in Somalia shows Al Qaeda was planning to launch a “Mumbai-style” attack on an upscale hotel in London, England, Fox News has learned exclusively.
The intelligence came from computer accessories and other materials gathered at the checkpoint in Mogadishu where Fazul Abdullah Mohammed, the Al Qaeda operative who masterminded the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in East Africa, was killed Saturday, according to sources. Al Qaeda was working on what one senior U.S. intelligence official described as an “aspirational” – but possibly operational – plot to target the Ritz Carlton hotel in London. As part of the plot, operatives would stay in strategically chosen rooms on the first floor of the hotel, and then they would set their rooms ablaze in hopes of trapping guests on the floors above. The senior intelligence official said authorities have a "duty to inform" the hotel industry and others about potential threats.

In November 2008, 10 gunmen launched a raid on hotels and cafes in Mumbai, India's financial capital. The attack spanned three days, killing 174 people and wounding more than 300 others. "On Thursday, federal authorities sent an email to hotel industry leaders to inform them of the latest intelligence from Somalia. It’s unclear if federal authorities were meeting with hotel representatives to discuss the matter further." Counterterrorism experts, meanwhile, were skeptical that Al Qaeda could successfully launch an attack like the one the terror group was eyeing, especially since systems inside modern hotels and emergency responders would stop the spread of a fire. An email seeking comment from authorities in London was not immediately returned.

Mohammed, born in the Comoros Islands, had been one of the FBI’s most-wanted terrorists. He was indicted in New York for allegedly masterminding the 1998 bombings at U.S. Embassies in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and Nairobi, Kenya, which killed a total of 224, including 12 Americans. The U.S. government had been offering a $5 million reward for information leading to his capture. “He is very good with computers,” the FBI said of Mohammed. The latest intelligence was believed to have been found on a thumb drive at the scene of his death.

U.S. authorities have become increasingly concerned about threats posed by Al Qaeda and other extremists inside Somalia. The country has been engulfed in a bloody civil war ever since dictator Siad Barre was ousted from power in 1991. Some worry it could become another safe haven for Al Qaeda, as extremist groups, particularly Somalia-based Al Shabab, gain ground there.

Read more: Hotels Warned of 'Mumbai-Style' Terror Threat - FoxNews.com

Forum List

Back